Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about tritium sights for a couple of CZs, the 75 and 97.

I'd like to hear of some experience others have had with these sights.

My aging eyes need a little help, particularly when the front sight is on a dark "target". I'm have a problem seperating the front sight from the target.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have them on some Grocks. I find them especially useful as 'nightstand' guns, not so much for sighting as for locating and orienting them in the dark.

Friends who have to do night qualifications swear by them.

Are they 'needed'? Opinions vary a lot.

If I was going to depend on them in pitch dark, I'd get something like the 'Straight-8' from Heine and cut the ears off the rear sight so you wouldn't be hunting for the notch.

One of my biggest gun-gripes is the narrow notches in most sights. Plain ones I can fix but 3-dot night sights there's a limit to how wide you can make it.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have them on all of my newer semiauto pistols on MY two SP101's and on a shot gun.I only use a front sight as all I am trying to do is index the front of the firearm. hope this helps Doug

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I have a set of factory Meprolight Sights on my Glock 23 and they help in low light shooting conditions.

The white outline around the dots help with full daylight shooting as well.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try the Meprolights on my CZ75B first. Is that a job I can do myself, or do I need a gunsmith with the proper tools?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Steve,

I'm going to try the Meprolights on my CZ75B first. Is that a job I can do myself, or do I need a gunsmith with the proper tools?
Yes, I would find someone with the proper sight installation tool. They are fairly pricey sights that require the correct sight "pushing" tool to put them in place.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chris. I figured as much, though I don't mind paying to have it done right. I'm going to get the CZ75B done first--and if it helps then I'll I do the 97B.

I just hate to part with the "kids" for any length of time.

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've ordered the Meprolights for the CZ75. My eyes will be glad to get them.

I have noticed that shooting stance has a lot to do with how clearly I see the sights too.

When I was an LEO, (I was trained using the Weaver method in the early 70s) I was of course a lot younger. I didn't wear glasses until I was forty or so. Today, I wear line-less trifocals all the time.

Now I have been readjusting my stance to the isosceles triangle, where I have more problems seeing the front sight as anything other than an indistinct blur. Certainly a stronger stance.

But I've discovered that my using a modified isosceles or modified Weaver, the front sight is much clearer. By this I mean pulling the pistol back a bit from the rigid isosceles and bending my elbows a little.

While not as rigid, the front sight is much clearer and distinct. As recoil does not bother me, this seems to be an answer. After all, it doesn't matter how rigid the arm hold, if I can't clearly see the front sights.

Remember the FBI crouch position? I hated it in the police academy as very unnatural. Yet it was taught as gospel for decades. I did it simply to get through the training, and then went back to getting my gun back into my vision path, daring to raise the gun higher so I could actually point shoot at close range.

But the instructors at the time (both State and FBI) would raise hell with me when I would try it on the firing line.

All of this to say that once the rules are understood, it then becomes a matter of adapting those rules to what works for the individual.

Regards to all,
Steve

G

·
sgphoto,

Do you have any idea of how much Trijicons cost for a CZ75? I paid around $300 to have Novak install his sights on my CZ75. Around the same time SAC had plain Novaks installed on his CZ75 by Wickham Gun Works and it was neither fast nor inexpensive.

I have several handguns with night sights but I do not see them as a panecea for aging eyes or poor eyesight. I prefer plain sights with a lot of light around the front sight.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea on the Trijicon sights. The Meprolights were about 70.00.

Will probably be 30-40 for a gunsmith install.

Steve

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will like the Meprolights on your CZ 75. They came standard on my SP-01 and the white outline around the dots does help with full daylight shooting as well.

Shoot well,

--
Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mr. Lee,
Wish I was down your way so you could do it. Venice and Englewood are one of my favorite places to get away. I like to get a house on the beach for a couple of weeks in October after the crowds have left amd look for shark's teeth.

What do you think of the Meprolights? By the way, I got some G96 and love the smell! Thanks for that tip!

Steve

G

·
I tried some self-illuminating sights many years ago; they were so dim that I found them useless. This turned me off f this type of sight for quite a while. I have heard from very reliable sources that the newer models are much improved and easily visible. In the interim I had shot several IPSC matches in low, and no light conditions. I found that, inside 15 yards, I could do just fine ignoring the sights (easy because I couldn't see them anyway) and point shoot. This method was so successful that I don't see any need for illuminated sights, particularly because I prefer black on black sight and find the dots distracting in daylight use.

G

·
Mr. Lee,
Wish I was down your way so you could do it. Venice and Englewood are one of my favorite places to get away. I like to get a house on the beach for a couple of weeks in October after the crowds have left amd look for shark's teeth.

What do you think of the Meprolights? By the way, I got some G96 and love the smell! Thanks for that tip!

Steve
I am quite fond of the mepro's, and they are guarenteed to light for ten years with a no questions replacement policy as long as the vials are intact.

Engelwood beach is a favorite of my wife's, I have never understood why anybody wants to get all sweaty on sand! :) :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts