Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are the Walther P99 series of pistols just about perfect?

What pistol/revolver did YOUR Walther P99/P99c force into premature retirement?

My new P99c/AS/SW* is pushing my all time favorite Sig P239 into the lock box with all forward speed, but the sweet Sig is hanging on by the skin of it's Crimson Trace Lasergripped chin!

Without the additional accuracy provided by the Lasergrips the little Walther would already be the "alpha male" firearm in this house. I prefer the trigger on the Walther, the way the ambi slide release works + 2 extra rounds.. But I still love the Sig too.

Thanks again Shipwreck, for continually shouting the praises of the P99's thereby pointing me in their direction...

JMOFO,

J. Pomeroy

*Shipwreck model

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Jesse,

A very nice duo of pistols I agree. We don't hear enough about the Walther P-99 on this forum and I would be interested to hear from what other P-99 owners have to say about them.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am with you on that Chris as I am on a lot of forums, and things are fairly quiet about the P99's except for Shipwreck. He is a big fan of them, and has a real nice collection of them. He sends his slides out and has them hard chromed and they look real good. I would like to hear what others think of them?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I love the Walther P99 and it has stellar ergonomics and fits me to a "T". I SHALL buy one someday, very soon. The only thing stopping me from now is my desire for a new 1911 and the price of standard capacity magazines.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello PX,

I am taking a very hard look at the SIG 239 in .357 SIG and will start inquiring about dealer pricing today.

Chris

·
Registered
98 Posts
My P99, date code "KK", was one of the first off the Walther assembly line. While it's not perfect, it comes close!!!
It's an old Interarms roll marked gun and has seen a lot of rounds through it. Like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

Today, I am going to take a look at the Walther P-99 that has been languishing of the shelf of my dealer to see if it is within "reach" of my budget. They have had one languishing in the case for over a year and half now.

Chris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hello,

Today, I am going to take a look at the Walther P-99 that has been languishing of the shelf of my dealer to see if it is within "reach" of my budget. They have had one languishing in the case for over a year and half now.

Chris
Time to see if they want their money back out of it.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I just got one of these neat little Walther P99's about a month ago and it totally retired my Luger. I'm not sure of the date code (doesn't seem to be one). This is the first weapon I had in a long time that just fits and feels right in my hand. Mine is a .40cal. with a 9m/m+ conv. and it's a keeper.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've got one of the first pattern P99s, and I love it. A pleasure to hold and shoot, and when I take my time to shoot properly, it's nice and accurate.

G

·
I haven't used the P99 at all, but if it's smaller variety, the P22 is any indication, I'll pass. I bought a P22 for my wife when they came out. I spent $366 at Cabella's and it came with a nice case and two different barrel lengths. I was all excited. Well, the mag release was stupid and even some experienced shooters who came out to try it dropped the stupid thing. I don't think you should have to learn to shoot a gun without dropping the magazine, but you had to with this one. Accuracy wasn't all that bad, but we had to shoot really hot rounds out of it or it wouldn't cycle. As it was it jammed about three to five rounds out of every ten. We tried everything to get that peice of garbage to work, and it kept breaking down. Then, the spring pin under the safety started protruding out of the left side and you COULDN'T SAFETY THE WEAPON!!!!! We had only put 130 rounds through it and it was already unuseable. It went back to Cabella's the next day to be replaced by a Ruger MkII 22/45 which has had zero malfunctions and can be drop-kicked with impugnity. I'll never buy a Walther again. If you're retiring that SIG then please, let me give it a new life.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't let the P22 sour you on the P99. They are two very different beasts that just happen to look alike. I've never had any problems with mine, and I bought it used. The only similarity I can think of besides looks is the magazine release, and I've never heard of anybody having issues with dropping the magazine while shooting. It does take some getting used to, I'll give you that, but it's really not much of an issue. I got it down in one range session, and I've never had a problem with it. I never had much interest in the P22, but the P99 is well worth any attention you give it, even if they have gotten uglier.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have had one of the Ti coated slide models for several years. Reliable as a Glock but actually fits the hand. I wouldn't want to sell mine, I know its gonna go bang each time I pull the trigger, can't say the same for some other pistols I've owned, especially a certain US made that also has the letter "P" in its model designation.

G

·
I have the P22 3.4" and the P99 AS. I have over 2000 rounds on my P99 and over 8000 on the P22.
I like the magazine release set-up on them and never had a problem with that.
I tried the P99 QA but did not like the trigger pull[DA only] on it so I went for the AS.
Both pistols have an accessory rails; I use a light on the P99 for home defense and sometimes use a red dot scope on the P22 for fun but rather use the open sights. One problem that I can see with the P99 AS is that it goes to SA mode when you load it and rack the slide. So you need to remember to decock it to DA to carry it safely. Other than that, I feel they were great value[under $1000] for two fine pistols.

G

·
Can someone please explain the model to trigger for me ? I owned an older 9mm P99 it had a three maybe 4 stage trigger, from slide lock load trigger would move back and "Click" then it had a very short light trigger almost functioned as a set trigger, unfortunately working the trigger on load and make ready is not considered good manners at an IDPA match. so from slide lock load now draw start pulling trigger past first click then second bang, or I could load from slidelock hit the big button on slide and then had a long no click heavy DA pull. What trigger model did I have ? as because of the allmost nonexistant reset I am considering buying it back as a camper fisher.

G

·
I believe that the P99 is available, or has been available, with 3 or 4 different trigger mechanisms. Go to their website for the latest on these.

G

·
Yes mine was from when they all had one trigger, I may end up ordering one sight unseen so was wondering how my old one translated into the new trigger models. Thinking the trigger I had was pretty quick I thought it might have been the Quick action but the description of that one sounded like a DAO

G

·
When these handguns first came out with the different types of triggers there was a gun magazine article on them with graphs of force (to move the trigger) vs. trigger movement distance to show how each trigger worked. These pretty much had to have come from Walther. I would bug Walther with your questions. Mayber they can send you a brochure or something with these graphs, as they would assuradly answer your questions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts