Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just joined this forum and I'm hoping for some insight. I have two pistols that I'm concerned about, both I bought used, a Ruger P95DC and a Glock 21. These are the only polymer frame guns I have, I'm noticing a little slop in the slide-to-frame fit, I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about, I'm not even sure how "tight" these guns would have been when new. The P95 can't really keep up on a 25 yard slow fire target anymore (not really why I bought it anyway), with the G21 I can still keep all the rounds close to, or in the black. My questions: is the fit (slide to frame) responsible for a great part of a semi-auto's accuracy, also, do I need to keep an eye on the wear at the slide/frame join for safety reasons (how bad can they get before ka-blooie)? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, and welcome. I am no gunsmith, just a shooter, but it has been my observation that barrel-to-slide fit seems to exert a greater influence on a pistol's ability to group well than slide-to-frame fit.

Best, and again, welcome.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If one is generous with the term, I am a gunsmith (got my license in 1974) but just don't have time to work on them any more.

FWIW, Steve is spot on. It is the fit between the barrel and slide (where the sights rest). True enough, to set up an auto for bulls eye many 'smiths will tighten the slide to frame fit as a matter of course and I admit that it might improve accuracy a little but the main thing is the barrel to slide.

All of my Glocks rattle and half of my 1911s do. I don't own any centerfire Rugers (not a slam I just haven't got around to it).

Personally I would not worry much. Glocks have a reputation for lasting a long time. I dont have data on Rugers but I would not be surprised to find either one of them are 100,000 round plus pistols.

Jim

G

·
The advice is pretty good, my main concern would checking to make sure you don't have excessive wear to the frame rails or stretching of the polymer components of the pistol. Safety of the pistol would be my main concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I'm assuming that, of the two components, the slide is of softer material than the barrel. When a pistol has had a bunch of ammo run through it, is it common practice to replace either or both of these components? Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I'm assuming that, of the two components, the slide is of softer material than the barrel. When a pistol has had a bunch of ammo run through it, is it common practice to replace either or both of these components? Thanks
I hate to be unequivical but "it depends". I have a Colt Govt. Model that I have put in excess of 150,000 rounds through it. There is a small hairline crack in the frame but the barrel is fine and the slide is fine. The gun continues to shoot fine (I have repaired cracks like this for other folks but decided to just leave it alon on my gun).

The caveat is that the bulk of those 150,000 + rounds were cast bullets. These days I shoot mostly jacketed bullets but I don't have any guns that have more than 50K of jackted bullets through them so I cannot say.

A friend was a military armorer who kept good records. Some of the 1911a1s in his shop had over 400K through them. While some had had the barrels replaced, many had not. Of course he lost a few of them to cracks in the slides and I know he had at least two barrel lugs break off (he had some 500+ guns in his armory so that is not a real significant number considering that 25% of his Berettas broke in the first 6,000 rounds!).

FWIW, my impression of worn out pistol barrels is that most were worn out from cleaning or from old guns with corrosive ammo. Some older guns with less sophisticated heat treatment and softer steel might actually were (or get battered) but I don't think quality modern guns will do that.

Good luck!
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts