Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I have recently come upon a packet of Velet 9mm ammunition that is at least thirty years old. The packaging claims that these cartridges contain "exploding bullets" offering "low penetration" with "diminished ricochet." It goes on to declare that an "impact fuse detonates [an] explosive charge in the bullet nose!"
This strikes me as so outlandish that I'm assuming their advertising department went far beyond hyperbole and that in reality Velet ammunition is merely an early version of the pre-fragmented rounds that are still around today. Might anyone here know more about this ammo and the company's claims? Thanks. --c

· Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Hello. No, I recall ammunition having what appeared to be primers in the front of the hollow point. I have no idea if there was any explosive under the primer or not. I do not recall the company name but the front of the flat profile jacketed HP was painted yellow, sealing the primer.

Best.

· Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Books & Journals/Journal of Forensic Sciences/Citation Page/

Volume 25, Issue 1 (January 1980)

ISSN: 0022-1198
Published Online: 1 January 1980
Page Count: 9

Click here to download this paper now

View License Agreement

The Glaser Safety Slug and the Velex/Velet Exploding Bullet
Menzies, RC
British Army exchange pathologist and chief, Missile Trauma Pathology Branch, Division of Forensic Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP), Washington, D.C.

Anderson, LE
Special agent and firearms instructor, Federal Bureau of Investigation Academy, Quantico, Va.

Abstract
The Glaser Safety Slug and the Velex/Velet Exploding Bullet are both designed to fragment on impact with their targets. Recognition of these rounds after firing is possible by the use of roentgenography and wound tract examination, and the characteristic appearances are described and illustrated. Despite the degree of physical disruption of the bullets recovery of the copper jackets will permit useful comparison microscope examination. In the case of the Velex/Velet Exploding Bullet recovery of the percussion cap may also provide useful information.
http://journalsip.astm.org/JOURNALS/FORENSIC/PAGES/5260.htm

I would put them up and consider them to be a collector's item...

Just my opinion.

Josh <><

· Registered
2,617 Posts
I also recall one called the XPloder.

I remember buying a box of .380 for a friend who carried an AMT Backup in the early 80's for a while. He was worried when it failed miserably to stop a charging groundhog.

Regards,

Pat

· Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Something I've seen people do around here - and I'm not recommending this, advocating it, or anything of the sort, in fact I think it's pretty dangerous - is to drill holes in the noses of Foster slugs, drop .22 blanks into each one, and use them on deer. They sometimes went off, and when they did they ruined a lot of meat (like a .73 lead badminton projectile wouldn't do enough damage to a whitetail...)

Josh <><

· Registered
67 Posts
In the 60's a trick advocated by some was to drill out a .44 Mag to accept a .22 blank.They claimed wonderful things,I dont know, I just heard about it(along with more than a few other things).Will

· Registered
2,617 Posts
There was a quote of an advert in (I think) the Williamson book about the hollow point in the .50-110 being sized for a .22 blank. Don't know if anyone ever tried it or what happened in the tubular magazine.

Regards,

Pat

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. These rounds (eight, originally ten) are on 3"x6" cardboard under cellophane/plastic. There is no company designation other than "Velet" and there is no company address given. The cases are R-P and the bullet appears to be a JHP that is capped with some type of red covering. I wonder what's inside. The price sticker says $9.50, quite a price for ten rounds back in the '70's. And no, I will not fire these curiosities.

--c

· Registered
2 Posts
Friends, I have recently come upon a packet of Velet 9mm ammunition that is at least thirty years old. The packaging claims that these cartridges contain "exploding bullets" offering "low penetration" with "diminished ricochet." It goes on to declare that an "impact fuse detonates [an] explosive charge in the bullet nose!"
This strikes me as so outlandish that I'm assuming their advertising department went far beyond hyperbole and that in reality Velet ammunition is merely an early version of the pre-fragmented rounds that are still around today. Might anyone here know more about this ammo and the company's claims? Thanks. --c
To see the USA Patent(s) on the Velet Exploding bullets just search US Patent # 4216722A (There are 5 claims accepted by US Patent office.) I amazes why so many fools on the internet make baseless charges when the answer is so available. (try Velet Exploding Bullet on Google you FOOLISH clown.

· Administrator
653 Posts
Well, to be fair, this thread was started 15 years ago, so maybe the poster has since done research on your patent and bullets.

Just for grins, I did search Google on your bullets and patents. I found articles primarily on cartridge collector websites and one legal research website that actually had the patent from 1980, which I'm assuming has expired in the intervening 43 years.

Perhaps calling people names while using poor punctuation and grammar isn't the best look for your first post on a forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts