Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The New Year's Holiday has past and I guess that I am as about as broke as everyone else is...

But I have been comtemplating projects for the New Year and wanted to pose the question of "what's your ideal street gun"?

I am comtemplating the purchase and modification of a Springfield Armory Champion, i.e. Colt Commander length slide and barrel in .45 calibre with match sear, hammer, trigger and match barrel bushing. I want a handgun that I can afford on a limited budget and modify into a "street-worthy" handgun.

What are your thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Simplicity. That's a good word, isn't it?

My carry guns exhibit simplicity. I prefer a Mark III BHP. I'll remove the mag disconnector, change the grips, put on a pair of night sights, and send it off to Novak's for a reliability package and trigger job. It goes to Novak's more to have things just smoothed out and confirmed than for anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Carolinaman,

Sir, my street gun has these features (reliability is a given):

1. Traditional DA/SA with a cocked'n'locked option.

2. 1911 style safety, amidextrous. Because I ride the safety there should not be a decock option unless it moves in a direction other than down.

3. 9mm or above caliber.

4. Hooked trigger guard. While many disagree with wrapping the weak index finger around the trigger guard, I find that for my purposes it helps.

5. A 4" barrel minimum for primary carry. From what I've seen the power falloff after that is not worth it.

6. Ten shot magazine capacity as a minimum, preferably 15+. This is chosen logically- though I count rounds (and after a couple shootings, the casings confirmed the accuracy of my counts), I don't want to be caught in a situation where I lose count and be surprised by lockback. IOW, I'm not claiming to be immune from training.

7. Ambidextrous everything. The mag release lever is exempt however as I've never had any real use for it. I I slingshot the slide.

8. Inexpensive enough that, should I botch a mod, I will not be out a bunch of money.

9. Natural pointability for me.

10. Heavy enough that I can border shift in an emergency.

11. Though I do not neglect my firearms, I want it to take dust, mud, sand, snow, and whatever else and still function.

12. No magazine safety.

There are only a couple pistols I've found which match this criteria. One I carry now. This is a Taurus 92 pre-decock which I've made 100% reliable. It does have a guide rod with frame buff, polished feed ramp and chamber, and a few other mods to improve handling. The other I'm looking at is a CZ85.

My perception of a street handgun could change as I've been looking at the 1911 platform, but for now these 12 features make me warm and fuzzy.

This is on me throughout the day and no more than 2ft away from me at night.

I hope I've answered your question the way you meant it

Josh <><

G

·
My car/carry gun is a Bersa Thunder 45. It does everything I need well and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Regards, Richard:D

G

·
Gents,

Not to be flip, but it's what you've got with you! Any of my carry guns BHP/1911/etc. would qualify. However I just ordered a CZ-75 in .40 S&W. It will be my "car" gun. What I will carry to and from work. The state won't let state issue weapons leave the premises.

Figure this to be the best of both worlds. Plus, it didn't cost an arm and a leg. That way, if I do get involved in a shooting, my custom BHP or 1911 won't have to rot in an evidence locker.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Assuming that "ideal" means, the specific one I would pick above all others rather than just a set a parameters that will suffice (I my assumption is incorrect please let me know). This of course also implies one that I have tested and know that I shoot better than anything else that fits the category rather than one I just think I might shoot well.

Sad to say, I am guilty of being inconsistent... Some days it is an old Colt G.M. made in 1944 but at some point some unknown gunsmith (who obviously trained at the AMU) fitted a commercial "hard slide" and accurized it. I took off the Bomar Rib and installed some homemade fixed sights (sort of look like King Tappan), a Commander Hammer and a beavertail as well as elephant ivory stocks. This one will shoot with my Clark Heavy Slide B.E. gun but it functions every time. It is zeroed at 75 yards.

Sometimes, it is a 1950ish Comercial G.M. that I fitted out myself with a N.M. Barrel and a set of homemade sights (again that resemble King Tappan), King thumb safety and that is it...(it was bead blasted and blued by the Gunsite Gunsmithy back when they started doing GSPs). It too is zeroed at 75 yards.

Sometimes, it is a Stock Kimber (well the rear sight was replaced with a drop in Novak).

Sometimes it is a Heinie G.M. Tool steel lockwork, Straight 8 sights, Highly "dehorned", "Scalloped" front strap with a Wilson Match barrel. This one is zeroed at 25 since that is where they sights hit when I got it and I did not want to cut on tritium sights.

While I say I am not consistent, all of these guns are the same in their controls and their triggers are very similar as well as the sight picture. All are .45 ACP though the first one mentioned can handle .45 Super in a pinch (but I normally shoot .45 Super in a couple of other guns).

I hope I don't have to say that this means I think this is the "ideal" gun (or guns) for everyone...how you shoot what you choose is paramount. Whether you will carry it is paramount. What is right for me may be wrong for you and vice versa.

I normally carry two of the above guns when I am "on the street" though I admit, I do allow myself the luxury of playing around with the second gun from time to time. In fact today, the second gun was a Browning in .356 TSW because I might get a shot at a coyote around here while knocking about, yet, while I view it as somewhat inefficient for self defense, it will suffice and after all, I still have my .45 to go through first. :)

Onward,
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. The one I have with me all of the time is a Model 642 S&W loaded with Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P and one reload. When I carry a belt gun, it is either a 9mm Browning Hi Power w/o magazine disconnect and wearing Spegel blk checkered delrin stocks or a similar gun wearing my grips from Hakan Pek. The right-side thumb safety lever is gone on both of these guns, but other than that, they are stock. (Well, the sear and hammer might have been slicked up a bit and the hammer spurs are bobbed.)

As often as not, the nod goes to either my Norinco 1911 that's fitted with a King Hardballer rear sight and an appropriately high serrated ramp front that is silver-soldered to the slide. It has a Pachmayr drop-in wide grip safety. Now and then, it is a Springfield Armory LW 5" 1911 .45 that was fitted with Millett fixed sights by the Springfield Custom Shop when they fitted an Ed Brown
wide grip safety to the gun.

Best.

G

·
Ruger Security Six 4" .357 with Spegel grips (no finger grooves), 1981 to date. Occasionally alternated with a 4" Service Six version or a Model 10 4" if very hard use or possible loss a consideration. A S&W 442 for always.

The Security Six *was* my street gun and still is. I have absolute faith in it and its loadings plus long familiarity. To me that far outweighs theoretical considerations.

Started out with the 1911 (carried one for work for a while) and like the BHP but after many years of DA wheelgun I feel quite comfortable with what I have. Have lots of time invested into muscle memory and subconscious habits and don't see a need to confuse myself at this late date. (I'm confused enough as it is.)

If I were in a high threat environment I might feel quite differently. I like fooling with the SA semiautos for fun but these days if I want more capability it ratchets up with SKS, M1, M1A. Alternatively a Remington 870 as indicated.

That little 442 in the pocket is worth more than an M1A in the safe, though...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm, kind of hard to answer, most of the time while not on duty its a 220-38 super and my Khar, but here of late I have gotten lazy and some times just go out with the Khar

G

·
Either a full size 1911 or a Commander..........both built ala Cooper.........good trigger, good sights, reliable, and anything that will bite the hand is taken off.

G

·
Smith 642 with 110 +P Corbons. "Ideal" because it can be carried very easily, and you don't even have to draw it to shoot. Not my favorite caliber, and VERY often, it's backup to a 1911 45 or a S&W 3" 44 (Trail Boss loaded with CCI 44 specials.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
"Street gun" to me means carry gun.

When dress for it I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II.

It has everything I want in a street gun.

It's100% reliable.
Small and light (for a 1911).
Powerful.
And will hold under an 8 inch group at 50 yards.

G

·
I usually carry either a Ruger P95 or a Glock 27. A 4" K frame sometimes makes its way into onto my belt. I do have a Springfield 1911 that I am training with some that will see some carry when I get fully comfortable with it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Glock 19 with extended slide release,loaded with 124 gr. Gold Dot +Ps...works for me...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unless you are determined on a .45 ACP type platform, have you thought of a Glock 19? Everytime I think of "streetfighting gun" - from the 'Hood to Mosul - this is the one that comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong. During the winter here in Texas, or if driving on a long trip, for some reason I'll carry my 1911. But out and about during the winter I'll usually carry my G19.

Good capacity with a proven round (9mm), accurate, reliable fairly easy to conceal all spell "combat handgun". As well, 9mm is cheap to proctice with and you have a (bewildering) array of self-defense loads available. I myself just use the WW 115 gr JHP right out of Walmart (it seems to have excellent characteristics for its price and its cheap).

My G19 also has trijicons on it which I think helps. As well a G19 is probably cheaper and more reliable NIB tha some of the more expensive 1911 types.

The .45ACP is a solid round and its ability to stop a fight is unquestioned. But I'm also of the school that "the nine is fine"

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there Werewolf,

Oh yeah, I considered the Glock 19. I am looking at one right now, but I don't think I can get the owner to drop the price right now.

I currently own a Glock 23 fitted with meprolight night sights and it fits the bill perfectly. It is reliable, eats any ammo like a "billy goat". It is accurate, but not that pleasant to shoot all day long at the range.

Right now, I just have that old 1911 itch and want to get into another project gun. I may be shopping around for an old colt or springfield frame and start building it from the ground up. I like the 1911 and shoot it well. :)

Chris

G

·
For CCW, I use an old S&W M-36 Ni finish, that was a Police trade in. Paid under $200, "shot little.....carried alot" describes it well. Looks a little worn, but shoots like a new gun. Replaced those skinny service stocks with Uncle Mike's Rubber Boot Grips.....but that's the only modification. Conceals very easily in a pocket, IWB, or OWB holster.
If you're OK with .38spl., it might be the gun for you!
It's real handy to have around, and aedequate for my purposes.
BobK

·
Registered
33 Posts
My favorite street/carry gun is one I inadvertedly left off my post on the favorite holster thread.
My favorite carry is a S&W M65, 3" brl, rd butt with Spegel's Secret Service grips. The hammer has been bobbed and the action slicked up. The most dependable usable gun I've ever carried.

G

·
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and a couple of questions.

My best shooting comes from the typical 5" 1911. I have a Kimber Custom TLE II, the same weapon recently chosen by the LAPD SWAT as their new service sidearm. I keep it loaded with Remington 230 grain JHP. It allows me a 2-3" radius at 25 yards and I can still get within 5" at 25 yards in tactical shooting practice. I bought it "out of the box" and it comes standard with Meprolite night sights, which is nice.

While I've never been in a street shootout (and I pray that I will never have to save for future deployments) this is what I carry when I'm wearing a jacket or suit coat as these clothes provide sufficient concealability. I would go with a stainless steel as oppossed to my carbon steel finish if you were going to always leave it in a car because of the constant moisture changes in automobiles.

Someone mentioned that they carry a Kimber Ultra Light. Have you had any issues with the recoil tainting your sight picture due to the shortened barrel? Do find it anymore difficult to shoot quickly than a standard length or Commander size?

The Commander size also works adequately but I wouldn't trust it in my hands to achieve the same shot grouping beyond about 15 yards. But I suppose that's simply a lack of training with the Commander on my part.

My Thoughts,
Adam

1 - 20 of 25 Posts