Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i mean the smallest gun you would carry when just nothing else will do.....

when its hot, humid and youre at a picnic playing horseshoes to humor the in-laws.....

ive narrowed it down to a Colt Mustang .380 or a Seecamp .32

both are within the same price range, both come in s.s. for the rust resistance, one is in a better caliber, the other is even more so the smaller, both are top of the line no q.c. issues to debug unlike many other pockt semi-autos being put out today with the shooting public playing the r&d dept.

between the two ive mentioned here, what others would you consider that are in the same catagory? lets dispense with the g26 in a pocket stuff up front and stay within the size, weight, and price of these two.

what say you?

G

·
In a roll where the pocket gun was to be my primary, then it would have to be a steel-framed Kahr 9mm.

In a backup roll, I'm comfy with my little Beretta .25 Bobcat.

A mousegun is a backup proposition for me, you see. I figure the most likely situation in which I will employ it will be up close and very personal. In that case, the steel frame and fixed barrel of the little Beretta is ideal, in my mind, since I can press the barrel into the spot I want the bullets to go, (upper sternum) and taking advantage of their almost complete lack of recoil, due to the gun's weight, I can empty all nine rounds into that area in under a second, or just fire eight, before turning the gun up under his chin, and firing the final shot. Hopefully, it will happen so fast that my adversary won't realize what's going on, until it's too late.

To put the effect of this in perspective, it would be about the same overall frontal impact area as being shot six times with a .45, and I believe that with FMJs, the .25 will penetrate deep enough to puncture the heart and major blood vessels found in this area.

I do intend to get something bigger for my backup, eventually, though. Probably a RAMI, if I can find one that works. The Beretta will then be relegated to hideout duty.

I'm still planning on carrying two full-sizes, eventually, but that's a winter proposition, and winter doesn't stay in these parts for long.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Here's a picture of my minimalist "pocket rocket" in .22 short.
Just kidding, still, it would be better than nothing and it does run 100%
GO GALESI!!!

Wes

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Kahr PM9 was on my list of guns for this minimalist purpose.......but there have been so many issues with barrel peening and just general unreliablity that i could not bring myself to buy one. though the all steel MK9 has a superb record, it is a bit heavy, i used to own one.

i have the Mustang II, and im still torn between it and the Seecamp .32, and in this instance money was not the issue as the Mustang goes for about $150.00 more used than the Seecamp does new.....

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I've carried a few pocketguns. In semi-autos, the smallest I've carried is the Beretta .22A. The next was the Kel Tec P-32 and then I went with the P-3AT. Your choice of the Kahr PM9 is an excellent choice and I could not ever afford to get there and wound up switching to the S&W 642-2 for function and reliability reasons.

Should I ever start over and opine the pocket semi-auto, the Kahr would be at the top of my list.

Chris

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
"Absolute minimum" has meant different things to me.
I used to live in the Chicago area and couldn't carry a gun, but now live where I can carry whatever I please. What I accepted as a minimum then, and what I accept now, are different things.

Where I am now, I haven't gone any less that a J-frame or .380. I have carried a KelTec .32 as a backup to a backup to a backup, but not as my only gun. Now that I have a Kahr 9mm, I would carry it over a .380.
In other words, I would try to carry the Kahr as a minimum now.

But as I've said before here, a Beretta 21A .22LR was the gun I carried when I couldn't have a gun. If I were again in an area where I couldn't carry a gun, but chose to do so, it might see use again.
But I'd sure try something bigger.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i failed to put into perspective the locale until after i wrote this. obviously the climate and the clothing allowed by such climate will be different in Seattle vs. Miami, Concord vs. Tucson and all points in between.......

where i live it gets hot as all get out, but the part that makes it unbarable at times is the high humidity.

ive walked around Las Vegas in 104 degree heat and 10% humidity, and other than getting something to drink now and then, i was fine, i loved that weather......but here, 95 degress is darn near unbarable when the humidity hits 75%...you need gills to breath and even the lightest clothes stick to you and make you feel uncomfortable with sweat dripping non stop by simply blinking your eyes...

im in L.E. and can carry openly if i choose, but that isnt always the best option hence the need for the "minimalist gun"....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I live in Florida and when it comes to humidity it's like a jungle in the summer. I carry nothing less than a Kel-Tec 3AT. This is my go everywhere gun and my back up. Most of the time I got my 1911 .45 on me too. I also have a couple of truck guns that I alternate back and forth. My wife carries her Colt Government .380 everywhere she goes. As you can tell we beleive in protecting ourselfs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have the bugs been worked out of the 3AT yet? what generation do they have out for it now?

i really liked the concept, but the price of sending one back and forth to the factory off set any other benefits i may have perceived.

i know the p32 is finished with all of its issues finally, but the same gun in .380 makes the .32 irrelevant to me considering the prices are about the same.

and their new PF9? cant even look at one until the bugs are worked out of that one in a year or so....

kel-tec seems to be on the right track and is progressive in its approach to concealed firearms for self defense, but i object being made into a guinea pig for the field trials until they get it right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I must say that I don't carry very much anymore but when I feel it is necessary it is either a little 22cal Auto Nine or a Colt Pony..
As for something bigger there is a P-11 but it isn't really a pocket pistol so to carry I install the belt clip..

G

·
Browning Hipower or LWT 38 commander, sorry bout that, I figure if I ever need a gun I will really really need a gun I want one I feel I can fight and win with. An oversized Hawaiian shirt is cool and will conceal just about anything.

G

·
I carry a J-frame .357 magnum. It might be a little more power than I need, but it's relaible and gets the job done. Plus, I can hide it in my sock.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Dear Jerry: I am freshly back from my local fine firearms emporium with the absolute minimum gun I am willing to haul about. I just purchased against my dealers advise a KelTech PF-9. I started this line of country when I decided that my G26 was too fat and heavy and my M36 was too fat and heavy. I had considered a NAA 22LR mini revolver but was roundly boohooed about the 22LR. So, after consultation with a few others, I purchased this new gat. I will see if it works but for 250 how could I not? If it works the G26 goes and the M36 gets sent for armaloy (it gets rusty here in Dixie). I do not expect this to be a gun I shoot a great deal. I do not expect it to be accurate beyond 7 yards on a IDPA target. I hope that it works reliably and does not explode in my hand. There was one of those at the dealers. Just flat blew up. It was ugly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Jerry. So far as I know there are no big bugs in the 2nd generation K/T 3ATs. You do have to give them about a hundred rounds to break in with a couple of cleanings and lube jobs but that is about all we did. Me and the range master bought ours at the same time and we shoot them all the time. I run about 20 rds through mine everytime I go. Both of ours like WWB and Magtech hollow points. They cost $220 and fit in your front pocket. I like mine real well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any particular seriel number range to stay away from regarding the 3at? i know the p32s back yon had issues up until sn# 90,XXX or so when they finally incorporated all the fix-its based on customer complaints....

G

·
I have always tried to carry "enough" gun...but the definition of that can vary. I have a NAA Guardian in .32 that I feel comfortable with. Likewise a PPK/S .380. But if minimal is best I would take my little Colt Jr. .25. I just got it back from the 'smith who literally rebuilt and refinished it. It'll hide in nearly plain sight. As someone said..."It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight that wins the day. Often it's the size of the fight in the dog!" Regards; Alan

G

·
Try that Federal Expanding FMJ in that PF-9. Do a wetpack, and if you get 10" penetration or better, with expansion, then that's the way to go, most likely.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts