Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

What cartridge does your local/state LEO carry?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Carolinaman brought this up in the .40 cal discussion thread below, so I thought I'd start the thread.

Here in NJ, our State police used to carry H&K P series pistols, but as of late have switched to Sig 229's in 9mm

My local PD carry Sig 228's in 9mm. 147 hydra-shok ammo They are a "1 gun" dept; meaning that they must carry the duty weapon as their off duty weapon also. :(

They use Colt CARs in 9mm as the squad car rifles since 9/11, selling off every shotgun they owned...[just dumb in my eyes]. these guns have constant feed troubles with anything but ball, hydro-shok, and corbon's pow'rball.

County police have opted for the Glock mid sized pistol in .357sig. They carry speer.

Most communities surrounding mine have gone to a .40 platform in one flavor or another, but most Sig or Glock.

How bout yourn?

#3 ·
Hello. Officers with the city PD can use about anything from .38 Special revolvers up to anything they can qualify with in revolver or auto. Most are carrying cocked-and-locked 1911's with some 9mm and .40 Glocks in the mix. The Sheriff's Department offers similar lattitude I think and I'm sure that the 1911 .45 is popular there as well.

Best.

#5 ·
Hi, Josh. This seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Most of the larger departments specify a narrow range of what can be carried from a single duty pistol to a choice of perhaps two or three. In medium and smaller agencies, some choice is sometimes allow, but some dictate a specific caliber, make, and model.

Best.

#6 ·
Gents,
Believe the Oregon State Police are carrying G22's. Our Dept of Corrections folk use the G22 also. Polk and Marion County pack G22's, as well.
Most have transitioned to the .40. Our Dept had Sig 220's and traded them for .40's. A lot of officers hated the change and still do...that includes several who carried them while meeting the elephant. They believed in them and TRUSTED them to do the job.
Wes

#10 ·
Local city dept issues SIG220 with 200gr Speer Gold Dot +P

Most counties locally seem to be opting for the G22, though some allow private purchases within guidelines.

SBI was issuing SIG 9mm's last I heard, with Hiway Patrol and Wildlife folks using Berettas.

Regards,

Pat

#13 ·
Hi Pat,

Actually the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) was the first police agency in the country to adopt the G-23. The state police were carrying 10mm pistols and then adopted the G-22 and most of the agencies have followed suit.

Chris

G
#18 ·
The majority of Wisconsin PD's have made the switch (or are planning to) to .40 S&W. The 180 gr Gold Dot HP loading has had a very good track record in Wisconsin against armed felons, who tend to wear heaving clothing much of the year in this climate, and against car windshields. The Glock 22 is easily the most popular duty pistol. These are in fact the ammo and pistol choices of my city PD and of our county sheriff's dept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.