Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,579 Posts
I think Steve's "tongue-in-groove" explanation is the one that I've heard most, although I've also heard folks complain about the right-side safety getting in the way.

As a lefty, I'm sort of SOL with Mr. Browning's most enduring invention. The gun is set up so that I have a choice of a (weaker, tongue-in-groove connected) ambi safety, or nothing (Josh, I've never seen a left-handed-only safety, but the way the 1911's designed, such would require that the right-handed parts on the left side still be left in place to interact with the sear). (I suppose I'm forgetting about those unusual "Portsider" mirror-image 1911s, but those are pretty rare.)

I'm really not a fan of the ambi safety on the 1911, because they all stick out pretty far, and I really don't like the feeling of my thumb jouncing on it during recoil - although this is much more annoying for me with a super-lightweight gun such as a Micro-Compact SA with an alloy frame than it is with a full-sized steel-framed 1911.

I've thought about carrying the 1911 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, but there are just all kinds of problems I can see with that in terms of safety, PLUS the fact that it would be somewhat slower to get into action.

Teddy Jacobson, a gunsmith who certainly knows what he's talking about, is also a southpaw, and he is most assuredly not a fan of the ambi-safeties. I'll have to go over to his site again and see how he handles this.

OT - I just saw two terrific deals on 1911s at a local shop (an IPSC guy was trading out old guns to get $$ for new ones), and it's really hurting to not run over an buy them. :-/ The best deal is a super-tricked out Springfield Armory (U.S. frame) with an extended Heinie barrel and comp, Bo-Mar adjustable night sights, and all kinds of other neat stuff for $550. The other one, still a good deal, is a Michigan Armaments Custom Combat for $400. I got out Steve's Shooter's Guide to the 1911 Pattern Pistol last night, hoping that reading it a bit would help me get over wanting to go pick up one of these pistols. (I know, that was probably not a good plan! ;) ) It didn't help - I still want to go buy one of them. :-[ Fortunately, I have a friend who's looking for a good 1911, so I've steered him into the store, and maybe he'll beat me to the unbeatable deals. :)

· Registered
1,579 Posts
I have no idea why it never occurred to me to talk about the "wipe" issue in my post up-page.

There really is something profoundly disconcerting about taking your 1911 out of your IWB holster in the evening to find that the safety is off and has been off Lord only knows how long.
It's only happened to me a time or three, but I always thought, Yikes!

Made me really happy about the grip safety, and for the fact that I'd been carrying in a holster.

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Can't disagree, OG! :)

Jim, I always carry with a Saf-T-Blok behind the trigger of my Glocks, unless they're in a hard holster. Probably not necessary, but it makes me feel better. That tragic story you relate gives me another level of justification for doing so - I've oafishly dropped a Glock at least twice.
Appreciate that info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.