Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at them for quite some time, and a couple of days ago I lost my resolve. I purchased a P3AT with gray grip frame. The primary factor when considering a KT has been size, and I'm simply amazed at just how small and light this thing is. I've seen heavier .25 autos, and my AMT Backup .380 absolutely dwarfs the Kel-Tec.

I read the instructions, which said to go out and shoot the gun 50-100 times as a break in. Okay, I did that, using both PMC and Remington ball ammo, followed up by a magazine full of Federal Hydra Shoks.

I hate it when a brand new gun fails in some way, but I've seen even high dollar autos fail when new. The Kel-Tec, however, just kept on cooking. I went through about 55 rounds with no problems other than having to reload magazines (I found a spare factory mag and bought it, just to have it).

The only real negative I can report is that the recoil made life kind of rough on my trigger finger, and that might not have been much of a problem except that I have a couple of pretty significant blisters on it from a range session last Sunday. (Rough trigger surfaces.) The only Kel-Tec I'd ever fired before was a friend's P11, and I was pretty much impressed with it, but did I mention just how TINY this .380 feels when it's riding in my pocket? For the last couple of days I've been carrying it as a backup gun.

I am going to order the belt clip and the +1 magazine extension for mine. but as things stand now, I am a believer. While I don't think this will become a primary carry piece, I will never say never. I can see a very real possibility that it might ride alone with me during daylight trips to Satan's One Stop (Wal Mart).

I'm pleased.

G

·
I'm glad to here you like it. I've been the same as you. Every time I go into my LGS I stop and look at them, but I some how just can't convince myself to buy one....Maybe next time.

Kent

G

·
I have one and really like it, forget you have it if you aren't careful. I have bought 2 P-32's & 2 of the nines and am waiting for the new single stack 9.............................. Oh yeah, my immediate family has done me out of all but theP3AT!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a P3-AT Really like the size because a person really can forget its in the pocket. I have been to the
range several times now, Ive shoot about 200 Rd's +
still cant go a complete session without at least a couple
of malfunctions. works best with UMC and Fed Hydra -shok Maybe the new corbon product will be better.
I'm not giving up yet.

Gil...

G

·
I have never fired a P3AT, but my P32 is my most carried gun. It's in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in the back pocket of my jeans as I type this. Mine has proven to be very reliable, and I have never had a failure with my Win ST carry load or any of the various FMJ ammo I have used for practice. I really like Kel-Tec's products and believe KT is the most innovative gunmaker in the marketplace today.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Steve. One thing I need to be doing is researching various holsters. No matter how small and light it is, it shouldn't be flopping around in my pockets; it's not so bad in a jeans front pocket, but in any coat pocket it tends to change position enough that it slows me down.

I'm thinking about just getting the pocket clip from Kel-Tec and leaving it at that, but I want to look at all options.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My wife bought a P-3AT a little while back, and it is really slick little gun. I was not so eager to go below 9mm, but even the .38 snubby or Kahr P-9 is a little bigger than is really handy for her to carry around. I hate it when she puts them in her purse. So she really liked the P-3AT when I showed it to her, and got it. Two malfunctions in the first 10 rounds or so, and since then has fed like a champ.

LelandRay:
For holsters, I have found two sources I like the looks of. One is http://comp-tac.com/, with their "Centerline" holster. It hangs on a string (I guess it sounds more professional to call it a "lanyard") around the neck.

Even more interesting to me is http://www.stellarrigs.com/. They have a whole series of Kydex holsters for the Kel-tecs, Walthers, Makarovs, kahrs, and other pocket guns.

Check'em out and see what you think.

elb

p.s. StellarRigs also has a "concealed shotgun" rig, in case you are in need of one...

elb

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

In my opinion, the cheapest and best holster for the P3-AT is the DeSantis Nemesis. It will not slide around in your pocket and will stay in your pocket when you draw the P3-AT. It is also light and does not print like some leather holsters.

The outside material of the Nemesis is "tacky" for lack of a better explanation and its patented construction makes it a great choice for the P3-AT and other handguns.

Chris

G

·
I always carry my P32 in a $10 Uncle Mike pocket holster. I usually wear jeans and it rides in my strong-side back pocket with a folded hankerchief to break up the printing. A spare mag goes along in the watch pocket. When wearing any kind of pants besides jeans, the P32 & pocket holster go into the strong-side front pocket with the folded hankerchief, and the mag often goes into the same pocket to help break up any printing even more. The P32 is the only gun I pocket carry--all others ride in strong side paddle holsters.

G

·
I just don't get along with Kel-Tecs. They are one gun that is, for me, actually TOO small. Sure, they fit in a pocket fantastically, but they're too thin. I can't get a solid grip, and just pulling the trigger's a nightmare.

I'll stick with my Bobcat. Better the decent gun you can use than the fantastic gun you can't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts