Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

I voted for the "for self defense, but also for fun" category, because truthfully I fun for me also involves a hobby that has spanned the past twenty or so years.

In my years of collecting and shooting, it has been difficult me to articulate to others what handguns represent as an evolution of technology, historical benchmarks in our continued development of our culture and also as a medium or pallette for aesthetics and modern design. And that is being succinct.

Although as I have gotten older and wiser, and as society dictates that self-protection and defense is incumbent upon the individual, I have relied on handguns for that reason-the protection of family and home against real threats from within the community.

At the same time as articulated in another post, I have owned handguns "for no good reason" except that they are just plain fun to shoot and a challange for me to shoot well as my skill level changes.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Hello Sir,

My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six. I learned to shoot it then killed things with it. It served as a hunting backup to my Winchester 9422. It also served to plink when fitted with the .22lr cylinder. So- serious first, fun second.

My second handgun was a Hi-Point 9mm. It was a good gun, albeit cheaply made. I shot it to be sure I could hit with it then strapped it on. Now and again I would play with it at practice. Serious first, fun second.

Third handgun- Taurus 92. You know the story. Only this one is very serious and is only occasionally used for fun.

Fourth handgun- Phoenix Arms .22lr. Serious only. It played backup to the Taurus and later the revolver below. It was too dang loud and inaccurate for fun.

Fifth handgun- S&W M19. Serious first but I did some trick shooting with it.

Sixth handgun- Taurus 85 which I foolishly traded away before even firing it. It was intended for serious only- backup to the Taurus- but was gone when a longgun deal came along. But... everything functioned fine and I loaded and carried it. Serious only.

Anymore if I want a fun gun I usually head for the .22 rifle. I honestly don't think there's anything fun inside 25 yards that I've not worn out doing. I therefore go for 50-100yds and the .22 for fun.

Josh <><

·
Registered
649 Posts
Self defense first and foremost...anything after that is just improving the self defense objective.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Handguns are part of the uniform on my job, but I sure do enjoy a range session. I once had the pleasure of shooting with our local S.O. and what a great time I had that day. Great bunch of guys...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I too voted for "Self Defense and Fun." I am confined to a wheelchair but have excellent upper body strength and mobility (i drive, go to the supermarket, etc., etc.) So long arms can be a bit awkward with little means of support.

Handguns on the other hand, I can easily support with one to two hand holds, bring into action fairly quickly and there is such a variety... Lets face it, they are FUN!

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

I own for self defense & fun. I love to shoot & work on pistols.

Take Care,
The Sockman

G

·
Primarily for defensive purposes, as it is carried as a duty weapon and CCW (depending on the gun).
But...it also gets used for competition and general plinking.

G

·
SAC, I didn't vote because I became interested in handguns because I couldn't shoot them well. I have always been a good rifle shot but with handguns I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. It bugged me and I became fixated with my inability to hit anything. I gave up for 10 years and then 44SpecialDave rekindled my interest. That was 26 years ago and under Dave's tutelage I became a descent shot with pistols and revolvers. Regards, Richard

G

·
I see you had a choice just for me. Fun with wheels, and defense with semi-autos. Basically, though, I'm a handgun fan because Roy Rogers was a bad influence.
Both Grandfathers carried, my father carried, my uncles carried. Hmmm...maybe it wasn't just Roy.

G

·
Primarily a defensive interest at first. Now, I shoot because I *love* handguns. Defense, hunting, recreation.

Anthony

·
Registered
192 Posts
I shoot and I collect handguns. Although I'm a much better shot with a long gun, handguns are much more interesting to tinker with. I rarely modify anything on any of my firearms. Anything I do change is always non-permanent: grips, springs, etc.

I prefer "original" just as it was designed and came from the factory.

--
Mike

G

·
I started out collecting for fun. Years later when we finally got CCW I then put a couple of them to use. I still prefer a pistol with some sort of historical interest for carrying. I carry a BHP now.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Well, with thugs on the streets, and not being able to conceal a rifle, the handy gun just seems a natural choice. (Yup, folks talk about you if you go around carrying a longarm. Image that... ::) )

And when I first started, the barn wall was in trouble, but the paper the target was printed on was pretty safe. Today, it is fun seeing how much better I am, with a ways to go still.... ;)

And hunting with a handygun is a fun challenge.

G

·
I fall within the 1. for self-defense but also 2. for fun category.

1. I refuse to allow myself to be a victim for lack of the ability to defend my life (or my family's) with deadly force, if deemed necessary.
2. I grew up in the 1950s when our role models were Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, etc. I had great admiration for these TV cowboy heroes and I wanted to be just like them. I first emulated them with cap guns, then with BB guns. The next logical step was to "real" firearms of all types. Gun collecting, shooting and handloading has given me great enjoyment for many years. It's a passion with me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I selected "For Self Defense and Fun" as well.

I guess, why I am a fan of handguns relates to how I became involved with them. My father taught me to shoot when I was 12...and the two things he taught me to shoot were a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol. I did ok with the rifle considering the range was 50 meters and it had a scope. Surprisingly though, I did great with pistol.

I've always found pistols to be more fun and relaxing to shoot. But I also found that I enjoy the personal security that I get from owning and knowing how to use a firearm for self defense. In fact, I also enjoy learning and discussing the self defense side of handguns, along with the fun side.

-Rob

G

·
Well, I wear one to work every day, I do take my personal safety VERY seriously, and they're fun, but the closest answer allowed by the poll is "self defense and fun."

1 - 20 of 53 Posts