Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

I wanted to find out with which handgun do you shoot the absolute best?

I pose this question with a number of different perspectives and while I am sure that the majority of us have more than one favorite please try to limit your response to the "absolute best".

1. Ergonomics. How well does the hand gun fit your hand, comfort with weight, bore to hand alignment and consistant holding characteristics.

2. Mechanical Features. How well does the particular hand gun sight for you, comfort with mechanical action and manual of arms, i.e. with continued practice the controls become second nature. Also take into account calibre size and felt recoil.

If you, like me, may have found that your preferences have changed over the years.

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well, my HPs and Buckmark are my favorites and most comfortable to shoot, but unfortunately I shoot my buddy's .45 Kimber like a laser.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I shoot The 9mm FN/Browning High Power the best.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. My most accurate answer is, "It depends." Of late I've been working with a number of guns. For practically the last 18 months or so I was "living" with the 1911's while gathering information for the book thing. Mingled in there was some fairly intensive revolver shooting and my Hi Powers pretty much gathered dust!

In slow, precise fire, I do best with my 9mm Hi Powers or a 1911 in 9mm, .38 Super, or .45 ACP.

In the quick and dirty stuff, it sort of depends on the gun I've been using most at the time but I wind up not seeing too much difference between other similar guns. In other words, if I'm high (for me) in the 1911 cycle, I'll shoot it best at speed....but the Hi Power or cocked-and-locked CZ will not be far behind. Likewise if one of those has been getting the greatest attention, the 1911's performance in my hands will be secondary and again, not by much.

I suspect that my most accurate slow-fire and precise grouping guns would be:

FN Competition Model

STI Longslide 6" Trojan 9mm

Caspian Longslide .45 ACP

For the more "practical" type defensive shooting, right now it is a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP. I'll wind up getting free of some projects and being able to shoot my Hi Powers a bit more and I'm sure they'll float back to the top as I tend to gravitate toward them pretty religiously.

With revolvers, a 4" Model 19 or 6" Model 28 seem to be what I do the absolute best with slow or fast.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Carolina,

Sticking to centerfire:

Revolver- Smith&Wesson M19, 4", Hogue grips.

Auto- Taurus 92.

Ask me again in a few years and we'll see then also

Josh <><

·
Registered
649 Posts
Of my 9mms, I shoot best with my Witness,Glock 19 second, and my Kel-tec P11 last. Pretty good with my Ruger MKII 5 1/2" Bull-barrel though.

G

·
BHP 9mm

No other gun has ever fit my larger hands as well as the BHP. The light upper "drives" better than any gun I've shot in competition.

It has a natural point of aim for me, the slide release is easily reached without shifting (so smooth that I regret not using it instead of the overhand method) and the thumb safety provides a good rest for the thumb during firing.

After years of shooting a 1911 .45 , the BHP 9mm feels like no recoil and I can literally pull the trigger as fast as I can and not wait for the sights to come back like I do on the 1911. That equals tighter faster groups with twice the capacity of my 1911 and the reason why it is being replaced with a custom BHP for my EDC gun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not the prettiest, most ergonomic, most accurate, or most expensive, but the one I shoot the most absolute deadly at speed and has been 100% reliable since 1991 and the one that is my EDC is my Glock Mod 19.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there clubkey,

Forgive my ignorance, EDC?

Sorry, but I can't always follow the acronyms.

Chris

G

·
Switched from a revolver to auto, 1911, and never looked back.

Best shooting gun for me is the 1911 overall with the BHP trailing a bit. I struggle a bit with the trigger.

I find the recoil of a 45 moderate load in a 1911 to be similiar to a 9mm in a BHP.

I could envision an 'offspring' of the 1911 and BHP that would be better than both. ;)

G

·
Smith and Wesson K frame Square butt (M 15, M67, M66, M19) I am slightly better with the sight picture of the adjustable sights. I am faster and more accurate with a good revolver in DA than any other handgun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi there clubkey,

Forgive my ignorance, EDC?

Sorry, but I can't always follow the acronyms.

Chris
Chris,

Hello!

EDC = Every Day Carry

Not to worry because I have the same problem as yourself and had to ask the same question myself at another forum recently. Just tryin to sound like I actually know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Chris,

For me that gun is the BHP with a set of Hogue rubber grips. I've owned just about every "classic" handgun over the years, and with the possible exception of the S&W Model 29 with a light 44 special load, shooting single action, I cannot usually do better than with the Browning.

G

·
You know I totally forgot about revolvers. While I don't own any outside of a 22lr and a snub, I did shoot a friends S&W625 better and faster than my 1911. That thing is just downright smooth!!! That was with "steel" loads though so there was hardly any recoil.

G

·
With revolvers I probably do my best with a S&W M15, the reason is I truly love this model. I shoot my Norinco and other 1911A1 pistols well and with 9mms I shoot a BHP very well at full tilt speed. Regards, Richard

G

·
Well in my case its a real close tie between 3
My AutoOrdanance 1991A1 in 45 ACP , CZ75B in 9mm and my Steyr M357 in 357Sig

G

·
1911 .45, and the reason is very simple. I spent 10 years in serious competition, practicing several times a month and shooting at least two matches a month. All that practice adds up to serious muscle memory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts