Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this falls under the tactics category, but it could also be placed in General Discussion. If a moderator thinks another forum is appropriate, please move the thread.

Concealed carry, why do you carry? IE: What were your specific motivations to apply and recieve your legal permit to carry concealed?

What (if any) should be the requirements to recieve your permit, aside from the standard guidelines, such as no felony convictions, sound mental state, etc. In other words, do you believe a test, or a series of tests should be required?

__

Ok, time for a little personal soapbox bit.

I cannot legally carry concealed, not because of a felony conviction, or a lack of sound mental capacity, but because by law, I must be 21 years old to apply and recieve my Texas State CHL. Now, in my opinion I view this as an infringment of my 2nd Amendment Rights, however, because Federal Law States I cannot purchase a handgun until I am 21(I can legally OWN one, I just cannot purchase one), attempting to see this law changed seems frivilous as best.

Now, I have decided that I personally shall be testing for my CHL on my 21st birthday, when I am legally able to do so. From that point onward, I will carry until, I either cease to be, or get too old to be of a sound mental state. My choices for carrying are simple, I believe in the protection of my person, and my loved ones. I believe that criminals are not scrupulous people, who will not harm me, if I just hand over my money. And I believe that it is my personal duty and right to protect myself and not be optionless, in the unfortunate event of having a criminal/violent act perpetuated against me.

As far as training goes, I have not attended a Texas CHL class, so I am not familiar with how in-depth the class goes, but I do believe that training and a qualification should be required. One that is as strict if not more so than police qualifications. We arm and trust police officers who have regular training, and education with overt carry of firearms. To allow civilians to carry concealed, qualifications and education should be on par with police officers. I hope that does not make me sound like an "Anti-Gun" person, but I do believe that proper training and a good amount of it, should be required. That would make me personally feel confident and safe in my fellow CCW/CHL permit holders and carriers.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and insight on this subject. I also apologize for my long winded post. ;)

-Rob

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
For me, first and foremost, I made myself a promise during my first tour of duty in Vietnam that I would NEVER be a helpless victim. Even then, I had seen and experienced enough that I promised myself I would never be without the ability, the capacity, the means, the instruments or the will to resist tyranny, or evil perpetrated against me or those I love. Later, I spent a few years working in law enforcement. Dealing with a number of people who could easily have been called personifications of evil only served to re-inforce my determination to NEVER be a helpless victim.

Then just to ice the cake, I've had some death threats presumably from some of the less upstanding members of society who's paths I crossed over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I carried essentially all my adult life from 22 yoa on, first as a peace officer and now as a CHL holder and instructor.

I have always supported the honest citizen's absolute right to be able to defend themselves and favored CHL long before it became law. Part of this stems from an off duty encounter in which 3 dudes wanted to rob me but I was armed. What if I'd not been an officer and carrying? I might not be here today; who can say?

After 25 years on the street, I have seen what is out there and realize that for some, thankfully a minority, our lives, welfare, pain, etc mean zip.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Rob,

When the Law Abiding Citizens Self Defense Act was passed in the State of SC in 1996, I was among the first and many to enroll and get my concealed weapons permit.

Why? In my opinion, the right to defend yourself and your family extends well beyond the confines of your home and property. To me, it is the duty of every reasonable person to do the same.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Hi Rob,

I carry because I can, and feel it is my duty to do so under my state and country's constitutions. Indiana lets us begin at age 18. I've carried since I was 20.

I made the decision not to be anyone's victim and haven't been since the 4th grade.

Avoidance is the best defense, followed by de-esculation of a violent situation. A pistol clearing leather means that the situation has totally broken down and you have to use last ditch efforts to save your life.

Josh <><

·
Registered
502 Posts
I echo what Steve & Abninftr said above. The NRA slogan applies: "(I refuse to be a victim"). I cannot predict when/where a crime will occur that directly affects me at a specific location (can you?)--therefore I carry legally all the time as a CCW holder. Regards, G>M>F>

G

·
I faced a similar dilema myself in the very same Great State of Texas. I had my Colt Combat Commander at 18, but couldn't carry until I was 21. Even though I enlisted at 20! I was trusted by the government with machine guns, grenade launchers, and wire-guided missles, but not with a handgun if I wasn't in uniform!

Training is important, but the most important training I can suggest essentially boils down to a good grasp on the fundamentals of marksmanship - they don't change regardless of the weapons system. When I took my CHL course I spent several hours in the classroom learning the rules - strikingly similar to my rules of engagement here in Iraq. The actual qualifiaction test is not difficult at all. I do not remember the actual strings of fire, but they're timed, and involve hitting a massive target at short ranges. 5 rounds in 3 seconds is an eternity, you can literally take your sweet time with each shot. Practice raising from the low ready, to the high ready, and firing one well aimed shot into a target at 10 yards in 3 seconds - eventually you'll be surprised how quickly you can get ready, aim and fire - and how much time is left before you hear the end of 3 seconds. You'll then understand how easy it is to do the same thing 5 times in the same amount of time.

As far as why do I carry? When I lived in Malaysia a decade ago, I was attacked by a man with a knife. I was cut, as was he. I remembered life in Midland, Texas where I had a 12 gauge and knew how to use it. I couldn't wait to get back to the States where the ownership of tools enabling me to better fight off an attack of that nature was legal. I got back, and learned that I couldn't carry till I was 21 - that became a goal. I would get my CHL upon my 21st birthday all things permitting. I didn't forsee that I would enlist in the Army, and be preparing to go to war on my 21st birthday, so things got postponed a bit, but I did take the class just before deploying, and in one of my first letters from home was informed that my CHL had arrived at home.

Anthony

·
Registered
51 Posts
As a Citizen I am responsible for my own safety. As a Husband and Father I am responsible for the safety of my wife and daughter. Carrying a weapon is the same as wearing seat belts and keeping a fire extinguisher and first aid kit handy. Prudent preparation.

I disagree with one part of your post: "To allow civilians to carry concealed, qualifications and education should be on par with police officers."

Police officers and private citizens have 2 different "missions". LEO's are charged to move INTO trouble, and citizens should be moving AWAY from trouble (granted this sometime requires the use of force).

Police spend every duty shift going from situation to situation with a potential of escalating to deadly force at any time. If their opponent breaks off contact and runs, they usually have a duty to pursue and capture if possible.

If you, as a private citizen, spend your life in those type of situations, you need to reconsider your habits. If you're attacked and are able to force the aggressor to break contact, you should be running the other way, not pursuing.

Police are acting as agents of the government, and are held to a higher level or performance due their position. You as a private citizen are acting only on your own behalf and/or those you are protecting.

My point is, that due to their differing "mission sets", police should have a much higher level of training than a private citizen with a CCW.

Think of it as the difference between an EMT (high level of training, responding to situations on a daily basis) and a private citizen performing first aid (basic training, may never need it, performing basic life support only).

I also have a problem with this concept as it could be a back door way for aniti's to discourage and reduce CCW: "Sure you can get a CCW permit, as long you graduate from our Police Academy firearms course and re-qual quarterly on OUR ranges, all at YOUR expense. Ooops, sorry, all slots are filled for this quarter.".

Training is important, and I agree that those carrying a CCW should be knowledgeable of the law pertaining to THEIR use of a weapon, and are able to handle it safely. But they only need the "advance first aid" training, not the "EMT" level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started carrying here in Florida after Hurricane Andrew...helped a buddy salvage his belongings in South Miami after his house was wrecked. There was a total breakdown in society there: no water, electricity, or medical help...lots of looting, roving gangs, etc.--no calling 911 if you were in trouble. Fortunately, my friend had an M1 carbine and a couple of handguns which we took with us each day.

Around the same time (I think it was the year before Andrew), we all watched the chaos of the LA riots along with the images of motorists being pulled from their cars and beaten and some killed. After these two events, I realized that you need to take reponsibility for your own safety and protection. Did my homework, got training, bought a gun, and have been carrying ever since. On a side note, it also opened the door to a new hobby of collecting which has brought a lot of enjoyment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I carry because I can. Frankly I never really worried too much about a permit. I either open carried, or I figured the only way someone would know I was "packing" would be if I had to use the gun, and then the "No CCP" would be the first charge the DA would drop to make a deal. If he didn't I was in REAL trouble anyway.

Then when the law was changed in Virginia to make it easier for law abiding citizens to obtain a permit I just kept putting off getting one until my wife finally pointed out to me just how important it was to get the permit rather you ever used it or not. "If we the people don't get the permits, "THEY" will say "No one wanted this law, let's get rid of it." Good logic for a Chicago girl, who knew what it was like to live someplace where it was difficult or worse to even own a gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts