Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've taken a third job at a stop'n'rob to fund a project (and before you ask, I don't sleep, ok?
)

I'd like a 9mm five shot snubbie with a concealed or bobbed hammer.

Who makes these? I want concealability and no built in gun lock.

A .38spl would be next on the list, but I revolve around 9mm at this point.

The Taurus 92 is uncomfortable to conceal for 16hrs in the IWB holster (albeit a cheapo).

Thanks,

Josh <><

G

·
If you can find and older S&W 547 in 9mm Parabelleum you might be on the right track. They are scarce, but they are around.

If you don't mind a smaller cartridge, look for and older S&W "I" frame in either a .32 Hand Ejector in .32 S&W Long (six shots) or a S&W Terrier in .38 S&W (five shots.) Both were discontinued in 1961 in the "I" frame.

Freedom Arms makes the Casull CA-2000 in either .22 lr or .32 H&R Magnum. 8 ounces, 1 1/2" barrel, stainless steel, and a folding trigger (DAO) MSRP $395.00

I hope that this helps,

Scott

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ruger SP-101. 2 1/2" barrel, Bobbed Hammer, 9mm. They've stopped making them, but you can find them if you search.

Smith and Wesson has made two models in 9mm:

940- 5-shot J-Frame
547 6-shot K-Frame

Your only other choice, and probably the easiest and cheapest one is to go for a Taurus 905. The downside is the internal lock.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Josh,

Only one I've had extensive experience with is the S&W 940.

They are sweet! For some reason every one I've handled has had a MUCH lighter and smoother trigger than the typical Centennial.

Velocities are quite respectable; mine with 1 7/8" barrel shoots as fast or faster than most of the 'pocket rocket' 9mm's and is usually within 50-70 fps of my 4" Grock 19.

Old style Silvertips run 1050 in mine vs 1110 in the G19. Newer loads with more efficient powders do better in short barrels.

124gr +P Golden Sabres run 1150 or so. (This is from memory as I can't open the data file right now.) This is very respectable performance.

Couple of warts:

Prices have been going insane on them lately. Last one I saw at a show was like $450 NIB. There may be some on the market someday if SLED ever trades in theirs.

They are a bit heavy for casual pocket carry.

There's an issue with Federal ammo giving sticky extraction in some dash numbers. Friend has no problem in his 940; my 940-1 doesn't like it. This includes Speer and CorBon also. Zero problems with Remchester.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out.

I think I've only seen one 9mm revolver around here in all the years I've been shooting.

If I can't find one I'll just get an old Taurus .38spl with no gun lock, bob the hammer, and call it good.

Hopefully I can find one that one of you mentioned however.

I get robbed I'll give 'em all the money they want. Got no problem with that.

If they start trying to get me into the back room that's when I draw the line and take desperate action.

Thanks again,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Josh,

Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag with 3-1/6" Barrel, Model #KSP-331X. This is the Best small frame revolver going.

Take Care,
Bob

·
Registered
720 Posts
Josh,
the most awsome pocket gun I've seen lately is a S&W 342PD 38special 1-7/8barrel 10.5oz concealed hammer fires GoldenSabers and the new GoldDot round with excellent penetration and expansion. Might have to look for one on the internet gun sales.
og

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'll second that on the 342.

Mine is the plain 342 with the bright finish, but essentially the same piece. Only downside is it needs jacketed bullets for +P loads, so the 158gr LSWHP +P isn't useable.

Upside is it's light, rustproof and handy. You don't notice it in a pocket.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Josh,

Since S&W and Sturm Ruger no longer catalog a 9mm revolver, I would strongly recommend the S&W 642 as a candidate for the roll of a CCW pistol.

It can serve admirably for both pocket and IWB carry. I have owned the Ruger SP 101, but prefer the S&W alloy J-frame for size and weight.

It is lightweight and very concealable. Mr. Camp has often referred to it as his "always" gun for good reason.

I certainly enjoy mine and you will be pleased with its performance.

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Howdy Josh,

If I had my druthers, I'd have all 9mm guns too.
I used to work a newsstand. I had escape routes out the front and back. Like you, I'd give up the cash, but as you know, one has to sell one's life as dearly as possible. Behind the register there, you might not have good escape routes, no?

I carried then, and still do, an S&W 638-2 w/out the "lock." It disappears in your pocket at just under a pound. I figure the hammer feature might come in handy if one's hands are injured and you have to make a shot with another non-trigger finger or a left hand shot.

Good hunting finding your snubby of choice.

--D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Josh,

It seems that there are quite a few clean, sometimes very clean, second hand S&W model 36s (and the many variants) floating around on the internet auction sites, and if you keep your eyes open, some nice Colt DSs as well, for reasonable prices. Unless you have your heart set on a 9mm, I would give the "old school" 38 snub a good look. Based on my experience, I would stick with Smith, Colt or Ruger. In any event, let us know what you end up with.

PGM

·
Registered
430 Posts
Josh, as an asside...are you looking for a revolver for any particular reason? If you really wish to stay with 9mm, you might look at a Kel-Tec P11. If I recall you mentioned before you had rather large pockets. Kahr PM9 is viable, although expensive, as well.

If I wanted a Stop 'N' Rob gun, I'd probably opt for a Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite, though.

-Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts