Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys /gals

Im curious to know about those that own gun safes and what you "leave out the safe/loaded" gun wise for home defense?

I tend to leave one handgun out (9mm xd)and everything else is kept in the safe but I have been thinking about if something happens and both me and the wife need to be armed. I might not have time to open the safe to get another weapon (so that the wife can be armed also). I will either be buying a revolver or lil 380 later on this year so that I have something small to carry around as a good house gun and ccw when I get my license. In the meantime I am thinking of leaving my shotgun out with a keylock on it figuring that I can open a key lock way faster then getting into the safe Im curious as to how what others tend to do ...

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
My carry gun is accessible at all times. We keep a loaded Colt Detective Special in a drawer (her "sock drawer") 24/7 for my wife. It is there should she need it whilst I'm not home and as a back-up.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Any weapons I have are readily accessable to me.

When I had a fairly large collection they hung on my wall.

I have a fairly small collection of firearms now. Two long arms and a pistol. The pistol is always with me and the longarms are in my room loaded. Reason is that my dad is kinda' like that guy (Atticus?) in To Kill A Mockingbird. He shoots well but not often, and given that the house is in the country, the .22 and perhaps the shotgun would come in handy now and again.

Currently I'm back and forth between my fiance's and my rented room at my parents' house and the pistol is my travel gun.

My rented room locks and there's no reason I see to use the safe I bought years back for my pistol. It sits with cleaning equipment in it. My ammunition supply has a dresser drawer dedicated to it, mixed 9mm, 12 gauge, .38spl (need to get a snubbie for that stuff!), .22.

I digress. No use for the gunsafe at the time. When I get that .38 I'm going to let my fiance use it. The purchase time is up to her as she's a bit uncomfortable around firearms still. If she wants to lock it up except for night I'll bring the safe over... but I've really no use for them any longer.

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
Being one of the youngest around here, I still live full time with my folks. We have an old large fire proof safe, that is in the garage, where most of the long arms and spare handguns are stored. The exception being a .22 rifle that I took to the gunshow over the weekend, and a Remington 700 .243 which my dad recently "sold" to a buddy that is awaiting transit to finish the deal.

I said spare handguns, because currently there are 4 handguns inside the house, with another 4 others in the safe. My two, a .22 S&W and 9mm Ruger, and two of my dad's .32 CZ and 7.62x25mm Tokarov. We each store our handguns seperately, when at home, or when someone is at home, I leave my Ruger next to my bed loaded and ready, and the .22 sits in a lockable aluminum case, along with my spare ammunition and magazines. When I leave, I place the Ruger in the case, lock it, and put it in a hiding place. My father carries one of his guns with him at all times, the other is placed in a secure location. When we're gone for a day or more from home, we lock all the guns in the safe.

One of the precautions we have taken is to record all model and serial numbers of guns we own, along with possible identifying marks. In the unfortunate and hopefully unlikely(knock on wood) event that one or more of our guns is stolen, we will have this information readily available to provide to the police. In fact, this has just reminded me of something I wanted to do, and that is to photograph each gun, along with the serial number and model designation, and burn it all to a cd-rom, for future reference purposes.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I store all my long arms and handguns in a safe that is in my bedroom closet, quite close to where I sleep. I carry a J-frame when I am awake, in the apartment or outside. The pistols, a shotgun, and a carbine are kept loaded in the safe. When I am at home, the safe is open, as is the closet. When I leave, I first close and lock the safe, and close the closet. If I go away on a really long trip, the firearms are unloaded, and trigger locks go on 'em, then the safe gets locked, then the trigger lock keys get "hidden." After some months of obsessively unlocking the safe as the first thing one does when arriving at home, checking to see the firearms are loaded, it will become a "second nature" ritual. I have thought of putting a semi-auto in a "lock box" in another part of the house farther from the main safe, but have not done so yet.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

With 3 teenagers living in the house, all of my guns are locked up with the exception of my Glock 23 that is kept unloaded with the magazine in a separate location from the pistol.

I don't like to leave anything to chance, but my kids have been around firearms most of their lives and have shot .22's and shotguns with me present to teach them firearms safety. I could leave a loaded pistol on the kitchen table and they would ignore it--since their curiousity over the mystique of firearms has long vanished.

However, I am not home all of the time and when they have their friends over, I cannot trust what will happen. I would rather ere to the side of caution.

Chris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Basically, whatever I'm carrying is the only piece thats loaded and not in the lockup. There's an old Topper that hangs above the bed with a couple of shells of #4 and BB nearby for dispatching various varmints.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts