Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this at a gun show a few weeks back, and I've been really pleased with it. It's a Springfield XD45 Service model.

Currently the only carrying holster I have is the "Gear" holster that came with the gun, but it works quite well, all things considered.

And did I mention that this is 13 rounds of full charge .45 ACP?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

You've really grown fond of the Springfield XD line of firearms and have posted some very nice target pics.

I really have been impressed with several of the reports you have posted and certainly I have grown very curious about them.

Have you found any sources for holsters you like other than the XD Gear holster?

Does SA offer custom shop services for the XD line?

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, Blade Tech makes holsters for these in various configurations, and I'm leaning in that direction as I already know the reputation of the equipment and have used BT products. Just about every major holster maker has something or other available, including duty holsters and both OWB and IWB styles. So finally it boils down to selection.

And SA does offer some services, but there's a cottage industry growing up around these, offering everything from trigger jobs to replacement recoil springs and magwells.

Me, I keep it simple, me. (Cajunspeak nothwithstanding...)

G

·
Hello LRay:
Nice looking pistol. I hope you never have to use more than 7 of those 13 rounds for SD; ammo is getting expensive.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Can't say I'll ever warm up to tupperware pistols, but if I did the SA XD in what ever caliber would be my choice. A good friend owns a guns shop in Wisconsin and he let me torture one last year. Have to say I was impressed. Good choice LelandRay!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello LRay:
Nice looking pistol. I hope you never have to use more than 7 of those 13 rounds for SD; ammo is getting expensive.
I found a company that sells ammo credits: you shoot up what you need, and then someone else has to do without. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't say I'll ever warm up to tupperware pistols, but if I did the SA XD in what ever caliber would be my choice. A good friend owns a guns shop in Wisconsin and he let me torture one last year. Have to say I was impressed. Good choice LelandRay!
I was so impressed with the 5" "Tactical" model that I bought this shorter one. The 5" is now wearing a set of Meprolight tritium night sights, for things that go "boing" in the night, don't ya know.

G

·
LRay:
Are you saying that if you use 7 rounds in a SD situation, there are going to be 7 less people who will be using ammo?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LRay:
Are you saying that if you use 7 rounds in a SD situation, there are going to be 7 less people who will be using ammo?
I'm saying that I deserve more ammunition offset credits than other people do, that's what I'm saying. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
For some reason the pics dont show up today (they do other days).

I have had one of these for about a year now. I carried it as a backup for a couple of weeks then went back to my regular 1911 but it certainly would do.

Mine is reliable, accurate and, unlike my Glock 20, "shootable". I could not control it in rapid fire like I can a 1911 but that might be just an issue of practice with a specific gun. Splits run around .20 for the XD (which beats even a Glock 9mm) but splits for me (with good hits) run .16 or so with a 1911.

Still and all, it is hard to argue with 14 rounds of .45 and gun that has a grip which feels like a Browning!

Carry on!
Jim H.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More power to ya.
It's kind of like buying carbon offsets: somewhere there's someone who isn't using his share of ammo, so I figure I should do my part to make sure it doesn't end up in the wrong hands. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi LelandRay. I get to shoot that pistol often as my son in law bought one when they first came out. They are a fine pistol. The only thing we found was it does not like light loads. Once I got the loads up to 5.5grs of Win 231/230gr bullet it ran like a swiss watch. I put one on my wish list but a HP is up first. Good luck with yours and good shooting.

G

·
LRay in some way that makes sense to me. You are a pioneer in the conservation of "precious" metals such as zinc, copper and lead. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LRay in some way that makes sense to me. You are a pioneer in the conservation of "precious" metals such as zinc, copper and lead. :)
Yep, I'm truly a visionary. For my next crusade, I'm going to institute a one mugger per month policy at the state level. Let the hunting season begin...

Baldy, I found the same thing about the XD and handloads. Using a load of 4.8 grains of Titegroup under a 200-grain SWC Meister bullet, I got lots of failures to feed, though the same load runs great in my Commander. When I use the same powder charge with a 225-grain truncated cone cast bullet, the gun not only works, but the accuracy is outstanding.

Just proves that all things being equal, nothing is er, uh, well, equal, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts