Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi H&A gunners!

I'm in a very interesting situation. I recently sold off both of my pistols with the intention of upgrading each one and refining it's role in my armory. I replaced my excellent Springfield XD45 with an even more excellent Kimber Pro Carry. Now that I have a nice 1911 that can be easily carried, I need a good 9mm that I can practice with at the range. What do you guys suggest? I had a CZ75 P-01 that I enjoyed for the most part, but it had a plastic guide rod and there were other nit picky issues like the fit/finish I didn't like so much...I'm debating a Glock 17 or P226 as well, but the Glock doesn't fit my hand too well, and the Sig doesn't either. What pistol do you guys shoot the most often?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Two thoughts:
First, since you have a 1911, why not go with a BHP that functions the same, i.e. single action, and has controls (trigger, hammer, safety) alike?
Two, weight and balance of the SIG will be more like the 1911, although the Glock is cheaper. Both have fatter grips and won't "feel" the same as the 1911.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've shot both pistols before, so I know what you're saying. While a hi-power would be nice, I don't really see them as being durable enough for my needs...And a nice factory trigger would be nice...

I was more curious to see what you guys actually use for the bulk of your pistol range shooting and why...

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. When shooting a 9mm at the range (which is not at all unusual for me), it is a Hi Power 9 times out of 10. Sometimes it is a Mk III and sometimes one of the older guns I've been shooting for decades. Not as often as I should, I'll shoot the Competition Model.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Although most recently I have been taking my newly aquired Walther P-5 to the range with me, it is the MK III BHP that gets the most range time or an older '75C series HP.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

Please don't be fooled, The FN-Browning High Power is a very durable pistol.

Take Care,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On this forum, and on a previous long-term Hi-Power forum, there has never been posted an incident of a HP being "worn out" (i.e. a cracked, damaged or worn-out frame or slide that had to be replaced). After many 10's of thousands of rounds an occasional small part may go, but that's true of any handgun.

The magazine disconnect safety that is indigenous to this handgun does compromise the quality of the trigger pull, but removing this significantly to greatly improves the trigger pull. (However, if you're going to carry the handgun for personal defense, there are criminal and civil liability issues you need to consider before doing so.)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
A BHP goes to the range EVERYTIME I go. I may take something else, from a Colt to a Walther (even a revolver or two), that I want to use, teach with or just keep up to speed with, but a BHP goes and gets the vast majority of use.

I can say I've spent more time disassembling Glocks than actually shooting them. It's that Armourer thing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lately, every pistol range session has included a 1911, HP, and my "new" S&W 1917. All are fun and relatively cheap to shoot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as durability is concerned with the Hi-power, I've seen them here in the sandbox and they just go and go and go. The ones I've seen are normally carried without a holster, the finish is gone, and they're oiled with whatever is available. They are taken care of but definitely not babied, these people here are hard on everything. And if you shot some of them you'd never guess the mag. safety was still in it. Yup, that smooth.
Jus' my 2 cents worth, thanx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would suggest a FNP9. I has a reasonable price, holds 16 rounds in 9mm, it is very comfortable to shoot, very accurate, reliable and so easy to disassembly.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there ikiddp5,

What is the round count on the fNP9?

You were doing some pretty exhaustive testing on yours.

Chris

·
Registered
679 Posts
Other than my first choice which would be a Browning Hi-Power, why not try to locate a quality 1911 in 9mm?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thank you for the info, ab,

I read in Law's book "Inglis Jewel" that a retrofit program had been proposed by Diemaco - tritium sights, ambidextrous safety, rubber grips... - was it finally realised?

Impressive service record anyway that speaks for the quality of Inglis' work.

L.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
From what I've heard through the 'grapevine', not really. I think they upgraded a small number, but the programme was suspended for funding reasons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris: I have fired 2,600 rounds with the FNP9. No parts broken so far. I'm very happy with it. This is a gun I can recommend with confidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts