Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Another member hit a very valid point about .22's on another part of the forum. Sometimes a rifle is just not portable enough when we are out shooting.

Or maybe we want to practice our shooting skills with a small calibre handgun like a .22 that is economical, practical and accurate.

I have owned a great many .22 pistols over the years that included both revolvers and automatics. I have owned Beretta's, Ruger's and Colt's.

My "current" favorite .22 pistol is a Ruger Single Six single action revolver with a interchangeable .22 Winchester Magnum cylinder. I sports a blue finish, adjustable sights and a 6 1/2" barrel. It is accurate, practical and economical to shoot.

What is your favorite .22 pistol?

Chris

G

·
My favorite 22 pistol is a 4" Ruger Standard Model followed by a CZ75 Kadet. When it comes to revolvers all else pales beside my S&W Model 34. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
67 Posts
My favorite is my Kimber rimfire target because I love 1911s above all others and this makes for cheap practice. I also really like my old Beretta jaguar though parts and mags for this gun are getting harder to find.

Shawn

G

·
Since my Buck Mark is my only .22 handgun, it is by default my favorite. I'd like to get a .22 SA revolver,as well as a DA revo (6 shot only). At the top of the list, though, will be a .22 conversion for one (or more) of my centerfire autos.

Ceiner has .22 slides for 1911s, HPs, Beretta/Taurus 92s, and others. I've also read good things about Marvels and Kimbers.

G

·
The only .22 handgun I have right now is a Heritage Rough Rider.

However, I would really like to get a Ruger 22/45 with 5.5 inch barrel and possibly a suppressor in the future. I would also like a NAA revolver.

Only thing holding me back is money. :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Beretta 87 Cheetah.

Pricey, I know, for a 22 but BOY is it a sweet little plinker. Its my "always"range gun. So much so my 617 never comes out of the safe anymore :(

Real cool when shooting Stingers out of it. Maybe even a good "desparation" self-defense pistol if loaded with Stingers.

G

·
I have a Ruger Mk2 with 6&7/8th" bull barrel. It has the Volquartsen Volthane grips, Volquartsen sear and extractor, and HiViz front sight. It is a great shooting pistol.

I also have a 4" bull 22/45 with Volquartsen hammer, trigger, and extractor as well as a HiViz front sight. It's a nice shooter and is easily packed. As I get more into the 1911 I get more into the 22/45. I wish I had bought the 5.5" bull though.

My S&W 422 used to be my favorite handgun. It was always very reliable, but it turned jamomatic seemingly overnight. Since I switched to Winchester Dynapoints it has not jammed a single time. I don't shoot it as much since I got into the Rugers.

G

·
Forgot to add that the Volquartsen sear makes all of the difference in the world. The trigger on it is much better than on the 22/45 that has both Vq hammer and trigger. The 22/45 still has the factory sear. The trigger pull is nice on it, but the Mk2 is phenominal. I don't want to change the sear on the 22/45 as I want it to approximate my 1911's pull as much as possible, and I use it in training classes sometimes.

One other thing about the 422. The grip angle is the same as own the S&W centerfires; so, it makes a nice training platform for intro to the 4006.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Erh,

I forgot to mention that my second favorite .22 was the Ruger Mark II. The Mark II is a joy to shoot, however take down for disassembly and cleaning is tricky for the uninitiated.

I'm suprised to see the Browning Buckmark getting a couple of nods from our members as I do not see as many of them around these parts of the country.

I guess I may be missing out on something.

Chris

G

·
I have a little taurus .22 revolver I enjoy shooting. 4" barrel and in stainless steel. The only downside is that it doesn't all eject the fired cases and one get stuck in the cylinder behind the ejector.
Other that that I used to enjoy playing with my Ramline Exactor, a strange pistol indeed.

G

·
Buckmark. Very, very accurate, functions flawlessly. It took me a while, but I settled on one type of cartridge for it that works well and I don't use any other. The only thing I don't like about it is having to remove the top strap (which mounts the rear sight) in order to fully disassemble and clean it. You're also pretty much stuck with having to clean it from the muzzle, as I really don't like separating the barrel from the frame. It's still a great little pistol though. I've found it to be way more reliable than their old Challenger model - at least the one I have experience with that was made in the 70's.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OK, Roger, don't leave us hanging...what round do you use in your little gem. Those of us with inquiring minds (and Buckmarks) need to know!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The only .22 pistol I own is a Ruger bull barrelled .22 auto.

I had a Smith & Wesson Model 63, but the tiny J frame grip wouldn't allow me to achieve a consistent hold, so I sold the gun. The only other .22 I have is a NAA in .22 Magnum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Favorite? Gotta be the Single Six (blued, 6.5 in. barrel). I have a .22-45 also and shoot it fairly often, but I don't love it the way I love the Single Six. My friend's Buckmark is nice, and I see why a lot of folks favor it. But if I could only have one it would be the Single Six.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts