Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. One aspect of handgun use is as an "insurance policy" for unexpected criminal acts of violence against us or loved ones. Like many of you, I carry (lawfully) and try to pick an adequate caliber/load and be competent with it.

At the same time, fun is waaaaaaaaaaaay toward the top of my list and I enjoy shooting just for fun, too.

Favorite fun guns for me include:

Six-inch Caspian 1911 .45

Colt/Caspian 1911 .45 that was done for me by gunsmith, Lou Williamson

9mm FN GP Competition Hi Power

S&W Model 10 4" HB

S&W Model 24 6"

I do have a couple of .22 pistols, but I just don't get a kick out of shooting them (pardon the pun) and use them mainly for "work"i.e., practicing trigger control, sight picture, and so forth.

What are your choices?

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

My fun handgun was a Single Six w/conversion cylinder that I stupidly traded away. I wish I had that back- it's the one that my grandpa used to demostrate pistol shooting to me (it was bought new though- not an heirloom or anything). I plan to get another.

After that, any single action would go, though I'm currently looking at a Schofield and an 1872 open top, both replicas. I love single actions, what can I say?

But, for now, my fun gun and hunting gun is my .22 Romanian trainer. I have only one handgun and that's the Taurus. I find with proper loads it can run the fun to SD gamut. I also think this is what helps keep me sharp on it.

This is me practicing before heading into the woods for an overnight stay. I'm loaded with Winchester ball ammo in my 'junk' magazine and am practicing draw-and-point shooting at a can 15yds away. On me are two magazines of defense ammo and this tactic has come in handy. Big racoon problem and they're often prepared to fight for my food. But, the plinking is fun.

I think the pic says it all. Heck, I love doing that- the quick-draw pistolero method and being rewarded by a dead-center hit, point shooting, at that 15 yds. Many times it gets treated like a high powered .22 pistol
Though it's the only one I have (and so I talk about it the majority of the time) this pistol will remain a fun favorite as well as a defensive favorite.

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, Josh! I've got one ol' early model Taurus 92. Don't shoot it as much as I should, but it's been utterly reliable and frankly, I was surprised at the accuracy...with the muzzle end of the barrel not really supported!

A friend who is poison accurate with his 1911 pistols, used to compete in club matches and elsewhere with a PT-99 (just for the more visible sights) and won most matches using it.

Best.

G

·
Sir,

As you might have guessed, my two favorite "fun guns" are custom Caspian 5" 1911's in .45, which are also my "work" guns.

I enjoy shooting any type of gun but find those two to be especially pleasing. For it to be fun for me it has to be comfortable to shoot, and accurate. I shot a Ruger single action not too long ago loaded with "moderate" Casull's and found it much more comfortable than expected. I cannot say the same for the S&W 640something in .357 Magnum. While not intolerable, I wouldn't try to put 300 rounds through it for "fun".

Even though I have semi's in .22, .380, 9, 10, and .40 and a few revolvers to choose from, when packing a bag for the range I seem to always pick the full sized 1911's, and rarely shoot the Defender or Commander sized guns.

Having said that, the "gun" I press the trigger on the most isn't a firearm at all, its an air pistol made by Webley. I can shoot it at home, even inside if my lovely isn't there to object. Great for trigger control practice.

MB

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Yessir, and my the mag release on my '91 model is pinned but reversable

Sub-2" 25yd groups seem to be the norm for a person who can really get his hand on the grip and has plenty of practice.

A quick field strip of mine shows barrel support up to the beginning of the dust cover. This might explain the accuracy potential as it is supported at a couple points.

Let me know if the reversable mag release thing starts getting old btw ;)

<><,

Josh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since 1911s are, and always have been, my favorite handguns I would choose my Kimber Custom II .45 as my favorite fun gun. It seems to be the one gun that always goes to the range regardless of what else I bring. Close behind my Custom II would be my Kimber Rimfire Target .22, all the fun of a 1911 but cheap to shoot as well.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahahahaha! Not a problem, Josh.

The "reversible thing" he's speaking of is the magazine release on the Taurus PT92 pistol. I'd said they were not reversible as a pin had to be removed from the frame. He advised they were, but that the pin had to be removed, but when the safety was reversed it could be put back in and works fine for lefties.

I trust what he says and have not tried it because:

I'm a right-handed shooter.

I'm a ham-handed shooter and tinker.

I'll lose the roll pin for sure.

I'll probably break something!

Best.

G

·
An interesting note on that Hi-Power when I purchased it from the local Coast to Coast store it came with a 10 to 15 pound trigger pull. Not knowing any better I sent it back to Browning and asked them to change the pull to 4 puonds. They did with no questions asked. Ah the good old pre litigation days.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

My favorite handgun for fun is, The 9mm FN/Browning High Power.

I favor the HP in this reguard for several reasons... cheap ammo, very fun to shoot, feels great in my hand, low recoil and last but not least, I'm having fun & practicing at the same time with the pistol that I dearly love & love to carry.

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I think I was misunderstood... the pin doesn't even have to come out!

I am going to take a bunch of pics and show ya' how to do it. Not trying to go off topic here... but I leave it in righty configuration because I find it's much easier to release the mag with my middle finger of my shooting hand (I'm a lefty).

I've heard of other lefties who prefer this. My only warning is that, since the trigger isn't "rolled away" from your trigger finger, you must be very aware of that fact.

Ok, back to topic, sorry.

Josh <><

·
Registered
637 Posts
Of course, my choice of a favorite "fun gun" changes more often than the seasons, but at the moment it is a 5" .32-20 S&W Hand Ejector (Model of 1905, 2nd Change). It's in excellent condition with a perfect bore. Now if I could only figure out how those shooters of a hundred years ago mastered those minuscule sights.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Corky,

They didn't.

The proper stance was strong hand only, elbow slightly bent, with the handgun a bit below eye level. This allowed one to align the barrel with the target.

With practice, it works well out to 15yds or so depending upon the shooter.

If you would like to try it, set up a coffee can, walk fifteen paces, turn and draw at the same time, then fire. With practice I've come to be able to hit one dead center most of the time within a respectable amount of time.

Another pearl of wisdom was to shoot them in the guts. Supposedly this would stop the fight. I believe that more fights were stopped by this method because for a long time gutshots were not surviable- sepsis set in quickly without antibiotics and modern medicine. This knowledge would bring about a psychological "stop" reaction due to knowledge of immenent death. Kinda' like we're programmed by TV to go down immediately if hit.

<><,

Josh

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mr. Smith,
Coincidentally, I have been practicing point shooting at five and seven yards as of late and have been pleasantly surprised by the results obtained as long as the barrel is within my peripheral vision. I look forward to trying your suggestion at fifteen yards. From a rest and fired slowly single action, this .32-20 gives me 2.5 to 3" groups at 20 yards as I battle those tiny sights through trifocals.
I've examined several fine handguns of that period and found that even "target" versions' adjustable sights are minute. This has always been a mystery to me. Thanks for your input.

G

·
Tough call.....

Although it does get carried for CCW use,my Model 15-2 [email protected] in the 4" bbl is probably my "fun gun" more than the others simply because it's so easy to shoot well and of course,being a .38sp allows it almost infinite choices of cheap ammo.
It does everything well and puts a smile on my face each time I go to the range.It's almost certain I'll end up next to someone blasting away with the latest gee whiz auto on the market,getting shotgun patterns at 7 yrds,while I calmly roll off cylinderfuls of +p into the nine and ten ring at more than twice that distance.

This gun makes it easy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts