Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years we were taught thumbs locked one over the other as a two handed technique. Now the IN technique seems to be both thumbs forward with the weak hand thumb resting on the frame. I just can;t seem to get good groups like that. I can shot a split second faster with the first shot but the subesequent shots are all over the place. What do you all do? :-/

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with thumbs one over the other. Not "locked" as such, but I'm right handed and left thumb just sits on top of the right thumb. I don't know how you do it any other way.
FWIW,
og

G

·
Your probably not getting wristlockwhich is the weak thumb forward point, its not so much where your thumb is but more how your hand is. Make a loose fist with your weak hand now stick thumb straight up like a Fonzee "AAYYYY" dont move your thumb but rotate your wrist until thumb is straight forward, check out the pocket at bottom of hand this is what you push the gun into with your strong hand, The hold is most productive using a FISTFIRE full extension type stance, as with traditional weaver you cant really get the wrist locked right

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Hi Threefeathers,

I used to do the "thumbs locked" position and my groups were all over the place. I switched to thumbs forward with my weak index finger on the front of the trigger guard. I shoot much more precisely and with better recovery from this position.

I retain the thumbs locked for revolver shooting.

Do what feels comfortable... have you tried the "thumbs straight up" yet? ;)

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi

Do what feels comfortable...
Best advice ever!

I just had to check, because I'd never thought about it before. I do a "thumbs locked forward" thing.
Keep in mind, grip is purely personal. If thumbs forward doesn't produce groups for you, then ditch it.

In the world of handgunning, particularly defensive, we shouldn't get lost in stances, grips, or even sight types. Go with what works for you, whether the "experts" agree or not. If you know what makes you hit the target, stick with it.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I change my grip depending on what handgun I am shooting.

Generally, I do what also feels most "comfortable and controllable" depending on the size action type, caliber and grip of handgun I am shooting.

Chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great FM, I'm going to have my son in the 82nd get me one. I went to the range today and fired nearly 300 rounds from my Sig 229 and another 100 from one of my High Powers. I did nothing but grip experimantation. With the Sig I had to use locked thumbs as in the FM. The High Power lent itself to either hold but I have decided to keep the same grip as near as possible for all handguns. I shot well with this, lots of head shots at 25 meters using a solid Weaver stance but taking deliberate aim and not rushing.

G

·
I must agree that "if it works for you, do not change it". For me, it is left thumb over right with left index finger in front of the trigger guard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts