Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us with the luxury of being able to choose between carry guns, how many of you choose which gun to carry based on weather?

I

·
Registered
109 Posts
all my primary weapns have a weather proof finish on them, both inside and out.... good for salt water, rain or what ever. I have had my custom build HP, threw rivers, and I mean threw rivers.... in and out of the water, for days...as well as salt water, for weeks... saw rust once, years and years ago...went crazy, and solved that problem for life. ......Pax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of finish do you have on your Hi Power? My finish is starting to show some wear, and I'm going to need to get my night sights replaced before too long.

Kent

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to Mac, of Mac's shootin irons...he does a gun coat finish, then covers that absorbant finish, with a poly coat.... and then guarantees it for LIFE..against rust or corrosion. The top poly coat, is a self lube....and when I clean it up, can wash it with hot water and dawn dish soap.... then just to be safe, I blow it dry, and put a thin film of Mili-Tec1, and dri-slide. The finish coat can be had, in both the non gloss or semi gloss....and is a no shine, or reflection finish.... he does all inside parts, and will replace springs etc...at the same time, and all outside parts...plus micro barrel polish. turn around time, about two weeks or less, and is of the old school.... his honor and quality workmanship....is his word... not his advertisements. contact points will show, some wear, such as the slide...but very little maintenance, for protection. compared to Robar....it is less then half the price....and does everything the same as Robar. If you can't find the link, PM me...and I will look it up..or better yet...I will find it, and post it. .........Pax

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not really (those finish options mentioned are well worthwhile though).

About the only weather based choices I might make are in long guns which might be exposed constantly.

When the weather gets really "thick" I usually opt for a synthetic stocked rifle and storm caps on any optic I might have. Stainless or one of those finishes might be a plus also but I don't have a lot of stainless long guns.

Onward,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thread.

Here, in Western Oregon, we get 70+ inches of rain per year. So anything that is going to be out for a while needs protection.

I've settled on my 4" Colt Anaconda or Combat Commander and don't give the weather much thought. This for scouting/hiking/etc.

All my serious hunting rifles are rust blued. Seems to hold up well to the elements with minimal care. One trick here is to pull the rifle out of the stock and put a liberal coating of Johnson's Paste was on exposed metal surfaces. Buff off the excess and your ready to go.

On optics I use the Butler Creek flip up lens caps. Preferably, the clear model. You can see and have the optics protected at the same time.

Wes

·
Registered
109 Posts
In nasty weather, or in perfect weather...my first concern is the inside of the gun, ...how they look on the outside, rarely has any bearing on the important points....of how the weapon functions...or for how long the weapon functions.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Glock 23 for a handgun. For deep concealed carry, one of my Kel Tecs.

All of my rifles and shotguns at present are blued. I thoroughly wipe them down before and after I go out into inclement weather and do not case store them until I absolutely know they are free of moisture.

Chris

·
Registered
898 Posts
I just try to take a little care of my guns. Got plenty of oil at home and in the vehicle. My safe is a frickin' desert with all the desiccant in there!
Only bought stainless firearms when they were the best deal in front of me. Suppose it's a good thing my Delta Elite is stainless, since it's likely to be toted when spending time outdoors where the predatory critters come bigger than **** Sapiens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I give more thought to the "seasons" summer/winter, dictating my carry choice. That is, a Bersa .380 or KT P-32 or SP101 during the summer. During the winter, a G19 or 1911 or maybe 686+ under the jacket.

Its just that I don't like to get caught out in a Texas rainstorm all that much - if I had to I suppose it would be my SS SP101.

Not too many snow storms down here on Galveston to worry about

·
Registered
525 Posts
Two summers ago I was carrying a blued Taurus 85 (j-frame size) in a synthetic pocket holster while spending a lot of outdoor time at a house I was fixing up. Altho I wiped it down each night, I soon found some pitting on the cylinder and side plate closest to my body -- perspiration was going right through the holster, and it only took a few hours to do its dirty work. And perspiring is one of the things I do well, especially in Texas!

So my next two purchases were stainless steel revolvers (and I already had a Glock). I broke the trend when I bought a blued Hi Power recently, but even there I suspect I will get a more finish on it one of these days (or more likely, I will buy another Hi Power/clone as the infamous "project gun" and get it NP3'd, GunKoted, or whatever strikes my fancy). If/when I carry the HiPower, I am sure it won't be in a pocket holster or IWB, so proximity to my sweat glands will be reduced.

I guess I choose my carry gun based on what the weather will do to my body! Additionally, one of the revolvers is my horseback riding gun, and I bought stainless not just for my sweat but for horse sweat, dust, rain, horse spit, etc (never can stay clean around a horse, and it's amazing the ways they can find to get goop on me!).

elb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts