Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

I wanted to get some opinions and experiences on what is the best J-frame grip for the small frame Smith and Wesson's for concealed carry?

Some people like the boot grip, but some the smooth wooden grips that are snag free for CCW holders.

Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
Carolinaman,
I prefer the rubber boot grip that came on my 642. I often carry my 642 in my pocket and have never had a problem with the grips snagging. They also provide for a better grip when shooting than would the smooth wood stocks..

Regards,
KCII

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I have UM combat grips (rubber booty style) on my 640 and they seem to work fine for ankle or occasional pocket carry.

A set of Fitz Gunfighters just like in Mr Camp's link below are great to shoot with & for hip carry, but too large for my ankle carry.

Hammerdown sent me a set of wood boot grips (smooth, medallions) that look terrific & will probably replace the UMs.

I need another J frame.. ;)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there Stephen,

Thank you for the link.

I do spend quite a bit of time reviewing your excellent articles and somehow missed that one. However, your article on snubs obviously had a very positive effect on me.

Chris

G

·
These are not very good pics, but I hope you get the idea.

I've tried various styles and brands of grips on my J-frames and these definitely work the best. (Butler Creek #50507)

Starting with the larger grip in the below pics, I sanded roughly 3/4" off the base with my inverted belt sander. They are aproximately the size of the boot grips, but THEY COVER THE BACKSTRAP which really helps with both control and comfort.

G

·
Carolinaman, these are Eagle Secret Service grips and I like them better than Ahrends boot grips. The grips are on my S&W M37. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there Richard,

The grips pictured almost appear to be the same ones offered on Smith and Wesson's website cateloged as the R D J round butt boot grip offered in Dymowood, Cocobolo. I wondered if S&W copied the Eagle or even the Ahrend's Grips?

Catbird, excellent idea with the sander to achieve a covered backstrap!

Chris

G

·
Carolinaman, my beautiful Ahrends grips cracked when I took them off my M60 prior to sale. My guess is Eagle grips are stronger grips. Regards, Richard ???

G

·
The best I've found by far are Craig Spegel's original boot grips. Spegel makes a special version for the Centennial guns where the top of the grip (where it contacts the web of the hand) goes all the way up the rear of the frame. Really spreads the recoil out over a larger area and keeps the cylinder release from biting your right thumb. Fit and finish on Spegel's grips are second to none.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I second the recommendation of Eagle's Secret Service grips. Have had them on my J-frame for years. Like the way they fit, like the way they look, and like the way they work.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there brerarnold,

I've been looking a lot at the grips offered on S & W website and they look alot like the Eagle Secret Service Grips.

I have found that all of the grips in this category are about in the same price range of $55.00-$60.00. I think that they are probably the same in quality and S & W offers theirs in Cocobolo Wood. Eagle is available in Rosewood and Ebony?

Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's correct, Eagle's are in rosewood and ebony. I have a set of the rosewoods for my J-frame, and ebonies for an L-frame that I now longer own. Cocobolo is a handsome chunk of wood also. You are right, the ones on S&W's site look remarkably similar. I believe that everyone took a good look at Craig Spegel's work, noted what works and what doesn't, and pretty much went from there, so you don't get a lot of difference. (I am not a historian of grips, so maybe Spegel was riffing off someone else.)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there lesterpwang,

The best place to buy Eagle Grips is from Eagle Grips directly. I've checked several places and it appears that dollar for dollar there is very little difference in price.

I have also checked on S&W's website for their versions of the boot grip available in rosewood and dymowood. The rosewood grips just aren't as good looking as the Eagle Grips and they are offered for the same price.

Before I buy anything, I am going to check Hogue Grips which is a favorite of mine.

I have not found a source for Spegal Grips, yet.

Chris

G

·
Where is a good place to buy Spegel and Eagle grips?

Lester
I bought my Spegel boot grips from Don Williams at ww.pickagrip.com. Don is a great guy to deal with and provided excellent service (I got the grips two days after ordering them). Lighting Arms (www.lightningarms.com) and Novak's (www.novaksights.com) also carry them, but their prices are a little higher than pickagrip and I have no experience with their service.

G

·
I never replaced the original Uncle Mikes boot grips because they are small, comfortable and durable. If I were to replace them I'd get the Hogue Monogrips just because I like how they feel,

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi there Zoridog,

I searched the internet looking for grip options. They are all priced around the same range and I am starting to lean in the direction of keeping the original Uncle Mikes Boot Grips on the the 642-2.

I already have a huge collection of spare holsters and I don't want to start a "huge" collection of spare grips.

Chris

G

·
This is just FYI and is something I'm now trying out. It is the Crimson Trace Lasergrip. While I love the aesthetics of some of gorgeous wood grips, "aesthetics" is not very high on my list of desireable features.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts