Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wrote in a previous post about the dilemna I was facing for buying a new SW .357. Many of you gave me precious and friendly advices. So I finally cracked saturday for the M65 mentioned before. The range owner, who had it on the showcase for some time, offered to trade it for the Glock 26 I wanted to sold. A nice piece of stainless steel for a plastic gun! I jumped on the offer and will be next weekend the happy owner of a pinned and recessed M65 with a 4" heavy barrel. Stainless is an unknown territory for me as I am some sort of a purist but it will do it as I find wheelgun especially boring to clean!

That M65, with its square butt and fixed sights, will be an adequate companion to my good old M&P.

Bye all.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Larry,

Congradulations on your new aquisition!

There are a number of us on the forum who are M-65 afficianados!

The trade is definately a good one! Glocks are plentiful, but S&W M-65's pinned and recessed are in short supply! In addition to the benefit of easy cleaning, the M-65 will serve you well in environs that tend to damp at times. I searched for many months before aquiring mine!

We look forward to hearing in earnest how you enjoy shooting and handling it!

Again, congradulations!

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello all!

So I went to the range on saturday and picked up that M65. My first SS gun ever! I immediatly throw 3 cylinders of .357 (Magtech 158 gr) and some more .38 (Magtech 158 gr too) to the targets. Found that the recoil was really standable, even with small magna grips - the gun kicks but is not punishing as my 2,5" M19. The 4" bull barrel is a great improvement.

I also admired the fine finish. The stainless steel appear much less forgiving on machine marks that carbone blued steel. With the pined barred and recessed cylinder, that M65 is really nice.

I already did some work: put the Tyler T-grip that was on my M10 - it's a glove now. Stoned slightly the pin that unlocks the cylinder as it protruded slighly from the backshielf. Stoned the back of the unlocking button to put it closer to the frame (just a elegant touch) and tried a another cylinder hand I had left. After some careful stoning, I have now a more positive and deliberated timing and the cylinder locks slightly sooner, with the "click" that allows two stages DA shooting.

I'll keep you informed.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey Larry,

Congratulations on obtaining the M65 4" SS, my suggestion was to go for the M13 3", but you can't go wrong with the M65 in any length. I prefer the SB's but the Tyler-T grips are a nice touch, and it sounds like you made some nice improvements also.

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Larry,

Congradulations! I know that you will enjoy spending time shooting your M-65. What a wonderful addition to your collection of fine handguns!

Stainless steel handguns are a joy to maintain compared to carbon steel handguns and when polished take on the appearance of nickle.

I agree with papabear that it indeed sounds like you have made some very nice improvements to your newly aquired revolver.

Please keep us updated with the progress of your new revolver!

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Papabear,

I didn't forget your advice (and I praise it) but the trade Glock for S&W was really interesting. After shooting .357 through that "4 barreled M65, I find it very easy to control, the flash and noise are tolerable too. Important points for me.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Larry,

I hope you get some time this coming weekend to continue to "wring out" your new revolver and to find out how your modifications work on the firing line.

Are you putting the aluminum colored Tyler T-Grip on your M-65 or the blue?

I ordered new S&W stocks for mine from J&G Wholesale and they do indeed create a more handfilling grip for my M-65.

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As my M&P is blue, I ordered a blue T-grip. I wish I had ordered a second, silver, one if I knew! Tyler makes really a nice job and the blue grip is not displaced on the inox M65, for a traditionnal classy look with the small wood magnas. The ergonomy is good too.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good deal Larry. I would trade plastic for steel any day. Your Grandkids will thank you one day for making that trade. I have a S&W model 19-4 that I will not trade. I just enjoy shooting it to much.
Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts