Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I thought I'd ask if any here have a preference in these two very different handgun designs. Some may very well prefer one type to the other for all purposes while other folks may favor one for certain specific ones.
It might be that some of our handgunners see one as being more versatile than the other or are drawn by a particular cartridge not readily available in certain revolvers or autos.

Your input is welcomed and thanks in advance for any thoughts and responses.

Best.

G

·
Stephen,

Interesting question. Normally, I carry semi-auto's for self defense. Most often a .45 ACP on a 1911 pattern semi-auto, I do use my G36 occasionally as a woods pistol. Usually, it's my secondary weapon that I keep for those that have unsavory tendencies.

Interestingly enough, when I hike, scout, etc. I normally carry a big bore revolver. My Colt Anaconda 4" or my S&W M57. Also, with a four inch barrel. I use Keith style cast bullets at about 950-100 FPS. These pack enough punch for anything I'm likely to run into in our coast mountains.

Wes

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

A very thoughtful and interesting subject.

My preference for hunting is generally a revolver with a 6" barrel for more carefully set-up and aimed shots at game and varmints on the family farm. My calibre/cartridge choice is based on the game being hunted.

For self defense, my preference is a semi-automatic pistol for reasons of concealability, cartridge capacity and familiarity since I shoot single action semi-autos the most. The calibre/cartridge choice that I select is based on more situational issues, i.e. what I am doing and where am I going.

My wife occasionally ask's me why I have so many guns, I point to the shoes in her closet, and I reply "guns are like shoes, you wear and have so many of them as depending upon the occasion".

I swear that my wife has as many shoes as Imelda Marcos did...(the wife of former phillipine dicator Fernandine Marcos who had a legendary collection of shoes).

Chris

·
Registered
321 Posts
Steve,

I suppose that overall I prefer "classic" revolvers for their aesthetics, character and versatility. However, for serious purposes, I recognize the advantages of the BHP and prefer it over any wheelgun if the perceived threat level is elevated.

PGM

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

I prefer the semiauto over the wheel guns.

Take Care,
The Sockman

G

·
My carry guns are usually semiautos for practical reasons like capacity, concealability, and weight, but I find revolvers more interesting and more fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sir,

I prefer the self-loader for defense.

For hunting, I did enjoy using my Ruger Super Single Six for small game. I am compelled in this state to use a revolver for deer hunting and have used a Smith and Wesson M19 in the past.

Overall however, it is the autoloader.

Josh <><

G

·
Steve,

To answer your question, I prefer wheelguns. Their aesthetics, history, feel, wider selection of calibers and barrel lenghts all appeal to me more than pistols.

But each type has its place.

It's surely hard to beat the pistol's greater firepower and concealabity when it comes to all around self-defense. And for this reason, I still own one.

Max

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello and thanks to all for their insights and shared views on this topic.

I'm really not sure which camp I'm in (pun intended), but I suspect it's the autoloader...but by not too wide a margin. When toting a belt gun in the woods, to the range, or for self-protection, it is usually a semiautomatic in either 9mm or .45 ACP.

This lightly modified Norinco 1911 is a pistol I've carried for serious purposes as well as to have fun with at the range. Fun is toward the top of my priority list.

My 24/7 handgun is this fairly worn S&W Model 642...so if asked what I carry most often, it has to be a revolver. In a small package I do prefer the snubs for reliability and the fact that weight is farther forward for pocket carry.

This Model 24 is strictly a range and field revolver. It would do nicely for defense if required, but I've never considered it for that role. Someone mentioned liking the "classic looks" of some of the S&W revolvers. I really like them, too.

In 9mm, I'm pretty happy with either of these, but do prefer the Hi Power Mk III. I guess when toting a belt gun, I'm most often found with some sort of Hi Power. The one shown has had a few minor alterations and has been carried more frequently than other Hi Powers.

Not so much anymore, I used to carry this Model 19 on the belt; now if it's in a belt holster, it's an automatic.

For just knocking around the woods, the action/gun I prefer actually depends on if I'm in the revolver or automatic "mode" that day. If I absolutely knew I was going to have to get in a handgun fight, I'd pick an automatic, probably a 1911 .45, but wouldn't feel undergunned if I wound up with my 9mm Hi Power. For pocket or back up carry, my BUG is likely to remain the Model 642 or an Airweight J-frame of some sort. It's just what "works" for me.

At the same time, if told I could "only" use a revolver, I wouldn't be feeling that all was lost by any means. The revolver has proven itself capable in skilled hands in my experience in scenarios that most private citizens might encounter.

It's my opinion that the type handgun one likes or prefers is very secondary to his or her skill with it. The ability (and willingness) to use it in dire straights when no other reasonable alternative exists tops action type or caliber choices in my view, though I personally don't care to drop below .38 Special +P.

Best.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Stephen already knows what gun I carry, but for those who don't know me, I carry a BHP. Having said that, during the days other people were paying me to carry a gun, I carried revolvers and semi-autos as the powers dictated. I felt equally well armed with either.

So, why do I now carry a semi in preference to a revolver?

The foremost reason is functionality. I know that everytime I pull out my Hi-Power it will work. I know that in the unlikely event that it were to jam, the jam can be easily cleared.

I also know that it is more impervious to dirt and crud. My experience has been that revolvers are more easily jammed up by all manner of debris. I've seen both Colts and S&Ws bind up on as little as one flake of unburnt powder. I've also seen lint from a cover garment lobge itself in the hammer way, and in between the cylinder and the frame. These were guns carried by LEO's who cleaned and inspected their guns regularly - often daily.

Digressing slightly, this why I don't like semi-autos with exposed trigger bars (Beretta, Taurus, Walther P88).

I won't even mention the numbers of duty revolvers I saw over the years that had so much carbon built up on the front of the cylinders from range use that the cylinders would barely turn.

Secondly, there is re-loading speed. I personally have never been able to dump the empties and load six rounds into a revolver has I have been able to dump and load a new magazine into any semi. I genuinely doubt that anyone can load a revolver faster than they can a semi.

G

·
I have spent so many years and so many thousands of rounds, that I'm better with a 1911. For self defense, the 45 auto wins hands down. For everything else, including back up, I go with the wheel. I LIKE revolvers better. I shoot the 1911 better. So it depends on use for me. The only semi-autos I own any more are my 1911s. All the others have been sold or traded for other toys.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Semiauto for me. Sold my wheelguns, I've only had a few but I've never had one that I could shoot well. I tried, but decided why fight it? Went with what works for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably said this many times before, but 5 shot snubby in the pocket, and a 13+1 double-column 380 off body ( but in reach ) for a New York reload.

If I end up scared enough I suppose I'd carry 2 380's. But then I'd have no way to get at them without dropping my shotgun or FAL.

Better make that both/and .

G

·
No surprise, I have always prefered revolvers for just about everything. Big revolvers for hunting, small revolvers for pocket carry, medium ones for belt carry and .22 revolvers for fun. I do shoot autos some but I always go back to the round gun. My best IDPA classifier score with a revolver was a 117, with an auto my best was a 114. After 90 rounds, 13 draws from the holster and 4 reloads with shots fired from 7 to 25 yards I am only 4 seconds faster with an auto than my 3" Ruger GP-100. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I didn't answer at first because I was trying to come up with an either/or answer, which is patently impossible.

I use the gun that best suits the purpose. For carry in warm weather when I can't conceal a full sized auto, I carry a J frame S&W in a pocket holster, though I'd prefer an autoloader on my belt.

For fun shooting lately I've shown up as often as not with an N frame S&W, but I never carry one. Okay, once or twice I've carried a 625 with a couple of extra moon clips of hollowpoints in a coat pocket. I've also carried a Model 57 .41 Magnum once or twice or a 2 1/2" M66.

My particular tastes seem to change with the seasons or even for no apparent reason. I used to own autos only in .45 caliber, but now I'm about evenly balanced with .45 and 9x19. I shoot more of the smaller caliber.

I'm rambling, so I'll just sum up with "revolver for fun, auto for business."

G

·
I think semi-auto's are cool and easier to carry. Also great for home defense.

I think revolvers are "old school", easier to learn and more fun to shoot.

When I first "got into" handguns, I thought I'd only own semi-auto's, but after watching the wheel guys on the range, I bought a GP100. That gun may be the plainest gun I own, but I never go to the range without it. I love to shoot it because it's comfortable and I'm accurate with it, without working too hard.

I own several of each, and find that comforting. :)

G

·
I'm an autoloader guy myself. I fully intend to gain more proficiency in the revolver world - make no mistake, I can stay on target, with rather rapid firing as is, but I'm nowhere near as skilled as I could be. Right now, I obviously don't have the ability to train on a revolver (or a pistol really, it's just me an my M16 here), but when I get home I'll try to more evenly split my training. I love all firearms, so I can't call a "favorite", but as a preference for carry, hunting, and any other use in the handgun world, the nod goes to semi autos, for the time being anyway.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts