That Was Interesting - Handguns and Ammunition Forums
Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Administrator

That Was Interesting

Hello,

One of my neighbors started shooting his pistol; sounded like combat drills. (Gotta figure out which neighbor that is!)

It seems to be tradition along this street to ignore the anti-gunners and, when someone starts shooting, everyone else with a gun opens up. Interesting and fun!

I've been concentrating mostly on the Mosin-Nagant and its reloads lately, as well as the sights, trying to get the business up and running (I'm about 50% of where I want to be).

I am ashamed, therefore, to say that I have been neglecting the art of pistolcraft.

After playing sharpshooter with the Mosin (which will now cut pencil-sized twigs at 30 yards and finger-sized twigs at 50, with handloaded ammo and the use of the sling to steady it), I decided I'd break out the 1911 and give it a workout.

I got out the max loads as well.

Took aim, and *pop*. Huh? *pop pop pop pop pop pop pop* (reload) *poppop* *poppop* *poppop* *poppop*.

Huh. Odd.

I remembered more recoil!

The muzzle rise was right where I remembered it, but the recoil, subjectively speaking, was what I remember from larger .380 pistols.

Guess I got so used to being knocked around by 46+grns of powder that 5grns of whatever powder just isn't all that impressive any longer.

Kind of a shame.

Josh
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

You have rifle powder in your blood now. It can be addictive.
joe b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Regulator

I've experienced what you're talking about, Josh. I built a couple of 7mm Rem Mags one time and fired about fifty hot handloads in each of them in working up loads and chronographing them. The next time I went out with my M4006 with 165 grain LE JHP's in it, it still felt like a cap pistol.

In fact, at our milmatches, when it comes time to put the rifles away and have the pistol matches, I will often get on the PA system and say: "All right gentlemen, it is now time to put the real guns away and shoot the itty-bitty imitation rifles."

That one would get me lynched on some forums!

Jer
JayPee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
gib

Last month I was in AZ shooting my friends Grizzly 50 BMG. After a day of shooting I had to check and see if I still had my fillings.
gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

How'd it shoot, Josh? Better than you remember?
TXGunNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Administrator

It shot about the same, but I didn't close my eyes at all throughout the whole recoil.

When I noticed myself blinking a few years ago, I asked about it. I was told that blinking is normal and I'm just now noticing it, while it's only flinching (meaning hard blink) that wasn't normal.

It's kinda' cool watching the whole fire-eject-reload process on a 1911!

Josh

Search tags for this page

interesting handguns

Click on a term to search for related topics.