9mm M1911 - Page 3 - Handguns and Ammunition Forums
Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #21

I run Metalform magazines in my (two) 9mm 1911's. They have been flawless (as have Tripps 10 rounders) in both guns.
The just finished 80 to 70 series Colt required a few hundred rds. to lap the slide to frame.
The combination of welded/lapped (frame) rails and Hardchrome needed to be "shot in" for 100% function.
As to accuracy; from the bench @ 25 yds. the Colt shoots 124 gr. Precision Delta HP's @ 1150+- FPS (range load) into 1" or less (5 shot groups).
I am quite pleased with this; I can no longer see well enough to shoot any better than that.
huntershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
I think this one might provide some eye candy to this discussion.
ltwguns.com ? View topic - Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm
That's a really nice looking gun he built. I looked at it the other day and then when back to read the story. I find his progression from a Government Model to Hi Power to the Lightweight Commander in 9mm interesting. His reasoning for the change is equally interesting. I'm going to have to leave my HP's home and take my Guardian to the range more often.

I've got a pair of Check Mate mags that came with the gun, a pair of Mec-Gar mags because I use their mags in the HP, and a Metalform mag to try it out. I haven't noticed much difference their performance. No failures to feed, but an occasional failure to lock open. I think that's probably my fault on my grip. I need to shoot this gun some more.

I did see an interesting post about tweaking a 1911 to be more reliable in 9mm. About half way through he talks about tweaking mags that sounded very much like setting up your .45 mags for different types of bullets. 1911Pro.com ? View topic - How to make a 9mm 1911 run reliably with hollow point ammo

This whole thread has been very informative. Thanks guys.

Last edited by vern; 01-17-2015 at 11:55 AM.
vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Briand: If you like, I can mail you 2 of my Springfield Armory (Metalform) 9shot magazines for testing. Honestly, they work 100% with this pistol. Any type of ammo, no BS. Novaks performed the work on my pistol obviously. Send me an email @ bwagss at yahoo dot com with your address. I'll give you a 2 month lend/lease contract since your an Ohioan also.

wags
Chuntaro and wags, guess I should have mentioned having plenty of 9 round magazines, mostly Metalform and Colt (which are probably also Metalform). No functioning issues. I was just slightly lamenting the notion that high dollar 10 rounders from Wilson are purported not to work right with hollow points and such when fully stoked.

Really appreciate the kind offers from you two. Hadn't even thought about Tripp for magazines, in my part of the world they are NEVER seen on store shelves. Me being a brick-and-mortar guy, "small brand" stuff often slips my mind. Except when it comes to bourbon.
briand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand View Post
... I was just slightly lamenting the notion that high dollar 10 rounders from Wilson are purported not to work right with hollow points and such when fully stoked.
Metalform makes an affordable 10 rounder that works flawlessly, as do the Tripp's (I wouldn't own a Wilson part if I could help it).
The Tripp 10 rounders seat hard as hell, the Metalform do not.

T
huntershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #25

I really wonder where all the bad press comes from on 9mm problems in a 1911. I have been shooting them for 30 years and can't even remember one malfunction. And that is with hollow points, cast round nose, cast truncated cone, jacketed flat points and all manner of factory ammo. Can't even come close to saying that about 1911s .45s...

Most of my 1911s are chambered for .38 Super but many of them have 9mm barrels fitted to them. Most will run 9x23 Winchester in the Super barrel with just the addition of a heavier recoil spring. Add a .22 conversion unit and one has a 4 caliber go anywhere handgun...how much better can it get...

Bob
RJM52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #26
Regulator

Bob,

I'd be interested in shooting a 9mm in a 1911 platform, as I've never done so...

On the other hand my 1911's in .45 ACP seem to work just fine.

Just scored an old Colt .22 Conversion unit in mint condition. THAT will be worth having.

All the best,

Wes

weshowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #27

Thumbs Up 9mm 1911

I recently added a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm to the bunch. I needed a platform for my Underwood 147 +P+ rounds I normally carry other than the HP. I have put almost a 1000 rounds of the Underwood, Federal HST and FMJ through it using both the Kimber mags and Wilson Combat 10 rounders. I have not had any FTF's FTE's or feeding problems with any of them. As with all HP rounds, I think it comes down to bullet shape and just testing what you want to carry. I know the Underwood's use Speer gold dots bullets. As with the 9mm bullets, I think the industry overall has responded to the shooting community's needs and refined the platform.
hpconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #28

I guess I should update my part in this thread since it is up at the top again. The used new Agent went back to the store that auctioned it. It had Prior Owner or gun store induced damage not disclosed in the pictures or description.

I did pick up the back from the past 2015 Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. I picked up five mecgar 10 round anti friction coated magazines. I only have the first 100 rounds through the gun but it did fine with both kinds of metal form, Tripp and the mecgar. When I say fine I mean zero stoppages.
chuntaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshowe View Post
Bob,

I'd be interested in shooting a 9mm in a 1911 platform, as I've never done so...

Wes

Just be real careful......shooting one is loving one!! Sometime back, I purchased an "as new" Kimber Aegis Pro ll in 9mm. I had given up on finding a nice older Colt Combat Commander in 9mm (Now Colt is making them again.....my luck). I use the kimber and Wilson combat mags in it, and, so far, it is running 100% including all of my handloads with different bullets. I really enjoy shooting this pistol.
gt40doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #30

Well mine is the lowly Taurus 1911 in 9mm with a fistful of Colt magazines. Gun functions flawlessly and is as accurate or better than I can shoot. it is a joy to shoot. Also expend a lot 9mm in Hi Power too.
popplecop is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
9mm 1911 magazine metalform dillon
chip mccormick 1911 9mm magazine

m1911 9mm

metalform 1911 magazines
pictures of 9mm handguns and magazines being loaded
tripp cobra officer mag in colt new agent
was m1911 ever chambered in 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.