Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm also putting this in the Rifle section, 'cuz either is OK.
Between me and my usual shooting buddy, we have at least one of the following: .22 auto, .32 auto, .380 auto, Makarov, CZ52, HiPower, .45 Short Kimber, .38, .357, Beretta 92. .303, SKS, AK, Persian Mauser, Beretta CX, AR Bushmaster, Mosin M44, Spfld M1A, CETME, and a Czech 7.92 carbine that we force new "club" members to fire.
It's my turn to get something interesting to shoot, and I'm on a limited teacher budget. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I'm thinking something in .308, preferably semi-auto, but a scoped CZ (their prices are attractive) in that calibre would work too.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any .308s, but the CETME and M1A cover a lot of territory. I was looking over French MAS semis a while ago, but went with a Russkie SKS instead.

·
Registered
720 Posts
jonny,
you have everything but a .25acp!! Check the calibers section for the .25acp thread. I'd suggest a Beretta Bobcat as the best one still being made. Safe to carry with a round in the chamber. Phoenix Ravens are still to be found and shoot good, but not safe with round in chamber until you're ready to shoot.
Derringers are also interesting and present a real challenge. Don't get a Bond though, bloody thumb gun due to barrel latch on wrong side if you're right handed. And don't get one over .38special either unless you really like recoil.
You seem to have everything else.
Cheers,
og

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, too small and quiet!

If I had the money, I would consider some big magnum. A big .50 rifle, even single-shot, would be a hoot, if I had a place to fire the thing.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Having shot the M-82 Barrett, I'll second the motion. It's just SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN watching things explode with one shot at 600+ metres!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well now, sorry jonny if I offended your elite taste. You want big and noisy? Get you a little .22magnum NAA mini and see if that's noisy enough?
og

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Johnny C.

Consider a British MK III Enfield in .303.

There are quite a few of them coming off the surplus market at very reasonable prices. They are even selling the American Made Lend Lease Savage Models.

Great part of History to add to the collection.

Chris

P.S. Yes, you can scope the Ruger Blackhawk. B-Square makes the mounts.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A good "smith" can drill and mount a scope on anything. However, you'd enjoy a .22magnum rifle a whole lot more and they're not too expensive.

But for an ultimate you probably need the Browning A-Bolt rifle chambered for .243 WSSM. Fire 5 rounds with that, without a cushioned butt pad and tell me it don't hurt and ain't the noisiest thing you've shot and you're a better man than me. It don't come with open sights, have to mount a scope and the only kind that fit it are Leupold. So we're talking around $1500+. But I thought you said you wanted something on a teacher budget so I didn't suggest that in the first place.

Have fun with whatever your budget allows. Makarovs are fun but you've already got that. Otherwise you might have to settle for some kinda muzzleloader in black powder. (They come with scopes too!)

og.....(it's only money)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts