Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good training timer. Something that will start, stop, and give splits, etc.
Reasonable cost would be appreciated.

Wes
P.S. Have always used the range loaners, but shoot on a different range...many times by myself so a timer would be nice to set and keep a standard.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Wes,

In the past I used a PACT timer for tactical courses at the office. I was always very happy with how it worked. You might want to take a look at the PACT units.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have only owned one, and it's the only one I've used much at all. Since I haven't used a bunch of them, I can't really tell you how it compares to others, but it does what you mentioned.
It's a CED 8000 (the blue one that has a hinged section with the screen on it).
It's smaller than most, which I think is nice.
I like the folding screen. I thought that would be a weak joint, but it doesn;t seem to be. I hang it on my belt and open the screen so it's 90 degrees from the box, and I just have to glance down at it. But I can fold it closed and it's out of the way.
It has two each "start" and "review" buttons, so you can use whichever is handiest for where you are wearing it, if the screen is opened and in the way, or whatever.
It has an earphone jack, so you can practice without driving people nuts.

It does all the usual things, like delay start, fixed start, stores a series of shots, etc. It has settings for Bianchi Cup, PPC, etc, but I never use them and have no idea what they even do.

The only thing I wish it did better concerns picking up dry fire. It's a hit and miss thing. It might only catch two or three snaps out of ten draws sometimes. I have heard others who have them say they do fine, so maybe it's the acoustics in our house or something.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have a PACT and use it on the few occasions that I actually practice. It went under water during a hurricane and PACT simply replaced the guts at no charge. I recommend it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts