Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While down at the LGS a couple of days ago, I walked in and asked if there was anything of interest on the used long gun rack. Surprisingly, the owner walked over and picked up a lovely old double barreled 12 gauge side by side and put it into my hands.

Not thinking too clearly, I just simply muttered "how much?" and was shocked when the owner announced $225.00 and out came my license, CWP permit and credit card... (I don't know how many of y'all know how that goes...grinning)....

In any event, I picked up a lovely old Stevens Model 311 12 gauge SXS for a small, but albeit, respectable price... I really like the old "shotty" and it does need a bit of attention.

While these old guns were made between 1931 and 1948 under the Stevens name, this one is sans serial number which suggests it was built before the 1936 Gun Control Act. I admire the tremendously nice workmanship and tight lock-up of this SXS.... Other than some honest to goodness "nicks and dings" to the buttstock, this gun could almost be new!

I can't wait to shoot it!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have no idea how many 12ga shotgun shell that I fired through an old Stevens SXS shotgun when I was growing up. They were inexpensive(had to be for me to own it) to buy, but really got the job done. It was my duck/goose gun. I sold/traded it off so many years ago, and "upgraded" to an over/under 12ga.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice find Chis, Congratulations. Have to agree those Stevens doubles are quality 12 Ga. Shot Guns.
Finding a classic is a treat!! Waiting fo your shooting report! :tup:
Scott

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey folks,

Thanks for your interest!

The featured Steven's shotgun is actually a Model 311 D made between 1942 and 1948. I did some research yesterday on it and those models didn't have marked serial numbers.

Here's a picture of the left side:

Upon more evaluation of the condition of the shotgun, it does exhibit a small crack at the wrist of the stock. This may be due to the age of the wood or some improper handling at some point in time. While I may eventually refinish the stock myself, I am tempted to leave everything "as is".... (What a great idea!) ;)

However, I am impressed to own her and add her to my collection of shotguns. It represents a piece of history "preserved". I don't know when I will get out to shoot it, but it will sooner than later.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice old SXS Chris.

I am also a sucker for the "double guns" and have several that range in age of production from 1908 to 2010.
The 3, 100+ year old guns do see field use, although the crazy drop (stock) really accentuates recoil in the 12's with "field loads.

Happy hunting with that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohhh ... how sexy it looks. I would also like to take one myself, but at the moment I do not have 225 extra dollars (I decided to save for the car) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts