Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things you have to know:

This was the first time I fired the new 4" "Service" pistol at paper, and it's only the second magazine I've fired since picking up the pistol a week ago today.

The ammunition is not factory, but one of my handloads, which I've only tested in a couple of 1911 style pistols before now. The bullet is a 225-grain Meister hard cast truncated cone over 4.8 grains of Titegroup and a Winchester large pistol primer.

Range was 6-7 yards, 13 rounds fired in approximately five seconds, gun starting holstered.

Now I'm wondering why I waited so long to buy an XD. Oh yeah, they had to come out with one in .45 ACP.

Someone has pointed out that the XD's grip is similar to a Hi Power's, and I tend to agree. I had a chance today to compare the XD side by side with a Glock M21, and there's no way I could hold the Glock comfortably. The XD grip must be about 20% smaller, and the grip angle is better for rapid target acquisition.

I think I've fallen in love.

For what it's worth, my local Springfield dealer can't keep them in stock, and in fact she was putting aside the last one in the store when I was there this morning. Someone had been calling all over trying to find a .45.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Leland,

Very nice group from what sounds like a great pistol too. I use the Meister 250gr RNFP for my .45 Colt loads and really like. I have never tried it for any other calibers, and now you are making me see that I should.

Glad to hear it fits your hand so well. Your first target fired rapidly certainly shows it is a very user-friendly pistol.

Please keep us posted, but I really only expect to be hearing more of the same positive comments down the road.

Enjoy it sir,

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee, I also use the Meister 250 RNFP in .45 Colt. It looks most like the original 1873 bullet of all the easily available cast bullets.

I love my new plastic guns. User friendly is a good way to describe them.

Hey, they even have grip safeties! (But no key locks!)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Leland,

No key locks (grinning), yes sir that dog'll hunt for sure. As I said once before, my only prior daily experience with a "plastic" pistol was a Glock I was forced to carry. For now I will just leave it at that.

But if I were ever to shock myself and purchase one, your XDs would most likely be my pick. When I shot them at that FLEOA shoot, I really was impressed with them, which honestly surprised me. No offense intended at all. But I suspect because of the Glock I just have a natural adversion to "plastic" guns now. Besides I think I was about 8 when my older brother handed me his 1911 to shoot. That was the first pistol in my hand, which may explain why I just naturally take to steel handguns.

Keep us posted on how they do for you. I am taking notes sir (tips my hat).

twoguns

G

·
Well, you bought it against my warning, so I guess I'll tell you what I know.

When reassembling this pistol, make darn sure you've got as much of that pathetic little lip of the recoil assembly they give you to put against the barrel cam butted up to it as you can possibly manage. Go slowly, and if you hear anything that sounds amiss, STOP, and pull the slid back off. If that assembly slips off at the right moment, you'll have a six hundred dollar paperweight faster than you can blink, and it will take a trip back to the factory to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see how the recoil spring assembly *could* become a problem, but it fits in the same way as the guide rod in a Beretta M92, and actually has more contact with the barrel lug. The Tactical fits the same way, though the guide rod is a single piece with one spring, as opposed to the two pieces and two springs of the Service model.

I got a chance to do some extensive testing on Sunday, and I'm now at a point where I'd trust this one for daily carry. Shooting a combination of reloads and 230 hardball, I went through over a dozen magazines with zero stoppages except for one caused by an unseated primer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts