Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

What is the minimum barrel length you're comfortable with in a .45acp primary carry pistol?

I prefer 5".

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Josh,

I really prefer 5" as well, and I wouldn't even consider less than 4.25".

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
430 Posts
I chose 4", because while I only own a 5" Gov't sized 1911, I'd really prefer a good 4" with a GI Plug setup, in 1911s.

Now, as for non-1911 .45s I think I would still prefer 4" velocity and reliability does not suffer too bad at this length, although the .45 ACP snubs(Taurus 455 S&W 625PD) have really caught my eye. I think that if these little revolvers could be downsized(height and width, weight isn't as important), just a bit more, they might make really serious BUGs and pocket pistols.

-Rob

G

·
Commander-size for me - serious size for a serious situation. Presently using a Kimber Pro Carry Series I w/aluminum frame that I picked up in a recent trade - light, controllable. Dig it greatly. I don't think 1/4" is going to make a big difference in velocity - I can tell when I'm shooting the defense loads, but it's just the feeling I like!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I went with 4" just because I've had some older design hollowpoints fail to open in water out of the G30. Same load does OK in the G21. I may change my mind if I test some newer loads and they do OK.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got the 1911 in 3, 4 and 5 inch barrels.

All things considered I like the 3 inch best.

Three of my Kimbers are "Ultra" 3 inch barrels.
They are extremely reliable, accurate, light and small to carry.

As for velocity loss. The Aguila IQ that I carry is doing 1280 FPS from that three inch barrel.
If that doesn't do the job I guess I'm having a bad day. :)

The first chance I get I have to chronograph all my 1911 pistols with whatever defense ammo I've got around the place.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there all,

I have owned Colt Government, Commander and Officer's ACP models. I have had great luck with all three in the accuracy department.

I once shot a fox at 120 yards with the Officer's Model on the family farm. I doubt I can repeat the feat, but it gave me a great deal of confidence in the 3" barrel .45.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends. For pure aesthetics, I like the 4-4.25" Commander barrel on an Officer's frame. I just think this is the best "looking" 1911 pistol. As far as shooting, in .45, my most accurate is my Kimber Ultra-Elite with a 3" barrel. In 10mm, my most accurate is my Les Baer w/5". When I'm carrying the Kimber, I load the lighter & faster ammo, i.e., the 165-185 gr. bullets @ +P.

Sam

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I sort of see two ways to look at this.

1. from an auto pistol viewpoint - in which case it would be 4.25 as a practical matter because of reliability/maintenance issues (if someone made a 4" with the standard bushing and recoil spring plug I would probably accept it). But I dont care for the Officers and dont like the takedown on the 4" guns.

2. Revolvers - I really don't think short barrels would bother me though I tend to prefer from 3.5 to 4" (though 5" makes a near perfect "field gun").

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts