9mm M1911 - Page 2 - Handguns and Ammunition Forums
Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

I kind of wish Springfield would come out with an enhanced bigger than micro pistol. A longer grip with flush fitting magazines and a commander length slide to eliminate the need for the bull barrel would be a must have for this kid.
chuntaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #12

9mm 1911

I have to side with Chuntaro on this one. I've had a full size Rock Island, a Taurus and a Colt Commander in 9mm. I had no malfunctions of any kind out of the Rock or the Taurus and very few with the Colt. I ran all available bullet weights and pressure levels with very few issues. The few malfunction I experienced seemed to be more of an issue of the bullet design. Very blunt tip hollow points were a problem in the Colt but that situation was easily alleviated by changing ammo. I do view the 9mm as a viable caliber in the 1911 platform and plan to add a new one this year.
hpconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

Colt Combat Commander 9mm

Here's a picture of my Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. It never ran right with the OEM Colt magazines with spacer located at the spine. Was told to use Springfield Armory (Metalform) magazines which I did and never again had problem. Some pictures of differences of magazines. Colt left, SA right.

wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

Wags:

Thanks for the picture and your history. I think when you get into 9mm and/or 40, any two guns might exhibit a preference for one or the other. Then you come across another that likes both. I wish I had tried the springfield style in that commander the gunsmith talked me out of being the owner. Maybe I will get that opportunity in his shop trap. I still may rebarrel one of my super commanders to nine mil at Colt. The problem with these forums is they seem to suggest more projects to me.

I think this one might provide some eye candy to this discussion.

http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9490

Last edited by chuntaro; 01-15-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Add link to Jason Burton 9mm
Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #15

In the last several months I've picked up two full size 1911s in 9mm. First was a Citadel from the RIA folks. Only glitch it ever showed was that the extractor needed some tweaking. Actually it seemed to "tweak" a little too easily due to slight softness so I dug out a Wilson 9mm extractor out of my parts box. Voila, problem sloved.

Couple of months ago I couldn't pass up an STI 'Spartan' in 9mm. Those have slides/frames made in the Phillipines but all small parts, and assembly are done in the U.S. Again, an extarctor issue ensued, but different than before. The inside edges of the part were making it tough for the top cartridge in the magazine to slide by on its way to the chamber. That just took some mild stone work to solve.

I have a mixture of magazines and both these guns work fine with them. (Years ago I owned a Colt '1991' chambered for 9mm and used it in speed steel matches, hence the convenience of having several mags loaded at the same time.)

Recently I splurged on a 10 round Wilson EMD 9mm magazine. It seemed to load and work with FMJ roundnose but much subsequent reading tells me that it may not be reliable with anything BUT ball ammo when loaded fully. That ain't what I wanted to hear, my plan was to get a few of them for defensive carry use. My limited testing with JHP ammo in said magazine leads me to believe that it will NOT be reliable for that purpose, so I'm not buying any more at this time.
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #16

Brian:

If you would like to try a Tripp Cobra 10rd 9mm risk free, let me know.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #17
cxm

I have used Chip McCormick brand exclusively for 9mm, 38 Super and 9x23 chambered 1911s.

Knock on wood, but to date they have worked without problems...

I ordered some of the new version of Wilson's 9mm magazines at the recommendation of Mas Ayoob. They have turned out to work equally as well in my guns anyway...

Anyway, I can recommend any of these mags.

FWIW

CHuck

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
cxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #18

Briand: If you like, I can mail you 2 of my Springfield Armory (Metalform) 9shot magazines for testing. Honestly, they work 100% with this pistol. Any type of ammo, no BS. Novaks performed the work on my pistol obviously. Send me an email @ bwagss at yahoo dot com with your address. I'll give you a 2 month lend/lease contract since your an Ohioan also.

wags
Old 01-16-2015, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Wags:

I think this one might provide some eye candy to this discussion.

ltwguns.com ? View topic - Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm
Drooooooooool. Super looking gun! Wow.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #20

I purchased two of the Wilson ETM 9mm mags to go along with my two Kimber 9mm mags for use in my Kimber Aegis Pro ll in 9mm. To date, all of the mags have worked well, even with my reloads, but I believe that the Wilson mags are a step better than the OEM mags.
gt40doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
9mm 1911 magazine metalform dillon
chip mccormick 1911 9mm magazine

m1911 9mm

metalform 1911 magazines
pictures of 9mm handguns and magazines being loaded
tripp cobra officer mag in colt new agent
was m1911 ever chambered in 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.