Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

What is the minimum barrel length you're comfortable with in a 9mm primary carry pistol?

I prefer 5" but will live with 4" if required. I like that extra speed.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Josh,

4" is about my minimum personal required length, but I really prefer 4 21/32".

Take Care,
The Sockman

G

·
Let's muddy the water some, and make it interesting...

Are you confining your question to auto barrels, or do revolvers count (given that revo barrels are measured differently)? Even though added length improves ballistics (to a point), .38spl and .357mag are considered effective out of revolvers as short as 1-7/8 inches (forcing cone to muzzle). Aside from preferences and custom, there's no reason a 9x19 should not work from short barrels as well.

Cycling of an auto with very short barrels can be another question, however...

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll do autos only.

I've been thinking about a thread in the revolver section however for revolver calibers.

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I voted <3" simply because my 940 has a 1 7/8" barrel. It doesn't lose all that much speed compared to 4" autos.

The G26 has less than 4" and the G19 has a 4". The Browning between 4 and 5" of course.

Had a 5" Beretta once and the G19 was faster with some loads.

So I guess if we _have_ to leave the resolver out of this, I'd vote 3.46" for the G26.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I dont carry, but as a primary home defense pistol, 4 inches is the minimum, in fact I prefer 4 inches becuase it doesnt push the bullet to fast or too slow, which can effect performance. Instead, it is just right IMO.

BTW this is from my Glock 19.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I voted 3" because I am debating getting a Kahr PM9 and have heard fairly good reports on them. But generally I carry my Glock 19 which is a 4".

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there all,

I own and have been recently shooting the Kel Tec P-11.

I get acceptable combat accuracy out of the P-11 and I am experimenting with carry self defense loads as I am looking for the best balance between accuracy and terminal ballistics.

Speer is working on a short barrel 9mm load I have seen in other forums, but it is not currently available on the market yet.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts