Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If you were put in charge to choose a 9mm Pistol for our Military, what would you choose?

I would choose The FN/Browning High Power, and never look back, or think twice about it.

Please only list one Make & Model.

Thanks & Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I thought about the Browning, but I'd have to say no to it. I think the army was right to go with a double action auto, and the Beretta is very good for the role it's supposed to fill. If I were asked to replace it, I'd go with either an H&K product or perhaps something in the CZ75 family.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Glock 19 if I had a choice but the Sig 228 is already in service so just buy more of them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glock 17. With a safety, of course.

Didn't Glock make some pistols with a safety for a country I can't remember? ???

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys Please,

The 9mm cartridge was picked by your Goverment, they just gave you the job of picking the Pistol to fire it from.

Lets all have fun and stay on track here, and please only list one Make & Model, sorry I didn't put that in the original question.

Thanks Again,
THE SOCKMAN

G

·
As far as here we go again, NOT. I have nothing against the 9mm round. As long as I get to pick the cartridge. Using standard 9mm NATO ball, I wouldn't. So don't turn this into a 9mm vs 45 debate.

Now that being said I would pick in this order;
1. Hi-Power
2. Springfield XD 9
3. Sig Sauer P226

G

·
Gents,

At the time of the service trials I would have taken the SIG 226 over the Beretta. And firmly believe we would have been better off in the long run. I say this because our choice of caliber was mandated.

My personal choice would have been the BHP and not looked back...same manual of arms as the 1911, fits almost everyone, and is in a suitable caliber(ok, that's debateable).

Wes

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
2) This is a civil board. Conversations are expected to be civil. Should a post be deemed offensive it will be deleted. We are gentlemen and will conduct ourselves accordingly. If a member becomes irrational or offensive as a habit, he or she will be deleted without prior notice.

3) Posts which stray from the thread's subject will be deleted. A 9mm post will not become a .45acp post, or vice versa. If you want to discuss something different, begin a new thread.
'Nuff said.

Josh <><

P.S. I would pick a closed slide Beretta or Taurus. J

G

·
what else the sig !! but if they would let me it would be the p220 in .45.... he he, since they got too go the cheap way ? i guess the p226 !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Sockman,

Knowing how our military selection boards work and the fact that they would have to meeting the following criteria: mass manufacturer, ammunition compatibility, ease of training, reliability testing and fast replacement/repair, my answer would be the Glock 17.

It is no suprise that when the Coalition Government in Iraq needed to rapidly arm the their new Iraqi Police Force that they chose the Glock. Unfortunately, approximately 15K of the 20K pistols imported/issued were reported "missing" within a month of their deployment there.

Chris

G

·
Either a glock 17 or a SiG Sp2009.

The glock would get the vote for simplicity. However, having general field issue weapon which requires that the trigger be pulled to strip it frightens me a little bit, there are enough military AD's as it is.

The SP2009 gets the vote because it is a SIG, and gets the vote over the P226/P228 in this application because the removal of the grip panel allows for a very thorough cleaning of the action parts without disassembly of the weapon at the detail level. I gather that accessiblity for cleaning of interior parts is somewhat important in the sandy dusty world today.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I suppose I can play for the sake of the hypothetical but bear in mind that the U.S. miliatary still issues two pistol calibers, 9X19 and .45 ACP.

My hands down choice would be the Browning MkIII (or FN as it is now produced).

In keeping with Sockmans rules (it is after all his thread) that is it.

Hypothetically a Glock 19 with a thumb safety might change my mind but I leave it out as they don't offer that as a catalog item. I have seen a special run of 17s with thumb safeties as someone mentioned and there is an aftermarket company making the modification but until Glock makes them commonly available *and* changes the grip angle they I would rather my troops be issued the Browning.

Onward,
Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Implicit in in Sockman's hypothetical is the notion that we (the participants in the discussion) get to make our choice stick. But I have to say that I don't think the "powers that be" will never accept the Glock as is, due to the 5.5lb trigger with essentially no mechanical safety.

I have caused near appoplexy in military circles by merely suggesting that one can position the M4 at the low ready for a few seconds with the safety off in order to scan forward for threats :-/ In one small victory (due only to the fact that we had a Major General willing to listen) we did manage to convince them to carry the M9 with a round chambered and the safety off.

True enough the M11 has no safety but doctrine insists that it is decocked the instant you quit firing and it has a trigger that is long and heavy - as does the M9.

Please note that I am not agreeing with the thought that the Glock is somehow an unacceptable weapon, I am merely recognizing the way the bureaucracy thinks.

Onward,
Jim

PS: Though there are things I would change about the design, I do feel the Glock would make an excellent military sidearm (in another caliber) if we completely revamped the military training system to quit treating our soldiers like retarded children.

G

·
I am not some bored middle aged housewife so - no plastic for me, thanks ::) For me - Kareen mk. III (BHP is just too beautiful to be ruined in military). Or a MAKAROV
I think, that the military sidearm should be something like AK - ugly, tough and rusty.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.