Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I'm going to put a new pistol on layaway.

I've just returned to college and can't afford another outright, not yet.

There is a very nice FEG HP clone formerly owned by a gunsmith for $250. There is also a genuine Colt 1911 series 70 that is in that same price range. The sear sounds a bit worn but it's nothing that can't be fixed easily.

Both will need ambi safeties.

I have a 9mm; I have .45 ammo but never owned a .45. All my stuff has been centered around the .36 calibers.

So, what would you buy first, and why?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
Colt for the win. You'll find decent 1911 parts all day long and a colt 70 series even with 20,000 rounds through it still has life. A FEG HP might be a decent buy, here's the trouble...despite being owned by a gunsmith doesn't mean it was well cared for or fixed right when/if it broke. I can name a couple of dozen mechanics whose work on their own cars is as lousy and neglected as it can get.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Josh,

I've owned both 1911's and HP's. It would depend on which one "fits" you best and can be most economically transformed to what you want it to be.

The Colt would make an excellent restoration project and a heirloom quality firearm should you invest the time and money in it!

On the other hand, the FEG would make an excellent shooter and probably require the least amount of investment to make it "work" for you.

I would lean towards the Colt depending on the condition!

Its a tough choice.

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm prejudiced. I found this Series 70 in a pawn shop, put $50 into parts and pretty grips, then had it refinished. It's not the greatest shooter due to the short trigger and sights I can barely see, but it's reliable, and it's all mine.

Did I mention that it didn't even work at all when I got it? The hammer followed every time the slide fell, the grip safety didn't work, all from a botched action job by the previous owner.

Works now, and it's purty besides.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
captaineagle and all,

Series 70 Colt wins this one hands down. Beat up a bit, but functional means you won't cry the first time you drop your "baby" or you see it go skidding down the asphalt...
Besides, "beat up" can be corrected.

Wes

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An heirloom wouldn't be carried. The 1911 is a two tone and the trigger is really heavy... have to correct that. OTOH, the FEG is really nice as is... hmmm...

I'm going to wait for a few more votes (and money) before making a final decision.

Keep going guys!

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Oh man...! Well Josh, if you asked folks here, it is not like you expected anyone to try to talk you out of it!
Too many pro-Colt devils on the one shoulder and no 9mm angels on the other? I was inclined to vote the BHP clone since that way you'd have all 9mm guns (on top of the .380 that is...) and also to be a contrarian, but heck, you've got some .45 ammo, so may as well shoot that stuff.

Best of luck deciding!
--d.

G

·
Here's my take on this.

First, the FEG deal doesn't seem all that great to me. Don't new ones sell for $3XX? I bet a similar deal will come around again if you turn this one down.

As to Colt, I can't recall when i've seen one in a simlar price range. It may be a super deal. It may be a hopeless junker (structural cracks for examnple.)

If you fix up the Colt, there's no reason for it to be a safe queen. You can shoot the heck out of a Colt (hundreds of thousands of rounds) and still pass it on to your heirs. And this one certainly isn't a rare model.

How much will it cost to get the Colt up and running reliably and accurately? Whatever the amount, you need to factor it in to your decision. This means dollars and time because since you're saving for the purchase price alone you'll also nees to save for the cost of repairs/upgrades.

Last thought: having read a lot of your posts here, I'm willing to bet you'll own a BHP and a 1911 eventually regardless of what you decide now. So which one do you want first and which would be most economical to have fun with now while you're in school? ("Fun" might include fixing the Colt if you're so inclined.)

Max

·
Registered
202 Posts
How about a write-in ballot?
I vote for the CZ 75B in 9mm. It's been the most fun out-of-the-box gun I've ever owned after my first handgun, a Ruger Super Single Six my Dad bought for me (with my own money I earned from caddying) in 1969.

It eats all the ammo I can put in it without FTF or FTE.

I don't impress easy, but the CZs are very good and truly a best buy. I just bought a CZ97B and am just as impressed by it as the 9mm.

Plus, the 9mm can take the .22 Kadet converstion Kit which is fun as well.

I've had Colt .45s, and BHPs, but none have I enjoyed as much as these. Thanks to Mr. Camp's website where I first read his reviews, I am poorer, but happier!

Steve

G

·
COLT! Aftermarket parts are plentiful and cheap if you buy wisely. The .45 is one of the most versatile pistols in the world for both personal protection and competition. It is also extremely easy to work on; the perfect pistol for the CAREFUL tinkerer. All the HP has to say for itself is cheap ammo; a Ciener conversion for the .45 will allow you to shoot 22LR for $175 (from Brownells).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Colt hands down. As stated above parts are plentiful, and gammon hit the nail on the head when he said a "CAREFUL tinkerer" can do wonders. I can personally vouch to both the plentiful parts, and the "CAREFUL tinkerer" concept.

Bert

·
Registered
679 Posts
$250 for a Colt 1911 70 series that only needs a sear vs. a BHP clone? That is a unheard of price for a Colt 1911, Josh. Purchase the Colt since parts are abundant and a very easy handgun to work on. Plus you can't beat this price. Try finding a Browning Hi-Power for the same amount that only needs a sear.......

G

·
To restore a '70 series $250.00 Colt will not be easy. I don't think you understand that dropping in a sear is something anyone can do. Sometimes that is a two day job for a highly skilled smith. I am sure that it needs everything you can do to it to make it a decent shooter again. That is not the issue. A cheap "Gunsmith Owned" Hi Power Clone is worth nothing. You have to ask yourself why a smith would dump this gun for such a small price. It must have serious problems or it would not be for sale. The Gun with the Horse on it is worth restoring. When you have it fixed, it will be worth something to you.

This is the "Old Fashioned" line of thought that we used to call "Common Sense". It is not taught in any school. I had to learn to think when I was a child to survive in a world that was pretty tough on everyone during the Great Depression.

I am not saying this to offend anyone. I want to answer your question as an intelligent man who has the ability to look at a situation, think about, it and come to a conclusion. This is what I do in life. This is why I can teach and do. It is a Gypsy Curse now, but it used to be required. This is how you repair guns, if you are good at it. You find out what is wrong and fix it. They used to repair cars this way when I was a kid. Now they just start hanging parts on it until it runs again, or do what the Computer tells them to do. It is a different world now. T. Lee knows exactly what I mean here. Buy that Colt!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colt. I admit I am prejudiced against the FEGs, because of a bad experience I had with one. But the Colt has a value that the FEG never will, no matter how they stack up against up each other today. What I mean is, the Colt will repay every cent you put into it. The FEG will still be a FEG.

G

·
Josh, see if they will let you: field strip both handguns, look for wear and abuse, ask if you can shoot them. Then pick the one that suits you best. I know if I were in your shoes I would opt for the FEG if it looks and shoots well. Regards, Richard

PS I don't trust 1911s that are cheap to buy; something is fishy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts