Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. The question says it all and it will differ to some degree for each of us due to our style of dress and the climate we're in...as well as our personal preferences.

In my current orbit, my threat level is very low. Mostly around the house, feeding ducks behind it, or in public only in the day...for the most part. ALL of the time I have an S&W Model 642 in my docker-type pants and a reload. I've determined this to be pretty much my upper limit in hideout pocket guns.

I tried this Glock 26 in a Galco pocket holster for a bit over a year. It was just barely too large. Being an auto, it also tended to try and slide out of the holster and pocket...not a good thing.

The 3" J-frames are just too large for me and pant pocket carry, but they might be fine in climates where heavy overcoats are frequently worn.

After several trials, I went with the Model 042, an Airweight Centennial that is essentially the very same gun as the 442. Summers in Texas are hot. I sweat like I'm sitting in the electric chair and I'm "lucky" enough to have sweat nearly as corrosive as the monster's blood in "Alien."

I finally gave in and bought a stainless version of the Centennial. You can see wear marks all over the cylinder from its constantly being carried in a pocket holster. Eventually, I think the cylinder will appear to have been polished! With the blue gun, each spot that was worn began trying to rust...even worse than the rest of the steel parts. With but minimal care, this gun has not shown any rust on the stainless steel parts. I can abide honest wear or "honorable battle scars", but cannot stand rust.

While I do have a couple of holsters for the J-frame for belt use, my question is "Why?" If going to IWB or even OWB carry with a good concealment holster and belt, something more potent can be carried. In my case, it varies from a Glock 26, Browning 9mm Hi Power, or 45 caliber 1911.

If going to a belt gun, the determined among us can tote something easier to get the hits with as well as being more potent.

I've carried this Mk III 9mm Hi Power and other autos of similar size with not much effort when using a belt holster. When something like this or practically any service size auto can be carried, I just don't see much reason to carry on the belt what can be carried in the pocket.

What are your personal choices for concealed carry, be it pocket or belt carry? Thanks in advance.

Best.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I guess it depends on the pocket ;)

FWIW, I find about the same limits. I never even tried (other than a momentary experiment) putting a 27 in my pocket. I can do a KAHR micro .40.

Actually, I don't often use pocket carry (not that it is a bad idea) since I have what might be considered an unusual view of backup guns.

My view of "back up guns" (BUG) is to carry a second truly combat capable handgun which can be instantly available to either hand in case I am injured or my primary is disabled (either temporarily or permanently). The term I use for the truly compact and even more concealable guns is "Hide out" which I also carry. If you don't think of these guns in this way it by no means indicates you are wrong, I am just giving a perspective here (it is not unusual among the cognoscenti).

Thus it is that I normally carry a second full sized gun on my weak side in a holster. This sort of interferes with putting a gun in a pants pocket. During the winter I often add a 4th gun to a jacket or vest pocket and that gun is normally a J-frame of some kind - usually an old flat latch M-37 since I already have 3 other guns and 50 rounds of ammo on me as a normal load anyway...along with a variety of other gear which means I don't go near water 'lest I fall in and sink :)

Carry on,
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

As Mr. H said, it depends on the size of the pocket.

We are finishing rooms in the other 'apartment.' (And here, let me clarify a bit. My fiance lives in a turn of the century house which was divided into two apartments in the past. We finished the smaller one and my office and her bed etc. reside there. The larger one is being finished room-by-room but is huge). As we finish rooms, we move the extremely heavy, high quality furniture up two flights of stairs. The other night a corner ripped across my left (dominant) hand and put it out of commission for a few days.

I gave myself first aid then immediately tried my draw. Couldn't do it. I then worked the pistol from the holster and dropped it into the right front pocket of my size 36 jeans. It concealed nicely- and it is a full sized pistol.

We sat down later to watch Dances With Wolves which Ria had never seen. She glanced down and asked why my pistol was in my right pocket (my cover garment was off and the pistol butt was in sight). I told her that I couldn't currently draw with my left hand and it should be better within a couple days. I also told her that I wish I had a cheapo IWB holster (the type with the clip instead of snaps) but this would serve. She was good with the explaination.

So... Yeah, depends on the size of the pocket and what your discomfort level is.

That said, my personal preference is my Taurus 92 in my DeSantis leather holster behind my hip on the left side. I also prefer a backup in my right pocket (I'm an ambi though I prefer lefty) but I have foolishly sold anything which may be a BUG. Prior to my 92's current mission as primary it served secondary to a combat shotgun and I didn't believe I'd be needing the BUGs any longer. The best laid plans...

Josh

*I do apologize for the digression in this post.

G

·
95% of the time I'm carrying a 5" 1911 IWB or an Officer's model in an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig plus a Kel-Tec .380 (used to be .32) in my back pocket. . When I go exclusively pocket gun, it's a m37. I have a couple different pocket holsters, depending on what pocket it's going into.

G

·
Could help but grin on the "belt" part. I was just given one of these from a family member. Great little pistol, made and designed in Wyoming. Also, out of production.

G

·
The gun I carry probably 75% of the time is a Colt Magnum Carry. I prefer to carry in a hip holster for several reasons, even though this particular gun works well in a pocket holster. For me and my primary CCW, the two overlap a great deal.

G

·
Depends on how big your pocket is.

In actuality I believe the Mak/Walther p series is pushing the limits. I prefer the Seecamp/Kel-Tec size .32's. I have a .32 1903 Colt hammerless model "M" I consider a belt gun. Mexican carry in my case.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The pocket gun begins with my Colt Pony in a leather pocket holster (strong side) that a co-worker made for me and I wet-molded to it. I have to keep one of those "football" squeeze-open coin pouches under the corner portion of the holster where no part of the gun is to keep it filled out and looking like a wallet.

The pocket gun ends with my hi-capacity Russian Makarov stuck in my waistband on my weak side, safety on. I wear a wide leather belt, so I don't think my gun's gonna slide anywhere. ;)

G

·
I just changed to a subcompact xd in 9mm as a primary carry gun. Normally it will be belt carried iwb in a comp-tac c-tac holster. However, the gun will fit into my winter coat's outside pocket nicely. I tried this before I purchased the gun. As the coat comes down to around mid thigh I didn't think a belt carry would work very well. The pocket carry would be more for running errands or going places where I would not be removing the coat.

I've also been known to carry a 1911 or a makarov depending on mood

Steelheart

G

·
I get away fine carrying my Taurus Ti snubby in cargo pockets or an Uncle Mikes neoprene clip holster.The steel model 36 3" could probably work OK with a clip holster as well.Going to the CZ RAMI will be the cut off point where I need a belt rig-assuming CZ makes the gun right and I carry it. :)

G

·
I only have two handguns presently. My Colt Combat Commander, and my S&W 642LS. The Colt rides on my belt, IWB. The S&W fits comfortably in the pockets of any pants/shorts I own.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pocket carry for me has pretty well settled on the Khar Pm9, have tried the glock 26 but don't like glocks and it doesn't carry well. Have decided that any thing larger then the Khar and its IWB or on the belt time

G

·
My only pocket gun is a S&W 642.

Everyting above that is a belt gun. I find that I can conceal just about anything reasoable under an untucked shirt if carried IWB, so the 642 only goes in the pocket when a tucked shirt and no jacket is worn

I find my Sig P210 in a milt sparks watch 6 goes well under just a t shirt, and that is what I carry 80% of the time when I carry concealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I most often carry a Smith 642 in a Kramer pocket holster. I have a IWB for it, but rarely carry it that way. If I am going to the trouble to carry on the belt, I will carry at least my Kahr K9. I carry the K9, the 1911 or my Hi-Power in Kramer #2 IWB holsters.

I only have IWB holsters in addition to my pocket holster. It's hot here in Texas, and it's much easier for me to conceal IWB than out. Also for me IWB is quite comfortable.

G

·
The only gun that I will carry in a pocket is my 10-oz (loaded) Kel-Tec P32, which is carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I don't carry anything IWB bigger than my Bersa Thunder 380 and Makarov. Everything else rides in an OWB holster.

G

·
Stephen and all,

You asked "where does the pocket gun end and belt gun begin"?
Way to many variables here. The .38 spec. snubbie is hard to beat. Especially in it's "drop in a pocket" carry mode. Five or six rounds of ammo that is proven by the test of time and usage.
Still, I don't like things rattling around in my pocket. Here, in Oregon, the climate allows for holster carry most of the time. Though I prefer a 1911 or BHP the Glock 36 can cover both roles. I use a Blade-Tec holster and mag pouch for daily carry when I want a light unobtrusive rig. Still my Stainless Commander hides almost as well.
Amazing what you can hide under today's oversized clothes, photographer's vest, sweater, etc.

The G36 can "almost" replace the .38 snubbie and offers seven rounds of .45 ACP. To me, a darn good trade-off.

Wes

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just my opinion......weight seems to be the factor for me. About 14oz is the limit for pocket carry unless the handgun is very small. Like my Kahr PM9 is only 5.3" long and weighs in at 16oz and barely fits. A KelTec P11 is 14oz but 5.6"long and thicker than the PM9 and rides too high in my pocket. A ultralight 38spec I have weighs 13.5oz but at 6.5"long is a little much and bulges more than a PM9.
So anyway, around 14 - 16 oz is my limit, depending on length.
This leaves out the Makarov, Glock19, 1911, etc. for pocket carry. Your pocket may differ.
og

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Pocket guns: A steel J frame is borderline for me; I have to pickup a 642 someday for regular pocket use. For now, my winter coats have pockets that work for the Centennial.

For belt guns, I do my regular best with the Hi Power, 3913, or 3" to 4" revolver. The 3 1/2" to 5" Smith & Glock autos also work for me. A good 5" 1911 is hard to beat.

And for special mention, the Detective Special is a handy belt gun that I like a lot, but it sure seems like I might as well carry something more potent. As a compromise, our DS does "special" duty as house beltgun at special times; and regular duty as a housegun my wife is comfortable with the rest of the time. Too bad Colt doesn't offer a blued Magnum Carry. Guess I'll have to make do with a 3" K frame. ;)

G

·
I just recently went through trying to find a pocket gun. I looked at several revolvers and small autos. The problem is that I just can't spend the requisite money for a S&W J frame or a Ruger SP101. If I'm going to spend that much I might as well put $50 more to it and buy another baby Glock ($400 for officers here).

I ended up not getting anything. My grandmother bought a Beretta Tomcat in .25ACP years ago. It's only been fired a few times. I may grab it for a hideout gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts