Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

VETERAN COLT 1911

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kcii 
#1 ·
The other day I ran up to the a local gun store to pick up a can of powder and some primers and........I'm sure you all know the story. I get what I need and stop to peruse the used gun case and came home with this as well:

According to the various 1911 collector sites, this one was made in 1917. It has a WWII era replacement barrel but other than that it appears to be all original. The gun had a horrible set of homemade grips on it when I bought it so it is temporarily wearing a set of Kimber rubber grips until the Houge repro grips get here (backordered 10-12 wks). Most of the finish is long gone, but on the inside the majority of the bluing remains on the slide rails and feed ramp areas (carried alot, shot a little ?). I was able to get out to the range and fired 50rds of mixed Magtech and PMC ball through it. No malfunctions and I managed 15 yard 3" groups. It may be capable of better but it was cold and windy and those original 1911 sights are nearly impossible to see. I have wanted an original 1911 (shooter grade) for some time and I'm quite happy with this one. Thanks for listening.

Shawn

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.