Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

That's the question.

How many of you are willing to buy a pistol, revolver, whatnot, with an integral gunlock which can go on "locked" when you need it?

I'm aware of but one account wherein this happened, but the guy really needed the snubby and it was out of action because of the damned lock.

I figure if we vote with our pocketbooks maybe the makers will get the message. Sell me a gunlock with the gun if you'd like, just keep it seperate, and I'll decide if I'm going to use it.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I voted "No." However, if there's a 1911 pistol at the right price, and its lock is in the mainspring housing, I'd just change out the MS housing. It would get changed to a straight one anyway, so the lock would be a non-issue there.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I voted "no" and that is but one reason why I don't purchase any new S&W revolvers. I did and would purchase another SA 1911 pattern pistol at the right price because the locking can easily be removed by going with another mainspring housing with the needed internal parts changing.

Best.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Voted "HELL NO" on this topic. For some it may not make a difference, but if I'm to stupid to keep the weapon safe from unauthorized users then I shouldn't own one.
Another example of the "if it just saves one life" mentality.
Not to mention the possibility of going "on" when you need it. Probably far fetched, but another thing you don't need to worry about when the "elephant" decides to sneak up on you...
Ask me how I really feel about this topic!
Wes

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm sorry, Josh, but I couldn't vote because my choice isn't on there.

I've had a S&W with the lock (a 60-15), and the lock self-activated when I oafishly knocked the unloaded gun off a counter onto the hardwood floor (as you've all probably read a hundred times - sorry to keep mentioning it). The "gun locked" flag somehow got itself stuck crossways in its slot. I had to go to the safe, dig out the box, dig out the keys, fully activate the lock and then fully deactivate it before the gun would work.

At the time, I just felt glad that the gun worked despite my clumsiness, but upon reflection I worried that this was the sort of thing that could be trouble if I were to need the gun, and I traded it off. (Despite the gun's MIM parts, it was very accurate and pleasant to shoot, and it worked well. I liked it a great deal, and I would still have it were it not for the lock issue.)

I've had a Taurus 415 Ti 2.5" titanium .41 magnum with their intelligently designed lock (I got into it brand new for $299!), and experienced no problems whatsoever - although that gun underwent more than a bit of recoil!
I've since sold off the gun - for $300 - for other reasons (mainly that my Glock 36 did the essentially the same job better and faster with less recoil).

I've had a Springfield loaded Micro Compact with the integral mainspring lock, and never even felt the need to replace the mainspring. No problems. I traded the Micro off when I realized that my Glock 36 did the same job for me better and faster with less recoil and greater reliability (those darn 1911 magazines . . . ).

(I've since traded off the Glock 36 for a King Cobra and some cash. :) )

Anyway, I suppose that, while I look askance at integral gun locks, I might buy the right gun with a lock if it were the right lock. I do not plan to buy another S&W with their lock. Frankly, i don't plan to buy another Taurus, but that hasn't really got anything to do with the lock. I don't think I'd hesitate to buy another Springfield 1911 because of the lock. Who knows what those locks on the sides of the new S&W/Kimber M&Ps or the H&Ks do - I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. The new Ruger locks on their centerfire semiautos apparently can't be put "on" while the safety is "off" - that seems like a good plan. I don't know what to say about their "under the stock" locks for their SA revolvers.

Hope that makes sense. :-/

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I voted NO! I flat hate the locks and what they stand for!

Springfield's lock can be delt with as mentioned, but, thats the Only brand with a lock I'll ever consider! And ONLY for that one reason!

Take Care,

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Josh,

As Stephen and Sockman have mentioned, the SA Lock can be done away with pretty quick and I have one fitted on my SA Champion GI.

I also have one on my S&W 642-2, but it didn't deter me from buying it. I bought the revolver to be used and not as a museum piece. Buying a brand new one without the lock was not an option at the time.

While I think that intregal locks are unnecessary, it saddens me to see this turn the firearms industry has taken towards product and civil liability.

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
It doesn't matter to me. Yes, I prefer my weapons without the lock. Then again, I like OLD guns...not particularly any very modern ones. So, it doesn't really matter either way to me.

-Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
I voted No.
I will not have somebody's agenda forced on me.
Like Sockman said, "I flat hate the locks and what they stand for!"

Recently I was thinking about buying a Bersa just to try them out. When I saw the internal lock I crossed them off the list.
There were also a couple revolvers I was going to buy and changed my mind when I saw the locks.

I just bought a Kel Tec PLR-16 and .380 Sphinx and the first thing I wanted to know was if they had an internal lock.

There are far too many good guns available to buy guns from people that have sold themselves to the anti gun crowd.

The only exception I might make is if there was a gun I really wanted and I could completely do away with the lock. Like the SA mainspring housing.

G

·
Remember "KISS" and Mr. Murphy? That is just something else to go wrong at the wrong time. That is one reason I am building my own, so I can keep it just the way I want and not the way some dumb political type wants it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I will not own one, revolver or semi-auto, with the lock for the practical reasons already mentioned as well as out of principle. I can think of no single instance when I would view having the lock as a benefit. If I want the gun stored safely, I already have a variety of options to choose from and do not need another poorly thought out "solution" to a non-existent problem forced upon me.

PGM

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own 2 SA 1911 9mm's, I removed the ILS system from both. I replaced mainspring housing with S&A with mag wells and just reused the internals. No problems with either pistol, trigger pull "seems" a little lighter, but that is just me.
mikehp

·
Registered
194 Posts
I mostly buy old guns anyway, but voted "doesn't matter." I can be as cranky as the rest of you guys, but somehow this issue just doesn't arouse the crankiness. And don't try to sell me on the righteousness of your position. We all know what cranky SOBs we are so you ain't foolin' me.

S&W has come out with a blued Model 29 with a 6.5" barrel that I am probably going to end up buying. I wish it didn't have the lock, but it does. Modern life. Some things I've just got to learn to live with. Looks like this is going to be one of them. The rest of y'all, do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought a Walther P22 and didn't realize that it had an internal lock until I got it home and read the manual. But I like the little blaster and I wouldn't get rid of it because of the lock. To me it is pretty much of a non issue. I do not like the locks on the S&W revolvers. They just look plain ugly to me.

Roadster

G

·
I voted no. I hate the things. I don't care if Clint Smith (referring to his recent Thunder Ranch specials with S&W) says "get use to it." I will not have locks forced on me if I can help it. I like the fact that Glock (for now) offers it as an option. In this way, if someone wants one or must have one, it is there. For the rest of us who are adults and can take care of ourselves, we can go on without them.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just don't get what it accomplishes that a good ol' padlock can't on a revolver. Break open the cylinder and put the padlock's U thingy (I don't know what it's called) around the backstrap. It's not even a gun lock per se!

I do however know what it accomplishes politically, so let's not go there, k?

Josh <><

G

·
I thought that's what gun safes were for!!!

My whole take on gun security and gun safety is that keeping a gun from firing doesn't do you or your family any good if you need to reach for it in the middle of the night and in the dark when some lune has gotten into your house. The best safety lies between your ears, and that goes for everything, not just firearms!!

If you need to keep the guns out of the hands of your curious child, then put em in a locked safe and keep the loaded ones in lock boxes that are accessable to you or a responsible adult when needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Polls like this should be sent to the gun manufacturers that have sold out to the anti gun crowd, maybe they will grow a little backbone when they realize those silly locks are cutting into their profits.

G

·
I'm interested in the new S&W M&P pistol. It does have an integrated lock but the first batches coming out were not equipped with them. Trying to find one locally if I can. Of course "having one doesn't mean using it". But if I like the firearm I will get regardless.

RC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts