Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Not my most used revolver to be sure, it is my favorite of the ones that I own, an S&W Model 24 w/6 1/2" bbl that I bought barely "used" for a couple of hundred bucks a few years back.

I have been impressed with its accuracy with handloads it likes.

Lighter in the front end than the .44 magnum, the gun feels more like a Model 27 or 28 in the same or similar barrel length to me. Whether this is "good"or "bad" depends upon what the individual shooter prefers, I reckon. It works fine for me, but I do not try and turn the Special into a Magnum.

Not my best nor worst group with this revolver, this target is about average for me. I think any of these shots would have been close enough on the vitals of a Texas whitetail at this distance.(The non-molyed 240-gr. CSWC over 7.5 grains Unique shoots a bit tighter.

As mentioned earlier, I don't try and "magnumize" the Special, but I do shoot "honest" loads in it. Brisk to be sure in the more popular concealed carry .44 Special revolvers, recoil is mild in the heavier/larger Nl-frame and not abusive.

A couple of loads that have worked well for me have been:

Hornady 200-gr. XTP
8.5-gr. Unique
Win LP Primers
Starline Cases
Average Velocity: 1124 ft/sec
Extreme Spread: 47
Std. Deviation: 17

Rucker 240-gr. CSWC
7.5 Unique
Win LP Primer
Starline Cases
Average Velocity: 1039
Extreme Spread: 17
Std. Deviation: 7

I limit myself on whitetails to about 40 yards maximum and pass on anything less than "perfect" when using a handgun, regardless of caliber. Within my own self-imposed limits, I have had no complaints with this caliber on Texas whitetails...but most of the time all this one shoots is paper.

If you get the opportunity to pick up one of these and handload, I'd suggest giving one a try. Factory ammo is expensive and most is not loaded quite fast enough in my opinion.

The .44 Special has been touted as an "inherently accurate" cartridge. I do not know if that is true or not; I do know that I've been able to get most .44 Special handloads to group plenty well...and some have been exceptionally consistent. So if it's inherently accurate, that helps, but I also think that it's been offered in some nice revolvers over the years, well-made ones that will group, and it's light recoil makes it easier for many to shoot well.

A bit too large for concealed carry in Texas, I don't really consider this one a defensive arm. It has put meat in the freezer a time or two and is mainly just a pleasure to shoot.

I regret not buying more of these over the years when they were so much easier to find...and at nice prices, but such is the case with most S&W revolvers I'd like to own now, but don't.

Oh, for a time machine...

Best.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Stephen,

I had one and let it get away. Its still in the extended family and I hope to get it back someday.

Who made the knife?

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Steve,

A beautiful gun to be sure. I have a 25-2 that is in the same category for me and looks essentially similar to your 24. I especially admire your grips...where did they come from?

Thanks,

PGM

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very nice looking M24-3.

As I recall, S&W made 7500 of the 24-3's in 82/83. 5000 of the 6.5 inch and 2500 of the 4 inch.

I bought one of the 6.5 inchers when it first became available in early 83. But a burglar decided that he needed it more than I did and stole it in 86.

Since then I've replaced it with another that I found NIB at a S&W Stocking Dealer. I paid less for it than the first one. $275 plus tax. And a few years later I found a four incher LNIB at a gunshow and took it home for only $250. Still have both of them and occasionly take them out for a range trip.

I bought a Lyman #429348 mold that throws a 180 grain wadcutter bullet. Loaded over 5.3 grs #231, the 6.5 inch will put six of them into 1.5 inches at 25 yards in the Ransom Rest.

I don't load the .44 Spl to much over factory levels. If I want a hotter .44, I break out one of my Model 29/629's....

Roadster

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and thanks for the replies.

PGM: The grips are some of the long discontinued Fitz "Gunfighter" grips that I bought NIB from a gentleman named Paul Jones. They have not been made in years.

Best.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks, Steve.

Of course I was hoping there was some website that I hadn't heard of which was selling them (!), but the fact that they cannot be readily obtained (if at all) makes your gun that much more unique. Thanks again for this great example of "old school" S&W.

PGM

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, PGM. You are most welcome. (You know, when I see things/revolvers/pistols/grips that I crave now, it irks me that I can easily recall seeing them by the droves in decades past. I guess it is true that we "never want a drink of water til the well runs dry.")

Best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts