Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I voted neither love nor hate the .40S&W.

I have shot 9mm, 10mm, .40S&W and .45. All but the 9mm feel very close in terms of felt recoil. The most punishing is .45 hardball to me.

I know the .45 is a low-pressure round compared to the other 3 I listed. I have been told that internal ballistics is just like hydraulics, the bigger the surface area that the burning powder has to push on the more work done (I think I said that right).

Not ever having seen anything to contradict that claim of internal ballistics, I feel at relative ease carrying the .45 and don't worry about abusing or overly stressing the gun. If I ever get to the point that the .45's too much in terms of recoil, I'll go to a 9mm. :)

G

·
As a defender of the .40, please don't blame me for the "new" poll results. In fact, I truly only use it in certain guns... :)

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
As a defender of the .40, please don't blame me for the "new" poll results. In fact, I truly only use it in certain guns... :)
Fortyofforty,

It looks like this is a board glitch. They were doing some work on our server earlier and from what I get from support, others were affected similarly.

I've not ruled out a hack, but the fact that this is the only thing that has changed besides "If this box is checked, smiley emoticons will be disabled in your post" when sending PMs, gives me pause before I yell "hacker!"

There were also several votes which disappeared, mine included. There were well over 20 voters and now it's down to five. I'm guessing it is the five who originally voted for the topmost option.

Josh <><

G

·
Normally I would suspect the Gore campaign, but that's for another Board! ;) Just out of curiosity and to get results, perhaps people will vote again....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't see how I can vote again, all I see is the after-voting results page. All the circles that were present (beside the respective choices) and the Submit button are no longer there.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I cannot get the poll to work again. We had this same problem once before. If you want to put up the poll again in a another thread, I have no problems with it. If you do, I'll lock this one and redirect posts to the one that is hopefully working.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hello,

It looks fine to me now, but, it didn't look fine for a while after the glitch thow. I also just voted again and the poll went as normal to not letting me vote again.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Have a G23, BHP Practical, and CZ 75B...all in .40. That runs par with the number of 9mm's and .45 ACP'S I own.
Still, my most used carry guns are .45's...

Wes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Could have sworn I posted to this thread when I voted, but don't see it. Then again I might have thought about making a post or been in the process when I got distracted. (I admin an IRC server and am online a minimum of 6 hours a day -usually more- but have to drop everything else to go deal with problems periodically.)

Anyway, I currently have three .40's; Grock 27, 23 and 24C.

Had a G22 but it never 'felt right' to me. Never malfunctioned but I just had a bad feeling about it. Swapped it off for a rather nice old Colt Police Positive Special (plus boot). The bad feeling mighta been due to the POS I traded for it (Beretta Tomcat that fired ....sometimes) but there was definitely something not right about that particular G22. Prolly get another one someday. Plus I have a LOT of magazines that fit the G22.

The G24C is a real tackdriver, and a fast shooter. I did learn to check the range shed for wasp nests before firing it tho; the blast from the ports disintegrated a nest right over my head and made the inhabitants a bit angry. Usually use 165gr whitebox in it. Been thinking about taking it deer hunting someday, using either Gold Dots or Golden Sabers in it. Still need to do more testing with those.

The G27 is carried occasionally, especially since the G26 is on long term loan. It shoots well with 155gr Silvertips and 135gr HydraShoks. 180gr loads are just plain unpleasant in it.

The G23 is a nice piece; same size as the G19 yet with a slightly different 'feel'. Meprolights installed. It currently sees bedstand and range duty on occasion. Prolly carry it some once it gets a few dings on it, but currently its a mint 2nd generation. 155gr Silvertips.

I'll prolly upgrade the carry loads to GD or GS once I burn up the current stock of Silvertips; still got a little over a half-case of them. Haven't tested any of the budget hollowpoint loads in .40 but the price sure is right on them.

Hitting a milk jug of water with a Silvertip is VERY impressive.

So I like the .40's a lot. Am I gonna sell off the 9mm's? nope. Will I get any more 40's? Probably, if the right deal shows up.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
For me the .40 has the BEST combination of Size/Weight/Power [well the .357 sig also but bullet weight range is limited]. So its a perfect pistol caliber for carry. [the .45 is heavy , big [MUCH reduced capacity] and doesnt work well in short barrels]

I carry a Glock 27 and love it. At first it felt a tad strong but after a while ive become MUCH more accurate with it and quick and enjoy shooting it very much to the point I shoot it more than my G17.

In full size Pistols its a tossup between the .40 and .45 [or even the 10mm]

But the caliber i like best is the .357 magnum. Extremely versatile, can shoot .38 Wadcutters if i desire and large variety of loads available. Only the .45 approaches its versatility but not its affordability.

But its great to have choices!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Will I get any more 40's? Probably, if the right deal shows up.
The right deal showed up. :)

Traded into a reconditioned 2nd gen G22 with night sights. This one feels right.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I don't care for .40S&W, 20% more power than a good 9x19 with 50% more recoil. It's nothing a 147gr +P+ 9mm couldn't do, it was a solution looking for a problem.

The only guns I have fired in .40S&W are a HK USP, Beretta 96, Glock 22 and 27, and a Kahr K40. Although I don't care for the round, I will admit it's pretty accurate in all the above guns I mentioned. I would rather have a .357Sig before a .40S&W. Same mag capacity, better performance.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.