Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

With the hoopla a number of years ago over the slide failures and locking block redesign on the Beretta 92, I'm wondering if Taurus had the same problems.

Does the slide crack on these things? My round count is getting up there. I've been through the original locking block; what changes were made to the Beretta's and how can I tell if my replacement Taurus locking block has the same mods?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, Josh. It is my understanding, if I'm remembering correctly, that the 92's that broke slides had been shot lots with ammunition way over what we would call +P. I do not know if the locking block was changed or not. I've never trained with SEALS or seen them shoot case after case of ammo through their firearms, but have seen more than a few Model 92's and a couple of Taurus PT92's regularly on the police qualification lines. I have seen one Beretta Model 96 that was broken. It had a cracked breechface.

I have seen a couple of PT92's and 99's that were used pretty heavily by a former IPSC shooter in my area. This man remains one of the finest shots I've ever met and he's spanked me in a match or two back when we competed, but he shot tubs of warmish 9mm handloads through his PT's with no problems.

I have but one. It's not been shot nearly so much as my other guns, but has more rounds than many shoot through a handgun. I continue to enjoy it. When you first posted this, I emailed a fellow I know who is a heavy shooter and big fan of the PT99 and asked his advice. He said that he's had no problems with his pistols at all. He does change the lock block and recoil springs when needed. I asked him how often that was and was told that he changes the recoil spring about every 2500 rounds and the lock block about every 4K to 4500 shots. I asked him how many times that was on the guns he's shooting. The answer was three times on one and twice on the other.

I forgot all about it until tonight.

Best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While my PT92 was a sample of one, I fired ALOT of various 9mm ammo through it over the years, I'd guess between 20 and 30K rounds. I don't recall it ever having a stoppage.

I've seen numerous broken locking blocks on military Berettas. A local National Guard counter drug group shoots on my range fairly often. They break a locking block nearly every trip to the range, this would be with regular miltary ball ammo. The Beretta 96s are even worse in my limited exposure.
I'm told that the newer locking blocks solve the issue, which has to do with how the part is made, radius of the cuts on the part, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts