Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts
I kind of backed into shooting SA semi-autos. Like BarryinIN, I started out shooting with a Model 19, shot it a lot, and liked it a alot. My first semi-auto was a Glock 17, because it was very rugged and the most "revolverish" semi-auto available at the time -- i.e. you pulled it out of the holster and pulled the trigger, and that was that. Having to train myself to turn off the safety sounded like extra work.

However, the Glock was just a bit too big for my short little fingers. (I even have to crab a little bit with the Model 19). I started looking around for something that fit me and my wife a little bit better. We got a Kahr, which is a nice little gun, fits the smaller hand, easy to conceal, etc.

But then somehow I got prompted to look at Hi Powers. I can't remember why this came to mind, but I picked one up in a gun store, and thought "Hey! This is a nice gun! Fits my hand! 14 rounds! HMMMMMM!" I started researching Hi Powers on the internet, came across this site, read every thread i could find, and bought one (a SFS version). It just fits and points so nicely, has a great history, and is very elegant.

Prior to going to a handgun self-defense course, for several weeks I spent about 15 or 20 minutes a night practicing releasing the safety at the appropriate point in the draw. After I got thru Farnam's course with several hundred rounds fired I realized I had not fumbled the safety a single time. I fumbled lots of other stuff that I had not practiced much previously, but not the draw and safety release.

I now carry the Hi Power all the time. It conceals well for full size handgun, holds quite a few rounds, and is easy to shoot. The SA function is not hard to learn, it just takes some dedicated practice. I like the lighter trigger pull (mine is still around 7 lbs, I haven't done the mag disconnect and trigger job thing yet, but after 12 lb revolvers it seems light).

So I guess I didn't so much choose SA as choose a handgun that really fits me, and SA came along with it. I find it quite manageable and safe.

Best wishes.

elb

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.