Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,053 Posts
While I would not consider it a big deal, I quit putting ambi's on my pistols after the new wore off the things back around 1972 or so, with a few exceptions.

Were I left handed I certainly would consider installing them on all my 1911s, though experience might cause me to grind the "weak side" lever down a good bit.

Thing is, I was always finding my safety disengaged in the holster back when I used them (these were almost always Swenson safeties. I have Colt Ambi's on an officers model and a Commander which don't have near the problem.

I do indeed have 1911s with ambis that I set up as backup guns. I also know how to get the regular 1911 safety off with my weak hand trigger finger (and back on) in a fairly expeditious manner so it is not really a big deal.

Of course, to repeat, if I were "sinistrous" then I would certainly go for the ambi.

Just ramblin,
Jim

· Registered
1,053 Posts
On the other hand Erich, even if the thumb safety gets wiped off you still have a pistol that will resist a foreign object setting the gun off when it hits the trigger better than a Glock.

I firmly beleive that the main safety is the operator himself, but the Glock, which is very popular, is far less forgiving, even if you remove the thumb safety from your 1911. This is not a criticism of the Glock BTW, just a reality check.

In practice there isn't much difference. The object that usually sets off a firearm is the trigger finger and if you get that in the trigger guard then you probably have the grip safety depressed also.

We did however have a local citizen, supposedly quite a gunman, that unintentionally shot himself when his thumb entered his Glock trigger guard as he tried to catch the falling weapon, unfortunately it only took one hit in that case to do the job. I doubt he could have shot himself under those circumstances with a 1911 with the thumb safety off - but one never knows.

Finding my 1911 safety off does not cause me a great deal of concern but I would prefer to find it on just the same.

Onward,
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.