Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the aftermath of a shooting your local authorities yank your CCW permit. You know that the deceased has family and friends who will come after you.

Do you carry without a permit, deep concealment, and so in protecting yourself you also break the law? Or do you depend on another, less effective weapon? Or, do you lie down and take it? Or, do you do something else I've not listed?

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do not have a permit to be revoked, yet.

However, I have personally had threats made against me and my family, by a convicted felon with a history of violence. After the threat was made, I could be found carrying my Ruger P95 around my house and a PPK clone chambered in .22LR outside my home(yes .22, because it was the most concealable gun I owned at the time). I did not carry in this manner long (about a week), before the man was convinced by police and a district attorney to stop threatening my family.

There have been other times, where I can fully admit and defend my actions to carry without a permit. One instance that comes to mind, was when my father and I had a job to do in a VERY bad part of town. The choice to not accept the job wasn't there, as my family and I have to eat. In this instance the threat level of possibly being attacked or robbed was, we felt extremely high, due to the fact a police officer had been shot in the same neighborhood(one block over), only two days before our job. We could both be found packing pistols during that day.

I feel, that my actions were defensible and justified. Quite frankly, I feel that my life and the life of my family and loved ones IS worth more than any law. I respect the law and try not to break it, but when there imminent danger and a high level of threat? I feel that I can justify my actions.

It would also seem that the State of Texas might justify these actions. As an arrest and conviction of carrying a concealed handgun without a permit is "only" a Class A misdemeanor. Meaning the offense is punishble by fine, community service, and the revocation of your right to a concealed handgun license (for a period of 3 or 5 years, I forget which). The fact that the crime does not include jail time, and the use of a weapon in justifiable self-defense is not a crime, means to me that I can "do the time, if I do the crime".

-Rob

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Josh,
This is a tough one and a very personal choice. A case of the doctrine of competing harms.
If the threat has been documented the courts should allow you a means of defense. Again, documented. If not, you've some tough choices to make concerning your safety and that of your loved ones. If a family member has a CCW have them carry for you and themselves. Have a weapon available or afford yourself the protection of other family members.
We had a similar case where one of my students had testified against a local sending him to prison for the third time. Threats were made, but the county sheriff could do nothing at that point. They told her to get a CHL. Hence my class and training. I'll never forget her tears and reaction at our graduation ceremony. She said, "now I have an option". Perhaps that's what we're really looking for...options. Interestingly, the sheriff raided the home of the perpetrator's mother. Finding detailed plans of how they were going to kill the entire family. That's one of those "wins" we remember as trainers.
After exploring and studying the threat I'd probably carry and sort it out later. At least you'ld be alive to do so.
Wes

·
Registered
720 Posts
here in Alabama in don't matter since the new "Castle Doctrine" law has been signed by gov.
I haven't asked to see for sure if it means you don't need a CCW permit for your house, in your car, in your business. But I assume that's what the law means...anybody can defend themself at home, etc. without a permit. Those are really the main places you might have to shoot someone. Out in the open it should be easy to retreat from the area, get in your car or in your house before having to actually fire your gun.
Just some thoughts,
og

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my jurisdiction I have the option of carrying openly if I so desire. If I was dealing with the investigative fallout of a "good" shooting and my CHL was revoked, I COULD just carry openly if I felt the need. Of course it would be interesting to ask someone who knows what are the ramifications of a situation in which someone living in state A, has valid and recogniozed CHLs from states B & C and shoots a goblin? Which state has the authority revoke which permit? If the shooter says "yes, I have a permit from state B and state A contacts state B and gets temporary suspension invoked, carry on permit from state C may still be valid...HMMM... always have a backup plan!

G

·
Tell ya what, my family and I come before any man made law. I will not be made unable to protect same, just become a whole lot more careful HOW I carry!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Touchy subject.
But, with the mention that the deceased family may come looking for me, I'm carrying.... and I'll probably be figuring out a way to conceal a long gun.

I'm a stay-home Dad due to a back injury/condition.
This means at least one of our kids is with me almost all the time. Therefore, THAT is my first concern.
It also means that I can't run away very well- And that's too bad for the deceased's family if they endanger may child.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I voted other. However I have never had anyone threaten myself of family.

I would try to develop my awareness level up as much as I could without going insane about it (like that would be possible).

Change my routes home once or twice a week to make it a little harder on someone to ambush me. By changing your routes it might be easier to notice someone tailing you.

Of course in Alabama, where I live, and Georgia, where I work, I could have a longgun in the vehicle and nothing would be said...

I live in a neighborhood where it is mostly my family so anything really out of the ordinary is usually noticed and butted into.

Setup noisemaking traps around the house where unless they are an ex-Navy SEAL they are going to make a good racket to alert me.

Of course this is coming from an armchair warrior...

G

·
Of course, sir, as a law-abiding servant of this great nation I would hesitate to violate any of its laws unless no other alternative was available to me.

G

·
My state also allows open carry(except in Denver, but Denver sucks anyway) so I suppose I'd have no choice but to do that instead. My state also allows things like pepper spray and tasers, so when it's not prudent to open carry I find it prudent to be so-equipped...not that I'm ever without pepper spray...non-lethal options are always nice to have...

G

·
With the police not having to come if you need help, thanks to TSCUS, I would carry anyway. I did that before we got the CCW law passed and would do it again. Around here we are seing a major increase in gang activity, they just arrested 4 Marines who are Crips in a meeting with multiple other Crip members planning a "fight", read attack, at a high school football game. Add to that the number of sex offenders around the area and not carrying looks like a good way to "meet your maker" in a big hurry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts