Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

It all started with a rumor from a friend. It then was corraberated by another....and then there was an ad in the local paper.....

Apparently, my local shooting range is having "Smith & Wesson Day" at the range!

Smith and Wesson Day will be the first Saturday in September and the Regional Smith & Wesson Sales Manager will be at the range with over 300/+ handguns to sell at Cost + 10%! Participants will be able to handle any S&W in their current line up and shoot it as a "Range Rental" for "Free" (the caveat being that you pay the range fee and buy ammo from the range).

I have already book marked Smith & Wesson web site and have been looking at putting together a "wish list" of handguns that I may be interested in buying....

If you could buy one from the factory at Cost + 10%, than which model would you buy??????

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I'd go for one of the new "lemon squeezers", a snub 38 (all-steel) like the all-steel Centenial of long ago and it has no internal lock.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mr. Camp,

Which model is that one? I've already been comtemplating adding another snub to my collection and that one seems like a very likely candidate.

Thank you sir,

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. It's the Model 40. It's either just been released or is due to be release, sort of a "Classic Revolver" thing. For me, the main thing is that it is all-steel; I don't have one in my stable of snubs that is a J-frame and it doesn't have the lock.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
If indeed they're making this thing, and I have no reason to doubt Mr. Camp, I'd jump on it as well, but maybe in a 3" barrel as I've never owned such a creature.

Another candidate would be a full-sized six shooter without a lock and with a 4" barrel. Dunno if they're making those though...

Have a good time!

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Chris, take this from me: try the Model 40, but also you'll want to try the M&P autos. I've shot the 9mm and .40 full size guns and the 9mm subcompact. They are outstanding handguns.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there all,

I called the range last night and got the answer I didn't want.

The handguns they will be bringing down will be their "bread and butter" line of handguns, i.e. American Pride Series, M&P and best selling revolvers. I would imagine that there will be some M&P rifles. No classic series firearms or any produced out of the Performance Center.

That will narrow my choices somewhat. I've opined that another snubby might be the ticket, but Leland, I do believe that you are on to something. I've been looking for another compact semi auto and I believe that they have an M&P in the rental case, which I may go down and shoot today!

What do you all think?

Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
I didn't think the re-issued mod. 40 was billed as a "classic" in the sense of a special order type item, or performance center product. Don't give up-it may be in the selection &, if so, do as Steve says! Mine is from way back when, & a favorite. ;) Regards, G>M>F> P.S. The name M&P belongs on a revolver,IMHO :(

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leland,

Beautiful revolver!

I will take a shot at the Model 40 if one comes my way on Smith Day! That's the current plan. Otherwise, it will be a M-442. I do really want another snubby in the worst kind of way. I am hooked so to speak.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

Well sir, as most of us with this affliction/addiction can attest, a gun store is an excellent place to get your needed fix. Good luck on finding what you hope to find. Hopefully you will be able to come home with a new lady that day, and then share another range report with your fellow addicts.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results that day. I do like that idea, and maybe members should mention that to their favorite gun stores as well. When I first met my good friend and dealer, Mr. Gary, he was having his grand opening of a gun store geared to CAS and was having a Ruger Vaquaro day. I picked up two at amazing prices, and the Ruger rep simply walked out to his van and brought in the two I had just purchased.

So not only did I get to meet Mr. Gary that day, but I also met a Ruger sales rep, and got business cards for both gentlemen. Since Smith and Ruger are willing to do such events, hopefully some dealers may find that Sig, Colt, Browning, CZ and others may well be willing to do the same. Everybody wins in such a situation in my view.

Again, good luck and keep us posted sir.

twoguns

P.S. I have to agree with Mr. LelandRay as well on the M&P Smith pistols. Not only should that name be restricted to their revolvers, lol, but you really should try one out if you get the chance. I have never been able to fire one, but they do seem to fit my hand very nicely, especially with the 3 backstraps they provide with each pistol.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there,

At present, I am leaning towards buying another "snubby" since that is what I carry the most and shoot somewhat more than my other revolvers. At least finally, I may get to shoot the M&P at the range and if I like it, than maybe I'll switch over my decision.

However, here is one that piqued my interest today. A S&W 686SSR with tuned action:

So many handguns in one place! It is going to be hard to make a final decision!

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts