Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Recently re-read one of Stephen's treatises, in which he commented on his "trusting" nature, being a reason for going armed. I would agree with his opinion and would like to share an anonymous saying I have had for a number of years...it sums up the situation perfectly.

"I appreciate both danger and my own limitations, but I cannot let fear rob me of my liberty and the pleasures of life: fear is to be more dreaded than death. Were I afraid I should be unhappy, but no safer. I prefer to be simply cautious."

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir. In general, I believe that for all practical purposes on any given day or night, a person not leading a risky lifestyle is not statistically likely to be caught in a deadly force scenario. That said, if you are the poor soul sinking to your knees as the light dims from the three quick knife wounds to the abdomen, statistics don't amount to a pile of you-know-what.

As a retired 25-year full-time police officer, I cannot claim to have seen it all, but I do have an understanding of "what" and "who" are out there waiting and planning. Having seen more than a few of the unlikely "statistics", I long ago decided that I would be the "leaver" and not the "left" if push came to 38/9mm/357/45, et al shove.

When giving private handgun instruction to private citizens, I first tried to learn their "skill" levels as well as their willingness to properly learn the handgun of their choice, hopefully 38 or larger. In short, I wanted them first to be actually competent in handling the weapon and then able to make the bullets go where they "told" them to. After this was accomplished, things would speed up and more "practical" shooting became the focus.

One thing all of the actual innocent victims (In some situations today's victim is tomorrow's suspect), had in common was that:

1. They never expected it to happen to them and,

2. They never saw it coming until it was too late.

So, while I view my "always" snub and/or its frequent belt gun companion as forms of life insurance, I also believe in watching folks around me and simply avoid "iffy" situations if at all possible. None of us probably fixate on our life or home insurance, but we know it is there and we don't want it only in force say 2 days a week; I carry 24/7 whenever possible, even though I'd shoot to "stop" and not necessarily to kill. (Sounds nice, don't it?)

Naysayers to the contrary, a person can be armed and can be aware of his/her environment without being paranoid or letting it consume one's life.

I read somewhere that "Death is always smiling at us so we might as well smile back." I believe that I agree with this. It is a journey we all get to make, but competence at arms and situational awareness might let me smile a bit longer before having to meet Death for the final time. I think that sending him my attacker is a better option.

Being aware and competent with the handgun/shotgun/rifle of choice is more important to me than forcing another to use my favorites. That I much prefer the Hi Power or 1911 to some other handguns doesn't mean that the next person does. A man or woman competent with and trusting of their revolver, Glock, SIG-Sauer, etc is better off than if using something they simply do not like or trust in my experience.

Best.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mr. Camp, and others,

Excellent comment as usual. I think the comparison to life insurance/house insurance is particularly apt.

At John Farnam's handgun class, he had advice that reflects your first sentence: "Don't go stupid places, don't associate with stupid people, and don't do stupid things" and you probably have a 99% chance of never having to defend yourself.

It's just the consequences of that 1% that keeps me carrying.

elb

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stephen and ELB,

Thanks for the response. As a Correctional Officer I get to see the worst of the worst on a daily basis. I know what's on the street and get to see the situation worsening rapidly.
People will have to make a choice to be victims or survivors. Unfortunately, most are in a state of "unenlightened ignorance." That being they just don't know what they don't know. If they did most wouldn't believe it.
Your right, most victims fall into the "it can't happen to me" and then when it does it's "I can't believe it's happening to me" category.
Situational awareness is the major key to staying out of trouble. Cooper's color codes apply. That and stay out of places you don't belong or take risks not necessary.
But then WE know that, don't we?

Wes

·
Registered
392 Posts
as a trooper for 5 years and a reserve deputy for 2, ive seen quite a bit, but far from all. ive had to use deadly force, and ive seen those who have had to also. i have also seen those who have had it used on them, including a freind and fellow trooper (James Gross, may he rest in peace).

one thing that can not ever be stressed enough is awearness of your surroundings...caution is better than oblivion.

as a private citizen now with only a dabble of patrol time now and then, i still see the effects of condition white, tombstone courage, and those who felt it couldnt happen to them if they did.........

Mr. Camp is right in pointing out the fine line between paranoia and alertness.

i say carry 24/7. my wife is not so mindfull, and while there is such an infantecimal chance of it happening, i have to occasionally think of the time i may have to carry on without her because of our child. my wife has had the fortune of never being or seeing a victim of crime, this has given her a false scence of security, the only happens to "those" poeple metallity....

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Stephen,

Thank you for the pearls of wisdom in your treatise on "trusting nature". I too am a trusting individual for the most part, but have made "situational awareness" a big part of my life.

Wes, I completely agree with your comments. I too have learned to identify individuals and situations that are potential threats in my daily living environment.

Its always better to be armed. Street violence is on the upswing.

Chris

·
Registered
720 Posts
thanks ELB and Stephen for reminding us of how to avoid a fight...just don't go to stupid places. I often wonder why are there bad, evil people in the world at all? And then I remember that "sin" entered the world way back in Adam's time and is still here. Otherwise we wouldn't need the book of Proverbs as a guide how to recognize evil people. In one place it reads: "Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool in his folly". And that to me is why we need to be armed and know how to defend ourselves.
Going to the practice range myself next Monday.
og

Oh, and thank you Wes for this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts