Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to attend the Tulsa Gun Show for the first time-Motel arrangements made. Plan to drive the 1300 miles, since I also plan some personal travel in the general OK & KS area. What can I expect to encounter in the way of crowds, parking problems (cost?), food available, real firearms vendors as well as exhibits, weighted towards long or hand guns,etc? I am member of S&WCA and BCA, so expect to find a few like souls. Will especially look for FN/Browning HP's. I'm a "veteran" of many gun shows, but none this large & distance away.Would like a 'leg up' on Tulsa. TIA for your advice. Regards to all, G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If it's anything like the Spring 2003 show, expect to do a LOT of walking, both from wherever you manage to find a parking place, and once inside. Good shoes are a must, in other words. We found that parking was a huge pain in the butt; we ended up parking in a shopping center about 1/4 of a mile away and hoofing it in. Luckily several stores were either out of business or closed, so we didn't get towed. (We waited in traffic to turn into the show for ONE HOUR. Yes, that's sixty minutes of being stuck in traffic. I'm still wondering what we did wrong, but all those people in front of and behind us must have made the same mistake.)

If you're going with a friend, it might be helpful to have a set of FRS radios. We took a set and found out we weren't alone. It might also be a good idea to carry a notepad to jot down locations of interesting finds so you can find them a second time. The size of the show makes this an absolute necessity.

What I noticed was that, probably because of the size of the show, people were really in a mood to deal. Or maybe I'm prejudiced because I walked in with $400 in my pocket and had $1,500 in there within an hour or so.

There are venders at the show who will have hot dogs, burgers, and such, all at the usually inflated circus prices, but there was actually some good stuff.

There were also several really neat displays in the not for sale category, including a guy who'd built a functioning Gatling cannon and set it up. We're talking late 19th-century 2" bore stuff, but unfortunately the show operators didn't want him shooting it inside because of potential damage to the walls and to the local economy. :)

Basically there's something for everyone, and remember that when you're in Tulsa, OK, you're almost but not quite living in the South. I'm a native Southerner and moved to Stillwater (an hour west of Tulsa) back in 1990 and stayed three years. I felt very much at home there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show Worlds Largest!

This is a huge show (upper and lower levels of the Expo building) with big crowds and competitive parking (free) I have allways found a parking spot but be advised it won't be easy. The food is gun show food it could be better, if you want a great steak after the show Texas Roadhouse on 71st street is hard to beat. There is usually a Browning exhibit on the lower level it's very interesting.

I can walk this show in one day but two days is better. I live 45 miles south of Tulsa so I make it both days. I'll be on the look out for a Hi-Power in .40, maybe we'll run into each other. If you can come in on 64 / 51 (Broken Arrow Expwy) east bound and take the 21st street exit left on 21st it will take you right in front of the Expo. Hope you enjoy the show and Tulsa.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanx for the helpful suggestions. Looks like parking is the usual hassel-but looking forward to it, nevertheless. Leland Ray: I was born in Stillwater OK. That was over 78 years ago, & they still haven't made it a National Shrine-do you think they forgot? I think I was about one year old when the folks pulled up stakes & came east, so maybe I don't qualify as a native.
Regards to all, G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hey, Bubba, I was born in Canton, Mississippi but moved to Stillwater for graduate school and taught at OSU for three years. I got married (and divorced) in Stillwater, but I still like Oklahoma. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Leland. My dad was a prof at Oklahoma A & M (before name change). Taught .Ag Economics. He got his doctorate at Wisconsin. WW I service in France & did it all with no financial help in those days. He was a native of KS. Pardon my rambling. :) G>M>F>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts