Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If you made the "Approved Pistol List" for ALL the Departments & Agencies, what Makes, Models & Calibers would "your list" consist of?

My short list would go like this.

FN-Browning High Power chambered in 9mm or .40S&W

Colt Government Model 1911 chambered in .45ACP or Super .38

Colt Commander (All Models) chambered in .45ACP or Super .38

End of List.

Please Note: I intentionally left the A1 off the Government Model for the guys & gals that might want to either carry their Vintage World War One 1911 or get themselfs a new Colt WW I Replica.

Thanks for your replies & Take Care,

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
While I would include the guns you mentioned, I would expand it some.
Although I favor a Single Action auto, others may never be completely comfortable with it. This could lead to good-intentioned, but self defeating or endangering, efforts such as carrying the gun at "half-cock", with an empty chamber, and other false security measures. I would rather "my people" carry a DA auto than cause that.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

Well, it would'nt be so frighting to'em if they were Aware of the Fact that their Locked & Loaded M1s, M14s, M4s, M16s, AKs, Mossburg 500s/590s, Remington 870s/1100s, Ruger Mini 14s & 30s, 10/22s, PC9 & PC4 Carbines, Glocks, Ect., Ect., is'nt locked up any tighter or quite as tight for that matter, than The High Power & 1911.

Take Care,

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I know.
You can teach people, but can't always make them learn.
They will do what they do. God help us.
Hello Barry,

Man you can say that again, except this time God Help Them!

Take Care Buddy,

·
Registered
649 Posts
Let's see...

Glock
Sig
Walther P99/S&W99
S&W MP40
Kahr P9/40
Taurus 24/7 Pros
Beretta 92s

Of course almost any current DA/SA or DAO currently made are a viable choice for a duty sidearm now...within reason.

G

·
Hello,

If you made the "Approved Pistol List" for ALL the Departments & Agencies, what Makes, Models & Calibers would "your list" consist of?

Mine would read. "Any handgun in .38 special, 9mm, .45acp, .45 gap, .40 cal, .357 sig, .357mag that the agent can show significant proficiency with is available for carry. The barrel should not exceed 5", and the weight should not be in excess of what the agent can comfortably carry for extended periods of time while conducting all activities involved with his assigned duties. The agent shall qualify on both basic marksmanship and tacticle profiecency ranges no less than once a month." Something along those lines anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,

Believe it or not, I almost included a Run what you Brung kinda line under my choices, but, then you would have alot of people showing up for the same event wearing differnt shoes so to speak. Where with the two Browning platforms above it creates a whole world of universal S-A handling and switchability between the folks & their insturments parts & accesories at the event.

Thanks for the replies,

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would tend to go with companies.
Colt 1911s
Springfield'
Kimber
STI
Ed Brown and other high end 1911s
Browning High Power
Sig All
HK All
Taurus PT 92
Beretta All
EAA Witness in 10mm
Smith and Wesson All
Dan Wesson All autoloaders
Kahr All

G

·
As most cops that I know don't really take care of their equipment as well as they should and they need it to be as simple as possible for stressful situations. I would suggest the following:

• [1] Glock 22/23 - Street Units/Det.
    [2] Kimber/Stainless Ten II - Tactical Units
    [3] Kahr P40/P45 - Backup

They require little maintance, and are simplistic in operation.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Thor, your not saying those DAO guys have their fingers on the trigger before decieding to fire are you?

The love of weapons & weaponcraft should be a job requirement.

Take Care,

G

·
Thor said:

"Today I am seeing less indivduality among the officers, with more emphasis being focused on the intimidation of a hulk in a blue uniform."

That's because where once police officers were respected members of our society, they are now view in an adversarial role. A "us" verses "them" mentality thanks to years of liberal indoctrination of this society has cause this.

Once upon a time when an officer needed help citizens would rush to their aid, now they stand on the sidelines cheering on the suspect(s). They have become the hated symbol of authority, their every move has come under the intense scrutiny of 20/20 hindsight.

And you wonder why they (police) appear to all be the same and are driven to make themselves as big as they can? The answer is one word: Survivial

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Kudos to the men and women in uniform, especially those who study survival and live by it. I suspect most of us here would make fine PEACE officers.

The original question was this:

Hello,

End of List.

Please Note: I intentionally left the A1 off the Government Model for the guys & gals that might want to either carry their Vintage World War One 1911 or get themselfs a new Colt WW I Replica.

I began learning the "us vs. them" mentality in college and see no reason for it, and there is especially no reason for it here. Are we not all on the same side, gents?

This could get ugly fast; let's nip it now.

Thanks all,

Josh <><

G

·
Kudos to the men and women in uniform, especially those who study survival and live by it. I suspect most of us here would make fine PEACE officers.

The original question was this:

[quote:rg10466r]Hello,

End of List.

I began learning the "us vs. them" mentality in college and see no reason for it, and there is especially no reason for it here. Are we not all on the same side, gents?

This could get ugly fast; let's nip it now.

Thanks all,

Josh <><

[/quote:rg10466r]

I agree with Josh. Let's not get into a flame war over this issue.

BTW, my first choice would be a .50 caliber rifled flintlock pistol.

G

·
I would allow officers to carry whatever caliber they wanted as long as it wasn't smaller than a 9mm or bigger than .44. As for manufacturer, as long as they demonstrated proficiency, fired a certain amount of rounds quarterly and had it inspected by the armorer I'd allow a lot of weapons but the conditions would be the same as the military is demanding for their new service sidearm. Those conditions would be: DA/SA trigger, manual safety lever, decocker, and exposed hammer (and not that red dot thing) As long as a personal weapon met all those requirements, game on. This is, by the way, what all the police departments around here go by. For an issue weapon, my armory would issue a SIG or a BHP if you didn't have your own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My list is relatively short:

1) Any CZ I don't have yet.
2) A new 1911 (Average age of the ones I have is 68 years. :)
3) A .40 caliber Walther P99

--
Mike

G

·
It would probably depend on whether or not there was a limit to how many I could have. A conservative list would be a BHP in 9mm, Glock and a Smith and Wesson Revolver. If I had to break it down,

BHP 9mm
Glock 19/23/32/35
Smith and Wesson J-frame
Kel-Tec 2G P3AT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts