Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The purpose of this poll is to find out what kind of sight picture is generally preferred by the folks here at H&A.

It struck me, today, as I was shooting my Ruger MkII, that I have to work much harder to do as well with it as I do with my CZ, despite its better trigger and lighter recoil. Grip angle and trigger reach may have something to do with it, but in all honesty, I think it's the sight picture.

The gun is equipped with plain black factory sights, and unless I get some good sunlight overhead, to produce a sort of bright spot, along the top edge of the sight, I just can't focus on the front sight as easily, and my eyes end up wandering to target. If it's not that, my eyes want to focus on a corner, as something about the two intersecting plains attracts their focus. Of course, if I line the top corner of the sight up between the post, my shots will group decently, but always left or right of point of aim.

On the CZ, though, I have tritium night sights. Even in bright light, something about that three-dot alignment, with those little, white rings, really attracts my eyes, and makes getting and maintaining a good sight picture much easier for me. Now, this does mean that I have to have a bigger target, so that I can index the position of the dot by the edges of the target sticking out from around the front sight, but in a defensive situation, I don't think this will present itself as a problem.

I personally prefer the tritium to be all green, since that color tends to last the longest, though I think I might be able to pick up the sights a little easier, if the front were green, and the rear yellow or red.

This gets me to wondering what type of sights others prefer, and why. Sorry if I forgot someone's favorite, but I put down all of them I could think of. Hope your pick's on the list!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chubby,

I am a major fan of the Trijicon green nightsights as well. I have them on every one of my carry pistols and those I shoot often as well, like my FN HP. I have always preferred the straight green as for me I think contrasting colors might be distracting in a serious use situation. Maybe I am wrong, but I would prefer not to have to find out the hard way either.

On your current problem with your Ruger - just a suggestion. Many years ago, in my pre-Trijicon days, I would use Testor yellow model paint to paint my front sights. I learned that several very thin layers, allowed to dry between applications, tended to last the longest especially when doing a lot of holster practice.

I started off using the Testor white, then discovered if I had to aim at someone the odds figured if wearing light colored clothing, it would be white. My white front sight was simply lost on target. That was when I switched to yellow and have never had a problem I can recall since changing colors.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I tried a lot of sights back in my youth (when my eyes were better) but I always went back to a Patridge sight with the front sight painted Flourescent Orange (yes I tried inserts, they worked fine on revolvers but they were a problem on autos).

Other colors can work OK but I have never done well with a different shape.

Once, after reading Fairbairn's "Shooting to Live" I even mounted a brass (could find Gold) 1/8" bead on my old 1911 and took a file to a G.I. rear sight to make the "English Express" sight.

It was OK up close but totally inadeqate beyond 25 yards and I did quite a bit of my handgun shooting back then at longer ranges. Later I got a gun with XS Express sights and, using an electronic timer, I found out that I was measurably slower with these sights if I wanted to keep any reasonable sized group and that was at close range! Well, 10 yards or so, really close they dont seem to help or hurt.

Some of my handguns have tritium but I paint out the white round dots, that really confuses my eyes so I mask the front sight and paint it orange. Several of them (that I installed) have tritium only on the front. Others have them on the back merely because they came that way or I wanted to replace cheap plastic (like on a Glock) with steel and that was the easy way to do it.

Jim H.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I prefer the bar/dot pattern, sometime called "von Stavenhagen", as found on Walthers and SIGs. It works very well for me on thick sights for fast combat drills. This arrangement really attracts my eye on the front post and puts both sights in line automatically.

It works much better for me than the 3-dots system: with the latter I must check if the dots are in line and correctly spaced. Slow!

L.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I like a tritium front and plain black rear sight. I have even modified my Les Baer TR Special to this specification along with jsut about every thing I own with iron sights. My experience at TR Texas showed me the value of FS only in nitesites. My 870, my Glocks, my AR and even a couple of my S&Ws! it just works for me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Other.

-I like plain black, but they can "disappear" with the right light and/or background.

-Tritium night sights are OK, but the dots seem to align differently than the steel sights (usually shooting higher with the tritiums for me). Sometimes it isn't much difference, but sometimes it is. When the bluing wears around the insert, then it all looks like a gray-white blob to me.
Also, after I actually shot at night a few times, I'm not so convinced they are that great an asset. They help, but not in a huge way. There are other things I'd rather see that cost applied to on guns which would be a greater benefit to most people (like ammo, or applying the money toward a class) .

-Other.
I'm trying something different now, that I like so far. In December, I got a HiPower back from custom work that included the installation of a plain black Heinie rear and a gold line front. That front sight is a black serrated semi-ramp, with a 14K gold bar running vertically up the center. The black of the sight is visible against light backgrounds, and the gold bar shows up against dark ones. It doesn't glow like tritium, but is surprisingly visible. I don't have the elevation problem I mentioned having with tritium inserts since the gold bar goes all the way to the top of the sight.
A disadvantage of this sight is that it took me a little bit to get used to. At first, when I got a "flash" sight picture, I would see the black of a front sight and align on that out of habit/practice...which meant that I was looking at the black area on either side of the center gold bar, which sent my shots would go wide left or right. I had to "re-learn" to focus on the gold line.
But now that I have the hang of it, I like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the Big Dot night sights on my two Kahr carry pistols[PM9 and P45]. With my failing[aging] eye sight, I can find the front sight faster with this set up.
However, if I'm shooting beyond 10 yards, The front sight covers the whole target back and makes precise shooting difficult. So I recommend that they are used from 7 yards and closer for SD.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have blackened out my Glock 19 sights and made them in to pretty much a bar/dot arrangement. I also am a fan of the XS express sight and my Taurus PT111 Pro has Heinie sights with the dot/dot deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts