"Bull barrel" vs standard bushing barrel - Handguns and Ammunition Forums
Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #1

"Bull barrel" vs standard bushing barrel

STI offers either their "bull barrel" or the more traditional 1911 bushing barrel format in their pistols. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #2

As far as I know, the cone or bull barreled 1911s are not legal for IDPA competition for the most part. But other than that, I am not too sure there is either an advantage or a disadvantage. It does away with one part (as did the BHP-35 design) but it sort of complicates the takedown and reassembly process. I have only seen it up close with some of the shorter versions of the 1911 but they have sort of a bad rep for functioning. I am uncertain as to this being a contributing factor.
oberstlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Hello George,

Well, I've owned a Springfield Champion with the bull barrel and many other 1911's with the traditional barrel/bushing set-up.

The advantage of the bull barrel is that there is reduction in parts to "misaligned" during firing and the weight up front that improves dampening of recoil. This should contribute to better accuracy, but I didn't find any difference.

The disadvantage is that with eventual wear, you need to replace the barrel/slide assembly.

Bull barreled 1911's done "right" are really accurate shooters. However, you can achieve the same thing with traditionally designed 1911's by hand fitting the barrel bushing.

I sold my Champion and went back to the traditional Colt Commander.....I am very "old school" when it comes to my 1911's.

Chris

Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Regulator

Gents,

I see no real benefit to the coned barrel vice the standard bushing/barrel design. Except to be "different" and sell something.

I'll take my 1911's "old school" thank you very much.

Wes

weshowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #5

Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting and much appreciated.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

In re the bull barrel, I agree with Chris about the wear, and with Burgs about the take-down issue. I'd add that with my Kimber the barrel-to-slide fit is so tight that the gun sometimes develops FTE or FTF problems: the answer being that you have to keep the gun scrupulously clean. This is not an issue with my Colt, which has a bushinged barrel, and continues to function no matter how many rounds go through it or how dirty it gets. This is not a recommendation for shooting a dirty gun---I just mean the bull barrel seems fussier, which translates to less reliability, IMHO.
degatesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #7

Burgs,

When I had my SA Champion, I found the fastest way to strip it was to remove the slide stop and take the whole slide off. It made it easier to disassemble the slide from the barrel.

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #8

make mine a GI rod and fitted bushing to go please...
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #9

I own a 4" SA GI Champion, I don't know yet about the wear issue with the bull barrel cause I haven't shot mine that much to find out yet, but Chris's word is good enough for me, as for the take down issue I understand what Burgs is talking about the recoil spring being designed my Satan also. Say what you will though, I like shooting my GI Champion w/4" bull barrel, although I've only put close to 1,000rds through it, it has preformed great for me, for me its a cold weather carry in a shoulder holster. I've been a 45acp guy for over 50 years also and I own several 45acp's mostly with 5" bbls, but for carry I prefer the 4" models today, I'm built more for comfort these days, and I even keep a 3 1/2" bbl Taurus Millennium PT145 at the ready next to my puter desk. Pros and cons come and go all up and down the line, but for my 45's its like picking out a wine, we usually select the wine or 45 we like, not what some wine/gun writer tells us to drink/use, sure I read a lot of the info, and opinions and I get to try some of them out but in the long run its what works best for me.

BTW, I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination, but I am snowed in [we got 8" of snow last night] and needed to post about something.

Early this morning

Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #10

Burgs,

Very good explanation, I like the way you put it, and I can't blame you bit for feeling the way you do about the Combat Commander, if I had one I'd probably feel the same way.

Best Regards,

Papa
Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
1911 advantages
1911 bull barrel

1911 bull barrel vs bushing

advantages of bull barrell\
bull barrel 1911
bull barrel problems 45acp
bull barrel vs bushing
bull barrel vs bushing barrel
bull barrel vs bushing barrel 1911

bull barrel vs standard barrel

bull barrel vs standard barrel pistol
bull vs bushing barrel
bushing barrel vs bull barrel
l9ll bull barrel problem
what is the advantage with a bull barrel for a 4.25 inch 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.