Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. "Handguns" covers a lot of territory. To better understand where your interests lie, I'd appreciate your responses to this poll. Your comments are also appreciated for clarification.

I'm hoping to better understand where to focus future efforts
for range reports, ammo testing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Best.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp

My primary favorites are the 1911 45 ACP and the BHP 9x19mm and the S&W 686 in 357 Mag.

My main interest is in the SD applications, but hunting is a future/ongoing endeavour so the crossover potential of rounds is always of interest.

I lean towards the heavier weights in most calibers 120+ in 9x19mm, 230 in the 45 acp and 150+ in 357 magnum.

For the most part I don't stray to far from the aforementioned, but I am always on the look out for a better more efficient mouse trap.

Keep up the Extremely good work and I look forward to the results.

Regards, Mueller

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

The 9x19 in 124/125grns, .357mag in the 125gr range, .38spl in the 158grn range and yeah, I'll admit to the "thumper" rounds such as the .45acp (230grn) and .45 Colt (250grn). Slow and heavy, though not a favorite mainly because of the traditional .45acp package and the limited factory .45 Colt loadings.

Handguns are Smith and Ruger revolvers with the autos being the 92 platform, be it Taurus or Beretta. If you can find a 1911 with no grip safety I'd be very interested.

I prefer full sized pistols- 4" barrel for revolvers and 5" for autos. The exception would be a BUG that would serve that role exclusively. I subscribe to fast=good and fast and heavy=even better. Velocity loss of 10fps hurts, man. I know it's really insignificant but I don't like it.

If you feel like blowing yourself up for the sake of experimentation, I'd be really interested to know why a case as big as a .38spl is loaded to velocities lower than the 9mm. I've never understood that and believe that the cartridge has more potential both from a service revolver and a backup revolver.

If I get the time I can give you a bit of info on flesh performance against **** and possum. Loads would be 125gr Cor

G

·
I'm at a toss up (again). 1911 or xd, so I voted Other Automatic. Still love my kimber but there's something about a 20-21oz pistol with a grip safety for lazy carry.
But this also could just be the "new toy" syndrome.

Steelheart

·
Registered
67 Posts
My primary interest is the 1911 and so that is what I voted for and I guess it only follows that my favorite caliber is .45acp. I also enjoy Smith and Wesson revolvers and the BHP. I guess you could say that I prefer the more "classic" type of handguns. I am not a hunter nor do I compete in any competitions, my primary interest in handguns is self-defense and just plain fun shooting. As far as where to focus your future efforts goes, I'm not sure if my post will help you that much as I enjoy reading your range reports even if the particular handgun reviewed is not really something I would own. I find it interesting to read about others' choices and experiences with different handguns and ammunition and I hope that this forum will stay open to diversity. I have gotten away from some of the other forums because it seems that if you have a different choice (than 1911 or Glock) or point of view than the mainstream then you are looked upon as an idiot. Thanks to Mr. Camp and Mr. Smith for getting this forum started!

Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I voted High Power, I literarily just can't seem to get enough of them....BUT, I also have quite a passion for the 1911, it is my second choice.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to Mr.Camp's reveiws, they are very professional & honest reports, from a very professional shooter, writer and person.

Please, keep'em coming Mr.Camp!!!

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

G

·
For sport a colt/clone SAA.
For defense I would most likely be carrying a Khar P9 or S&W 442. I would prefer a1911 but due circumstance, laziness, I don't often have one at hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
;)SAC,Hello, in response to your query, my personal intersts lie in semi-automatics. I have owned and competed with 1911's for over 40 years, but in the past few years I have fallen for both the HiPower and the CZ-75B, it seems at my advancing age I am more consistent with a 9mm now than with a .45. I hate to be this honest.
I have owned and shot S&W's and Colts in the past but prefer the semi in handguns esp for PD. Still retain one long gun but that is only for varmints (pests).
You and Josh keep up the good work!

SS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like and own many different kinds of handguns, but I usually carry a Glock 19. It just scratches me where I itch.

I like 1911s, HiPowers, and medium frame revolvers, especially the K-frames and Ruger Security Sixes.

John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like shooters, collectors, hunting, antique and oddballs. Revolver (single and doulble action) or semi. Narrowing it down a little to 1911's, 9mm (HP + CZ), 22's, 44 special and 45 LC.

G

·
My main interest is in the double action revolver, in all its many variations and marques. I also have a great deal of interest in antique revolvers, single and double action. Autoloaders, eh, the older designs like the 1911 and P35 are okay but the new plastic fantastics leave me stone cold.

G

·
When it comes to handguns: fist grab when a handgun is needed is a 1911, commander size preferably in .38 super. After that a .45 ACP of the same ilk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I voted "other automatic".

I usually carry a Colt Pony in a pocket holster, but am more frequently carrying a hi-capacity Russian Makarov in 9x18. I don't even use a holster, but carry it inside the pants with safety on, on my weak side. If I move it forward enough I forget I even have it with me. I have ball S&B ammo in it, I've found it to be reliable and all the gunshop had.

The number of times I have that Makarov with me is ever increasing. It feels good in the hand (Pearce grip) and I have confidence in it.

G

·
Mr. Camp,

When it comes to handguns, I love to shoot anything. However when I lay down my own cash it's usually for a very limited group of them. I'm fairly conservative.

Autos:
1911 / 1911A1, that are more traditional. Such as the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, or a Stock design Colt, or actual military issue.
The newer ones with all the geegaws and gadgets and redesigned grip safetys and such just don't interest me.

Ruger P Series: These are my more recent area of bottom feeder interest. They are ugly to the max, but the one I had a chance to use was dead reliable and accurate beyond my ability to shoot. I'm looking at maybe adding a P90 to my group when I can.

DA Revolvers:
S&W: Older pre MIM and keylock S&Ws will still get my attentions. Expecially big bore N frames.
However anything that has a key lock I'm not going to buy. I'll read about them, and contribute to the thread if I know something.

Ruger: I find the Security Sixes and the GP series very interesting.
The RH and SRHs get my attention pretty quick as well. One of my next purchases will be a RH in .45 Colt.

Single Action Revolvers:
All of them. But mostly the older ones. Colts and Old Model Rugers really interest me. As does most any brand from the past. Those currently made that are traditional, meaning without afterthought safetys and gadgets are more interesting to me than the others.
The FAs and BFRs are boring to me, and the one big turn off is the constant threads and articles about customizing the NM BHs.

All guns comment: One thing I like, and it's hard to find now, is articles and treads where people tell about how they learned to live with the gun of their choice. How they made it fit them, and now live with it and hunt with it or use it for day to day things.
Kind of like how Elmer, Skeeter, and Bill wrote of them. I love to hear from other forum members like this as well. Although many of us live in areas where our day to day handgun use is stifled, I'm sure there is many of these kinds of stories out there.

Hope I've made some sence here. Sometimes it's hard to put things into words.

Joe

G

·
my choice has always been the ruger
single actions, for the target range. (we in canada can`t hunt with handguns, or have a loaded gun in our homes. :-/) then my second choice is the s&w revolvers. :)

ruffbird.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Mr. Camp,

They simply all interest me. I am fond of repeating the saying "too many guns and too little time..."

Chris

1 - 20 of 52 Posts